Freeze or internal_error when checking for updates [Should be fixed as of 2016-10-17]

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hudl2user, @tsanchai: I hope you don't mind, but I've added you to the preexisting discussion on this issue. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything wrong that we can fix on our end. Please see my comments above for more details.

• rafche
    rafche
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Hi!

Since Yesterday, 1password is not starting anymore.
    The Applications is searching for updates, but there is no response.
    I tryed to reinstall, but this was not working for me.

Is there a way, to skip the Version check?

Cheers
    pris

1Password Version: 4
    _Extension Version:
    Not Provided
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    _Sync Type:
    Not Provided

• AKMurphy
    AKMurphy
    Community Member

Running 1Password version 4.6.1.616 on windows 10. I been running 1Password on this computer for some time. Recently (this week) if I go to HELP>Check for New Version... 1Password hangs. I get a dialog box "Checking for New Version..." and nothing. Clicking on Cancel results in a Windows prompt to say that the program has stopped working.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 10.0.14393
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• yann_rouxel
    yann_rouxel
    Community Member

Hi
    I have the same problem with my registered standalone version 4 for windows 10... (freezing on searching for updates)
    I have installed version 6 wich is working fine.
    Do I have to give away version 4 ???
    Thanks
    yann

• Hi @AKMurphy,

Thanks for writing in.

We're investigating a related issue to this, this may be because of a recent issue with the GlobalSign's certificates that we used on our update server, which is appearing as broken to apps and browsers. It will take a few days for this to be resolved globally but we are looking to updating our apps to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future when certificates fails and we can switch over to a different one quickly.

• AKMurphy
    AKMurphy
    Community Member

Interesting. I've read GlobalSign's confession & all due credit to them for publishing that level of detail. However, this should result in an error message from 1Password and not in the program hanging!

• BarryBurek
    BarryBurek
    Community Member

Same issue here, windows version 4.6.1.616 Win 7 SP1, but on my Mac version 6.3.3 the check for updates query works just fine.

Your link refers to delete both OCSP and CRL cache?

• chcrwc
    chcrwc
    Community Member

Just installed new Lg 22M47 monitor and after installing drivers, my one password program is stuck in the checking for new version window. I have uninstalled the drivers for the monitor but the one password program wont open.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:1 password program stuck in checking for new version after new monitor installed

• chcrwc
    chcrwc
    Community Member

Just installed new Lg 22M47 monitor and after installing drivers, my one password program is stuck in the checking for new version window. I have uninstalled the drivers for the monitor but the one password program wont open.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BarryBurek: Correct. That's what GlobalSign is recommending. But while it has helped some, for some reason it didn't in my case. The problem just cleared up as quickly and mysteriously as it began. :unamused:

• Drogi
    Drogi
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

I've the same error situation with latest version of 4.6 running on windows. Turning off Kaspersky all is fine. Only difference is my error message. I got one which is pointing to an update of 1P v6 (see attached pic).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Drogi: I'm sorry for the trouble! As mentioned previously, you can download the app from the AgileBits website. Please see my comments above for more details, and let me know if you have any questions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chcrwc: Don't worry! This isn't related to you monitor. The timing is coincidental.

@rafche, @yann_rouxel: I'm sorry for the trouble! I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post with the existing discussion.

An issue with the GlobalSign root certificate authority yesterday is still affecting some people.

You may be able to resolve it by clearing the certificate cache on your PC. Otherwise you'll have to wait for it to propagate. In the mean time though, if you disconnect from the internet temporarily you can open 1Password without checking for updates.

Interesting. I've read GlobalSign's confession & all due credit to them for publishing that level of detail. However, this should result in an error message from 1Password and not in the program hanging!

@AKMurphy: Indeed. For most people, it's returning an "internal_error". With some configurations though it's simply hanging or freezing. It isn't clear why. :unamused:

• rafche
    rafche
    Community Member

Hi!

Things i´ve tried:

• flush DNS --> no change
    • delete & install --> no change
    • restart several times --> no change

I regonize, my CPU goes up to 100 %.
    Can this caused, the root certificate ?

Chees
    pris

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rafche: It's possible that it's using a lot of resources initially to refill the cache, but that should not last long. Unfortunately while clearing it helps some, it doesn't help everyone. Depending on the region, we may just have to wait this out. It's already been a few days though, so it shouldn't be much longer at least. :unamused:

• Carriolan
    Carriolan
    Community Member

Been following the thread: 1 Password for Win10 is still not responding .... still checking for new versions ..... I too have installed the latest version from AgileBits and have cleared caches too.

• Hi @carriolan,

When you said 1Password for Windows 10, do you mean 1Password 6? This is only affecting 1Password 4 for Windows.

We suspect by late Monday, this issue should be addressed but we are working on a code change to try to work around this differently, so it doesn't happen again.

We'll update this thread as soon as we have more information.

• Carriolan
    Carriolan
    Community Member

Yes, 1Password version 4.6.1.616 running under Win10 - Thanks

• Thanks for the clarification.

• Hi guys,

The cache should be reset for everyone now, please give it a try.

We've tested it and it is working now for most of us.

• bioxx
    bioxx
    Community Member

Clearing the cash seems to have worked or me. Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@bioxx: It is nice to hear that everything works now. Thank you for keeping us posed! If there is anything else we can help you with, please reach out to us anytime.

Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.