Delete Primary Vault in iOS

Options
rvinson307
rvinson307
Community Member

The release for 1Password 6.5 says: Primary vaults can now be removed when a 1Password.com account exists. {OPI-3608} How do I accomplish this. I have a 1Password.com account.

1Password Version: 6.5 for iOS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rvinson307: Sorry for the confusion there. This feature isn't retroactive; rather, if you had just now added a 1Password Account you'd have the option to have 1Password migrate your data in this fashion. Currently the only way to get rid of a Primary vault after the fact is reinstalling the app. Just make sure you backup your data first, and then you can set it up with only a 1Password Account from the outset. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rvinson307
    rvinson307
    Community Member
    Options

Will this also work for my Desktop (Mac Book Pro) with the new changes or only for iOS devices? If I delete 1Password on my Mac Book Pro(running Sierra), will I be able to delete the Primary Vault there also?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rvinson307: We've implemented a way to disable local vaults in 1Password for Mac a while back, so if you've already removed your secondary vaults (if any) you can go to 1Password Preferences > Advanced and uncheck the Local Vaults option to destroy the Primary as well. I hope this helps!

• rvinson307
    rvinson307
    Community Member
    Options

However, I don't want to disable my secondary vaults (I have a Personal Vault). And if I do so, and then uncheck the Local Vaults option to destroy the Primary, won't I lose my data? Even if I have backed it up, if I restore a backup, won't it then also restore the Primary vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rvinson307: Indeed, if you remove all the local vaults they will be gone from 1Password. It isn't possible to both disable local vaults and use local (secondary) vaults, but there's no harm in using both local vaults and those in your 1Password.com Account. I do myself. One thing that I find helpful is to use the 1Password Settings/Preferences > All Vaults > Vault for Saving option to avoid saving to rarely used vaults by accident.

You are correct that backup/restore will include the Primary vault, but there's nothing to say you need to use that. And of course, there's almost certainly no need to have an unused Primary vault in the first place since you're using secondary vaults. You could simply setup the app to use one of your current secondary vaults as the Primary, thus decreasing the surplus vault population. ;)

• rvinson307
    rvinson307
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! Merry Christmas!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Merry Christmas to you too, and happy new year! Be sure to get in as many other holidays as you can too! ;)

This discussion has been closed.