Thank You for Saving Me a Lot of Hassle

RonHeiby
RonHeiby
Community Member

Continuing my march through all of my passwords and updating them all, getting rid of obsolete stuff, making "security questions" answers random, etc. today, and after I'd been working on it for just a bit too long, I saw that my mortgage company was still to be done. Apparently, I had neglected to tag it or think of it when doing the high priority passwords first.

But, no problem, and I'm fixing it today. Signed in and generated a new random password. But, rather than having 1Password fill it in, I used copy / paste. So, I wasn't offered the opportunity to automatically update my entry.

Now here's where I made my big mistake. I thought that the entry was already open for editing, when it was actually just sitting there with the password revealed. So, when I clicked on the old password, thinking that I would command-a and command-v, instead I got the old password copied into the copy/paste buffer, replacing my newly created password. Arrgh!

Next, I started going through the password recovery steps on the web site. Luckily, I knew all the answers, including my loan number. But even so, they were really careful, and insisted that I give them the code which they would text of phone one of my phone numbers.

Pro Tip: When you are going to update a password, especially an important one, first make sure that all of your contact information is up to date.

Turns out that two of the three phone numbers they had for me are long gone. One was the apartment I was living in before I bought the house several years ago. I didn't recognize the second at all. But the third, my work number, looked just fine. I did not know this at the time, since they displayed only the last four digits of the phone number, but whoever keyed in my work phone number entered the wrong area code.

So, no code.

That is when I noticed that 1Password had kept the generated password for me, and all I had to do was copy it into my Login entry. Done.

Thanks again for making 1Password, and especially for the features that save us from our own mistakes.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @RonHeiby,

Thank you for sharing with us this story. It has everything: an unexpected turn, a problem that seems unsolvable and a very nice happy ending :smile: We love to hear when you're happy with 1Password!

I'm glad to hear that 1Password was there for you and worked even better than you thought it would when you bumped into a problem! Thank you for the advice on making sure you have the rest of the information correct and available when you update important information, I know I'll keep it in mind! I'm also happy to hear that you're spending some time improving your password security across your accounts.

I hope that you finish this quest without any more trouble, but if you happen to find a problem, remember that we're always here to help you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.