Chrome 58 Required

The chrome extension requires version 58, but unfortunately my workstation is locked at 56 for now. Just curious if there is any true 58 dependencies or if it is version locked just to limit testing variables?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hey @twonine,

Welcome to the Support Forum!

Great question! For a bit of information, we used to require 59, but we dialed it back since many distros don't have 59 in their stables channel yet. I'm a little dizzy, but I've looked through most of the Chrome APIs we are using, and I don't see anything that specifically requires 58.

For security reasons, we always recommend that 1Password users update their web browser (and operating system) to the latest version directly from the official developer. Linux is going to be an interesting change for us, and we might need to look at how we will officially support 1Password for Chrome. Many distributions only ship with Chromium and their developers decide which version they want in their official repositories. This might add some challenges, and unfortunately, we just haven't sat down to hash that all out yet. Since this is a beta (that has only existed for a couple of weeks), I think it's fair for us to try and focus our effort on supporting the latest versions of Google Chrome.

We try to be as forward thinking as possible, and development takes time. If there's a new Chrome API we want to implement and test, it's better for us not to worry about changing our version requirements.

On a personal note, to protect myself, I only download and use the latest version of Google Chrome which I get from their official Linux Repositories.

I'd love to hear more specifics why you're "locked at 56", to hopefully help us make a more informed decision in the future on version support. To keep the reasoning more private, you can send me an email at linux@1password.com with a link to this thread. I might also be able to help get something out to you sooner than later.

Thanks for using 1Passord – I hope you have a pleasant weekend!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.