Invisible vault in iCloud

jhuk14
jhuk14
Community Member

Hi.

I've just installed 1Password on a new iMac hard drive, and went to restore the back-up I had made.

I don't recall the exact sequence, but on first opening 1Password, I was told it had found a vault in iCloud. I entered the master password - which I was told was incorrect.

So I instead pointed 1Password at a specific back-up I had made (ending in 1p4_zip), restored it, and it worked perfectly.

However, it then maintained that it had found an additional vault in iCloud, encouraging me to merge the two vaults. At this point, I tried the old master password I used to have - and it was accepted. Merging the vaults did not appear to affect the back-up I had just restored.

The bit that really confuses me is where this older vault, with my older master password, was still lurking. At this point, the hard drive was empty, but for a clean install of macOS Sierra, and with me having entered my iCloud password. It must be somewhere in iCloud Drive - but I cannot find where.

And given that older data with an older password was being stored on iCloud, I'd prefer to know where it is so that I can remove it.

If you can let me know where I can find what 1Password stores in iCloud Drive, that would be v much appreciated. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.33
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

HI @jhuk14

Thank you for taking some time to contact us. You're right, when you stop syncing with iCloud the data still remains as it is at that moment in there. If you want to delete all your 1Password data from iCloud just go to your Mac's System Preferences, pick iCloud, then Manage. Find 1Password on the list and click "Delete Documents and Data". That will take care of it :chuffed:

Please let us know if this goes well for you and if there's anything else that we can help you with!

• jhuk14
    jhuk14
    Community Member

Super, thanks Pilar.
    That also answered the mystery of how to deal with other apps using iCloud, but without having a visible folder...

Just to double-check - if I delete documents and data relating to 1Password, then

• first, it won't delete my vault, right?
    • second, if I then turn iCloud back on, it will work again for syncing between devices, and without the old data in there?

Many thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jhuk14,

On behalf of Pilar, you're very welcome!

Just to double-check - if I delete documents and data relating to 1Password, then

• first, it won't delete my vault, right?

Correct - doing that would only delete data from iCloud, so your data would still be in 1Password.

• second, if I then turn iCloud back on, it will work again for syncing between devices, and without the old data in there?

That's also correct - enabling iCloud in 1Password on the first device will make a new copy of your data in your iCloud account, and enabling it on the second device will prompt you to merge with the data it finds in iCloud.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

• jhuk14
    jhuk14
    Community Member

Super. Many thanks @Drew_AG!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.