Using 1Password account on PC without admin rights?

At the moment I'm using 'standalone' 1Password on Windows 7 (actually a Parallels VM), Mac OSX and iPhone. I like the idea of the accounts. And unlike so many other users I'm not going to bleat about the monthly charge.

One of my commonest usage patterns will be when I'm at work and log on to one of the Windows 7 machines there. It's part of a large network, and heavily secured. So as a non admin (I mean Windows admin) I'm limited to what I can install.

If I enter my Master Password and Account Key on that machine (it'll usually be the same one), will the machine 'remember' it? Or does the act of 'remembering' the Account Key need Windows admin privileges?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JohnnyLydon
    JohnnyLydon
    Community Member

I have 1Password 6.2.333d. on Windows 7. Non subscription version. I also have 1Password on Mac OSX and iPhone.

I don't seem to be able to edit items in the Windows version (or add them). Is this still in beta, as commented above?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @JohnnyLydon,

Thank you for reaching out and giving us a chance to help! :)

1Password 6 is out of beta, but at the moment it is focused on our subscription-based 1Password accounts and supports local vaults in read-only mode (that is why you can't edit items). We have plans to bring the full support for local vaults to 1Password 6, but there is no timeframe for it at this point. If you are planning to use a local vault, it is safe to stick with 1Password 4 for the time being.

Are you by any chance interested in 1Password account? ;) Thanks in advance!

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

++
    Greg

• JohnnyLydon
    JohnnyLydon
    Community Member

Hi Greg

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually syncing via Dropbox with 1Password on Mac. But presumably that is still a 'local vault'?

I am interested in an account. But have a specific query:

One of my commonest usage patterns will be when I'm at work and log on to one of the Windows 7 machines there. It's part of a large network, and heavily secured. So as a non admin (I mean Windows admin) I'm limited to what I can install.

If I enter my Master Password and Account Key on that machine (it'll usually be the same one), will the machine 'remember' it? Or does the act of 'remembering' the Account Key need Windows admin privileges?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm actually syncing via Dropbox with 1Password on Mac. But presumably that is still a 'local vault'?

@JohnnyLydon: Correct. It's a local vault in that it is stored only on your device unless you (optionally) sync it elsewhere. 1Password.com vaults are stored on the server, and accessed on individual devices from there.

Great question! While the 1Password apps currently require admin privileges to install (we're working on our own installer so we can get away from this limitation in the MSI we're currently using), storing the Account Key in the app or browser does not require this. So you could access your data through 1Password.com if all else fails.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• JohnnyLydon
    JohnnyLydon
    Community Member

Thanks

"... storing the Account Key in the app or browser does not require this. So you could access your data through 1Password.com if all else fails."

So if I log onto a machine as a non admin user, might the Account Key be stored in the browser on that machine? By which I mean, will it be available the next time I log on?

Sorry to be so fussy. But easily the commonest situation where I need to used 1Password on a device I don't own is the one I describe. If I have to re-enter the Account Key every time I log on it will be a pain, and make the option of a 1Password account a lot less attractive.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@System: I've merged this discussion with the separate thread you started we can have this conversation all in one place. ;)

So if I log onto a machine as a non admin user, might the Account Key be stored in the browser on that machine? By which I mean, will it be available the next time I log on?

Yep! That way you'll only need to enter your Master Password each time when logging in using the authorized browser.

Sorry to be so fussy. But easily the commonest situation where I need to used 1Password on a device I don't own is the one I describe. If I have to re-enter the Account Key every time I log on it will be a pain, and make the option of a 1Password account a lot less attractive.

That's totally understandable! Frankly it gives me a bit of a rash any time there's talk of accessing sensitive information on a machine you don't control, but using one in a business setting (where presumably you're the only one using it) is less dire than a truly public machine. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.