Old version of 1Password won't open [legacy 32-bit apps cannot run on iOS 11 or 12]

Comments

• STT
    STT
    Community Member

Just emailed according to your instructions. I am using a iphone 6s with just upgraded ios 11.
    My support ID is [#LSG-42364-253].
    Really appreciated your kind help on this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@charliecosta, @stevegreen, @STT: Sounds good. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

ref: CFS-44692-512, WTB-79522-416, LSG-42364-253

• sjn01
    sjn01
    Community Member

Hello. My support ID is [#HQT-85119-892].
    Thank you for your assistance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sjn01: Thanks! You'll hear from us shortly.

ref: HQT-85119-892

• ingmar
    ingmar
    Community Member

Guys - thank you for the support. You did an excellent job!
    Ingmar

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Ingmar -- glad you were able to retrieve your data! :)

• princeps
    princeps
    Community Member

Cannot access anymore to my 1password application on my Iphone 6. My phone says 1Password does not function with IOS 11.
    How can i update 1password to IOS 11??11

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 11.0.1
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:how do I update my 1password to IOS 11 on my apple6 phone?

• Charliez
    Charliez
    Community Member

I have an older version of 1Password on my iphone. The version I have will not open with the new ios 11 update. I would like to retrieve my data and purchase an updated version of 1password to store my passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:1password is not working with my iphone update

• Hi @Charliez,

Please see this post.

Thanks!

Ben

• Hi @princeps

Please see this post.

Thanks!

Ben

• Stoney926
    Stoney926
    Community Member

Hi, Sorry but Im also one of those who hadn't updated the 1password for some time and therefore never saw the warning about it being retired.
    I believe I have all the info you require for me to extract that data.
    My support id is MYK-31157-337.
    Eagerly awaiting a support email.
    cheers, Craig

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Stoney926: Thanks! Just to clarify, we cannot recover anyone's data ourselves, but we're happy to walk you through the process. I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there.

ref: MYK-31157-337

• ginam1970
    ginam1970
    Community Member

Please help! I'm in the same boat as the others.
    My support ticket # is #PCG-66227-274.

• L_Lincoln
    L_Lincoln
    Community Member

Support ID is [#FSS-95269-966]
    Question am I saving my back up file to the desk top? It shows in the cloud on the provided link but in the instructions it seems like it is on the desk top.

• ian.duffy
    ian.duffy
    Community Member

I’m also in line to get help with this problem. My Support I.D. is; [#YKB-35522-585]

A big thank you.

• Stoney926
    Stoney926
    Community Member

Hi, sent you an email. Ive got to the last step but it now says the file I want to import is invalid. aargh!

Guys was there no way, considering the drama this has caused to the many people above and yet to come, that you couldn't put out an update for the old version? Many of these folks will be so annoyed they won't subscribe to your new app.
    Is there a technical reason it couldn't be done? Or just a business decision?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Stoney926 - one of us will reply to you via email regarding the problem you're having on the last step with an invalid file format, but I wanted to answer your other questions here (since you asked them here :) ).

The overall answer is that there are plenty of technical reasons. 1Password 3 for iOS was a great product in its day -- but that day is receding ever-further in the rear view mirror with each passing week. Version 3 was last updated in 2012 -- back when most of the world was still rocking iPhone 4. Over time, it has become less and less compatible with newer versions of iOS, and I personally am frankly surprised anyone is still able to use it effectively on the last couple versions of iOS.

Like the hardware of its era, the OSes and the software - including 1Password 3 for iOS - remain to a large degree suspended in time. They will still work just fine if you have ALL "vintage" components -- your hardware devices, your OS, your peripherals and your software (well, at least as well as they ever worked). What becomes more and more difficult - eventually verging into "impossible" is updating a given version to take advantage of all the newshiny while simultaneously keeping it retrofitted to work on older and older OSes.

If someone hasn't upgraded yet to iOS 11 and is still rocking 1Password 3 for iOS on iOS 10 or earlier, it remains a much easier process to transition into the current version of 1Password, than what's now required for people who did choose to upgrade to iOS 11 before upgrading 1Password. But time marches on, and back when it was announced, we knew the incompatibility was coming with the release of iOS 11. That's why we've been issuing warning screens (as shown here) for months to remaining 1Password 3 for iOS users, specifically so that people still using a version of 1Password that was last updated in 2012 would have plenty of time to get transitioned over to the current version. As you can see from this thread (and your own email exchange), we stand ready to do what we can to help those users who were unable to get transitioned before upgrading to iOS 11...and we'll continue to do so, happily. But extending fixes and expending developer cycles shoring up products that haven't seen active development in half a decade - to the extent they can even be made on such old code - just means we limit what can be done with current versions, given that there are only so many developer-hours in any given week.

Thanks for the question, and look for an email from us soon! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @ginam1970 -- looks like one of my colleagues is already assisting you, so let's continue the conversation there, to minimize confusion. :)

ref: PCG-66227-274

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @L_Lincoln -- looks like someone's already assisting you as well! :)

ref: FSS-95269-966

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ian.duffy - please continue the conversation via email; it appears someone is already assisting you. :)

ref: YKB-35522-585

• Stoney926
    Stoney926
    Community Member

Hi Lars, I haven't received an email regarding the invalid file response.

In response to yours above - I do absolutely understand, you can't support these things forever. We need to move on.
    But in light of the problems we users now face would it be possible to put out an update that allows access to the old app if only to make the transfer to the new. These are not game points we are losing here. This is serious data in an app that people relied on.

cheers,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Hi Lars, I haven't received an email regarding the invalid file response.

@Stoney926: We try to reply to everyone on a first-come-first-served basis, so we will get back to you via email as soon as we're able. But it does slow things down a bit for everyone and potentially cause confusion going back and forth to respond here as well. So let's continue the conversation via email.

In response to yours above - I do absolutely understand, you can't support these things forever. We need to move on. But in light of the problems we users now face would it be possible to put out an update that allows access to the old app if only to make the transfer to the new. These are not game points we are losing here. This is serious data in an app that people relied on. cheers,

Absolutely. I've lost data myself in the past and it makes me sick that anyone else would. That's why 1Password 3 users have been getting in-app notices from us for years, and from Apple since January. Many of the frameworks used by 32-bit-only apps (like 1Password 3) do not have 64-bit counterparts, so it is not possible for us to simply release a new version.

ref: MYK-31157-337

• Stoney926
    Stoney926
    Community Member

Thanks Brent. ok fair enough. A lesson learnt for the future.

• malibooz
    malibooz
    Community Member

Hello my ****support ID is [#KYP-27872-252
    Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Stoney926: Thank you for understanding. To be clear, I'm not saying we've given up on your data. I don't have a solution for you at this time, but I'm going to reply to you via email and we can explore other options. If and when it's time to give up (i.e. we've exhausted all options) we will be straight with you about that. But, from what I can tell with a look at your case and in talks with the rest of the team, there is still hope. We'll be in touch shortly.

• bckwheat
    bckwheat
    Community Member

My support I’d number.

FCH-46489-496

• sean9999999
    sean9999999
    Community Member

Hi. My support ID is #BYF-23699-598.

Please help. Need to get into my 1Password 3 app on my phone ASAP.

• sjn01
    sjn01
    Community Member

Thank you AgileBits Support. Followed your recommendations today, and successfully recovered the passwords.

Thanks again.
    -sjn

• jimbob99
    jimbob99
    Community Member

Hi there--I'm in this predicament, too. My support ID is [#ULN-59737-221].

Hope you can help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sjn01: Glad to hear it! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

@bckwheat: Thanks! I see that Steve is already in touch with you via email, so let's continue the conversation there. :)

ref: FCH-46489-496

This discussion has been closed.