To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I enter my license for 1Password6 on Windows?

Options
bruinbits
bruinbits
Community Member

I have a 1password license. I have no idea what kind it is - you are by far the most schizophrenic company I've ever dealt with when it comes to licensing and run IT for many large public companies (seriously, 1p get your s**t together, hahah). I happily just buy whatever you ask me to buy when you ask me to buy it. As a user who's installed recommended and installed hundreds of paying users, I am INSANELY frustrated with the lack of platform parity and workflow to the point where I am completely lost right now.

I have 2 old computers (for elderly people) that I'm attempting to update. A macOS Sierra device that had 1Password 3 but I just updated that to 1Password 6. The update process was smooth and my new software seemed to begin on a 30day trial. The appropriate 1p license file is stored in a 1p document, so I simply made sure the new software was pointed at the right DB (it was trivially found in Dropbox as expected), unlocked the vault, then clicked on the license key to activate the program.

I then went over to a Window7 computer that is running 1.0.9.342. I downloaded the installer for 1Password 6 on Windows and installed that (sidebar: I had to go install .Net, which was fine). I'm now at a "Sign in to 1Password Account" challenge screen. How the f* do I simply use my existing family pack license? Where's the "start in trial mode [so I can point you at the existing vault that has my license, just like I did a few minutes ago on Mac]" button?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How do I enter my license for 1Password6 on Windows?

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hey @bruinbits,

I'm sorry for all the confusion, I totally understand where you're coming from. I completely agree with you - our older license model is extremely confusing.

Platform parity and consistency is something we've been striving for for a long time, and with our new 1Password memberships we are hopefully getting one step closer. In case you haven't heard about them yet, you can find out more info here:

https://support.1password.com/why-account/

With a 1Password membership all the apps are included in your subscription and you simply sign into your account - no need to purchase and apply a license to each app. Also everything stays in sync automatically without having to manually set up third party sync options like Dropbox or iCloud. We really believe this will help eliminate a lot of confusion for new customers and it is by far the best way to use 1Password.

Our 1Password 6 for Windows app was rewritten from the ground up with consistency in mind, and is getting closer and closer to platform parity with 1Password for Mac. However, it only works with a 1Password membership and can't be licensed the old way.

I hope that helps clarify things! Let us know if you have any more questions.

• bruinbits
    bruinbits
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that does answer my question (answer: "AgileBits changed things, your old license does not work and you need to buy something new").

• Meek
    Options

Hey @brunbits,

Just to clarify, any 1Password for Windows license you purchased for 1Password 4 for Windows absolutely still works with 1Password 4 for Windows (you can download it just under the big Download button in the Windows section here: https://1password.com/downloads/).

If you'd like to use our new 1Password 6 for Windows, however, then it does require a 1Password Membership.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

This discussion has been closed.