PW Different Between iCloud and Dropbox???

ajvilar
ajvilar
Community Member

I was having issues with the Dropbox sync so I've switched the sync to iCloud now the master password doesn't work! Is the password different from iCloud and Dropbox? Any help???

Comments

• ajvilar
    ajvilar
    Community Member

The sync options are also greyed out so I can't switch back to Dropbox

• ajvilar
    ajvilar
    Community Member

Please help before my wife strangles me!!! >_<

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ajvilar,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your master password after switching the sync to iCloud! It sounds like you may have been expecting an immediate response here, so I wanted to mention that although we do our best to get to every post as soon as possible, this isn't a live chat - these support forums are more like "public email" than text messages or live chatrooms. Despite things being rather busy here lately, I'm happy to have been able to reply to you within a few hours of your original post. :)

But getting back to the problem... do you mean that after switching from Dropbox to iCloud, your master password no longer works to unlock the 1Password app on your Mac? If so, that's very strange. Had you ever used iCloud to sync 1Password before, or was this the first time? If you synced via iCloud at some point in the past, is it possible you had been using a different master password back then? If so, and if you happen to remember the old master password, you could try that to see if it works.

It's also possible this is a coincidence, and something else is preventing your master password from working as expected. You can find some tips that might be helpful in this support article: If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password

Alternately, it might be easiest to simply restore 1Password from a backup. To do that, open the 1Password app on your Mac and go to File > Restore. In the window that opens, select the most recent backup from before the problem started, and click the Restore button. Once it restores, try unlocking it with your master password like usual.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• ajvilar
    ajvilar
    Community Member

Thanks for the help Drew!

I don't remember if she'd ever use iCloud for syncing but I've tried the restore method and its still not working with her password that knows.

Would it be possible to go back to the Dropbox sync? I still see the files in her Dropbox folder?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ajvilar,

I'm a little confused - are you having trouble unlocking your 1Password data with your master password, or is your wife having trouble unlocking her 1Password data with her master password? Do the two of you share the same iCloud account and/or the same Dropbox account? Did you change the sync from Dropbox to iCloud in the 1Password app on your Mac or your wife's Mac? (Or do you share the same Mac?)

The reason I ask is because, for example, if you had your own 1Password vault on your Mac, and your wife had her own 1Password vault on her Mac, but you both share the same iCloud account and you both synced 1Password with that iCloud account, both 1Password vaults would have merged with each other, and the master password on one Mac might have changed to the master password from the other Mac. That might not be the exact same scenario as what actually happened, but I'm wondering if it was something similar to that.

Would it be possible to go back to the Dropbox sync? I still see the files in her Dropbox folder?

You won't be able to change the sync settings while 1Password is locked, but you can reset the 1Password app and then set it up again by choosing the sync file in that Dropbox folder. To reset the app, open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data, then follow the on-screen instructions. After resetting it, 1Password will open to the 'Welcome' screen, and you can choose the Dropbox option there.

I hope that helps! Let us know how it goes. :)

• ajvilar
    ajvilar
    Community Member

Thanks Drew,

The whole issue is regarding my wife and her 1Password master password I was just merely helping her do what I can to retrieve it. It's just one account.

To reiterate and gonna try to clarify , there was an issue with Dropbox not syncing on her iPhone. So I switched the sync to iCloud. Once she opened the app again the master password didn't work. We then tried using the Mac which is synced to the same Dropbox account and the master password didn't work either.

My wife was certain that it's the same PW she's been using. But once I logged it off from Dropbox, it no longer worked.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying, @ajvilar! That definitely helps. If I understand, your wife uses 1Password on an iPhone and a Mac. You switched 1Password on her iPhone to sync with iCloud, but 1Password on her Mac still syncs with Dropbox. After making the sync change on her iPhone, her master password stopped working on both her iPhone and Mac. Is that all correct?

If her Mac is still syncing with Dropbox, it would have been unaffected by the switch to iCloud on her iPhone. So, if her master password won't work on either one, it sounds like switching to iCloud is unrelated to that - especially if a backup from before the switch won't accept her master password either. Out of curiosity, did you/she try restoring 1Password on her Mac from other, older backups? Or did you just try one? It might be worth trying to restore from older backups to see if any will accept her master password.

If she's positive she's entering the correct master password, but it's not accepted on her Mac or iPhone, it's likely because of something simple (like caps lock, keyboard layout, etc), and the steps from the article I previously sent you should help: If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password

Did you and your wife go through the suggestions in that article?

Also, does she use 1Password on any other devices aside from the Mac and iPhone you've mentioned? If so, can she still unlock it on the other device(s)?

This discussion has been closed.