Is 1 password a brouser?

Is 1Password a brouser? Does 1Brouser have anything to do with 1Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:is 1 password a brouser?

Comments

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

where do I look for reply?

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

How long do I wait for reply?

• @HermBob: 1Browser is what we call the built-in browser in 1Password for iOS, but 1Password isn't a browser itself. It includes the in-app 1Browser as one means of filling your items on iOS, but these days, we recommend using the extension instead.

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

From what I have read, the 1Password should be completely transparent and I can browse as I currently browse utilizing Edge, Chrome or Foxfire and even on my Android? ......and also I understand 1Password can also autofill information for billing and ship to forms? Is that true?

When I "pull the trigger" and download / install 1Password...Is it an all or nothing? What do I do with may existing account passwords? Will they all change to the 1Password auto generated password, or do they change next time I log in to that account? Does 1Password change the existing password currently registered in each account to the newly auto generated password? Is there any possibility I can get blocked or locked out of a critical accounts at a bank or other financial institute preventing me from utilizing me Brokerage or BillPay or other such apps either on my windows 10 pc or on my android?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

From what I have read, the 1Password should be completely transparent and I can browse as I currently browse utilizing Edge, Chrome or Foxfire and even on my Android?

@HermBob: It depends on the platform and browser. But yes, in most cases major browsers work with 1Password.

......and also I understand 1Password can also autofill information for billing and ship to forms? Is that true?

1Password does not autofill. It only takes action to fill information into a web page when you tell it to.

When I "pull the trigger" and download / install 1Password...

Just do it. Seriously. We're happy to answer your questions, but it will make more sense to you if you actually try it. ;)

Is it an all or nothing?

Nope. You can use 1Password to save whichever information you choose.

What do I do with may existing account passwords?

I'd recommend saving them in 1Password so you can 1) use stronger ones and 2) not have to remember them, but that's up to you. But that's the main benefit of using 1Password: stronger passwords you don't have to remember:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

Will they all change to the 1Password auto generated password, or do they change next time I log in to that account? Does 1Password change the existing password currently registered in each account to the newly auto generated password?

No, you'll have to do that yourself. 1Password doesn't have access to your accounts, even when you save the credentials there. That would be creepy.

Is there any possibility I can get blocked or locked out of a critical accounts at a bank or other financial institute preventing me from utilizing me Brokerage or BillPay or other such apps either on my windows 10 pc or on my android?

Yes. If you do not save the correct password in 1Password and have it try to log you in using that incorrect password, you will probably get locked out of the account. Definitely update your login credentials in 1Password when changing them on a website (as outlined above).

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

I downloaded 1Password and it seemed to install OK. I tried to download extension for Edge. There was no extension for Edge or IE listed? Will there be any conflicts with different browsers on one pc?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: 1Password 6 does not support Internet Explorer, as Microsoft is no longer developing it. You can get the Edge extension from the Windows Store/Microsoft Store/whatever they're calling it now:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9WZDNCRDR64J

Just make sure you also install 1Password 6 too:

https://1password.com/downloads/

And no problem to use 1Password with multiple browsers: I've got Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, and Brave going here. Cheers! :)

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

OK...I knew it...I locked myself out of my bank account already. It seems all to easy for 1Password to save and lock my old passwords. However I had some problems when auto generating the new secure password. How does the newly generated password get put into an existing account? I got unsure part way thru then sent some of my "unsure stuff" to the 1Password trash bin. Maybe I threw out my new password that was already registered in my account login? I had to call my bank to reset my password.

BTY, the 1Password 6 and Microsoft extension downloads worked like a charm. Why isn't the msft extension available directly from your web page? Perhaps a link or note on your web page would be helpful.

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Can I use OneDrive in lieu of DropBox for mobile my devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

OK...I knew it...I locked myself out of my bank account already. It seems all to easy for 1Password to save and lock my old passwords.

@HermBob: I'm sorry to hear that, but 1Password cannot do what you describe. It has only the information you give it, so if the information saved in the app does not match what the website expects you may lock yourself out by trying to do that. But it's the same if you enter bad login credentials manually on the website. :(

However I had some problems when auto generating the new secure password. How does the newly generated password get put into an existing account? I got unsure part way thru then sent some of my "unsure stuff" to the 1Password trash bin. Maybe I threw out my new password that was already registered in my account login? I had to call my bank to reset my password.

It's impossible to say without more information (and, perhaps, without experience with the website itself — I know financial sites can be difficult to navigate), but the guide I linked earlier is key:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

Again, if you do not save the same login credentials in 1Password as you set on the website itself, 1Password will not be able to help you successfully login there.

BTY, the 1Password 6 and Microsoft extension downloads worked like a charm. Why isn't the msft extension available directly from your web page? Perhaps a link or note on your web page would be helpful.

I'm really glad to hear that you were able to get 1Password setup in Edge! Unfortunately Microsoft requires Edge extensions to be hosted in their store, so we cannot put it on our website. Perhaps that will change in the future though.

Can I use OneDrive in lieu of DropBox for mobile my devices?

No. The mobile apps do not support OneDrive. However, this doesn't matter since 1Password.com does not use a 3rd party device to sync anyway. All you need to do is sign into your 1Password.com account in each of the apps to access your data. Cheers! :)

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Hey Brenty,

Thanks for hanging in with me on this.

I am painfully getting use to improving and storing new web site passwords. It isn't really going as fast and easy as the videos. I printed the 3-step "change your password" instructions. After a few hours I now have two web sites working with 1Password. I need to find a better, faster method.

Problem I have encountered include:
    1. 1Password button in the Edge browser does not always drop to be able to generate a new password....other times it does. Have not figured why it is so quirky. Is this an issue with Edge?
    2. At lease once after a new password was generated and copied; it would not paste into the web site box....so I entered it the old fashion way...typing one character at a time....twice... then saved in both web site and 1Password. Is the inability to paste the new password and issue with Edge? Upon return to that web site as a test run the password was not correct requiring a slow and agonizing confirmation and resetting process. Seems 1Password saved a different password than the one I manually typed.

I installed 1 Password on my android. Does not seem there is a 1Password symbol in the upper right as there in on a pc screen. I need to figure out how to browse and login to web sites on my phone with 1 Password before I get too far and find I am loosing mobile access to too many important web sites. Any tips?

Thanks for any advise you can provide.

Thanks
    HermBob

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Hello there @HermBob,

I am sorry to hear that you are having a bad experience with 1Password! Let's see what is happening.

1. 1Password button in the Edge browser does not always drop to be able to generate a new password....other times it does. Have not figured why it is so quirky. Is this an issue with Edge?

Could you please specify this one? Am I righto to understand that when you click on 1Password icon in Microsoft Edge, nothing happens? Additionally, please let us know if you are using 1Password extension in any other browser. Thanks!

1. At lease once after a new password was generated and copied; it would not paste into the web site box....so I entered it the old fashion way...typing one character at a time....twice... then saved in both web site and 1Password. Is the inability to paste the new password and issue with Edge? Upon return to that web site as a test run the password was not correct requiring a slow and agonizing confirmation and resetting process. Seems 1Password saved a different password than the one I manually typed.

When you generate a password using a password generator in 1Password extension, you shouldn't manually type it in (it is too easy to make a typo this way). Please give us an example of the website where you couldn't paste your password in the form, we will check it on our side. Thanks!

I installed 1 Password on my android. Does not seem there is a 1Password symbol in the upper right as there in on a pc screen. I need to figure out how to browse and login to web sites on my phone with 1 Password before I get too far and find I am loosing mobile access to too many important web sites. Any tips?

Please try to use 1Password keyboard to fill in Chrome and apps on your Android device. This article on our website explains how you can set it up and use. Let us know how it goes.

We will be working with you to resolve this issues until you are all set. Looking forward to your reply!

Cheers,
    Greg

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Hey Greg,

Yes, you are correct, I am referring to the 1P icon (radio button) on the top right of the Edge browser.

Yes, I have downloaded 1P extension for each browser on my pc...Edge, Chrome and FireFox. I prefer to use Edge or IE. I have not tried 1P in Chrome or FireFox yet. I have not set up the FireFox browser yet.

I believe the web page I was having an issue with was M&T Bank.

Hope to find time to play later tonight with 1P some more.

Thanks
    HermBob

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Greg -

I had a successful night playing with 1P by updating to secure 1P generated passwords on several web sights. Edge remains an intermittent issue with the 1P icon being non-responsive at times, then a few minutes later its OK.

I came across a note of caution....I changed my password for amazon then went on to order merchandise. Amazon then has another login pop up to process the purchase. This second login was not updated to the new 1P password and 1P then wanted to save that old ******* password in lieu of the new secure 1P generated password from a few minutes earlier!

I think I might be working the problems out of my system. Not easy to teach an old dog....

Thanks,
    HermBob

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob:

I checked M&T Bank website's behaviour in Microsoft Edge and it works correctly. I was able to generate a new password and paste it in their form. 1Password then prompts me to save a new login for it:

Here is how it looks for me after that:

Please give it another try. As for the issue with Amazon, I am not sure I understand what happened there. Could you please specify what is that second login item you have for Amazon? Does it have the same URL?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

If my Note 4 has the fingerprint thing, I don't use it.
    Will 1pw work on Note 4 with master password sign in, just like on desktop pc?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: Yep! 1Password always uses your Master Password. Fingerprint unlock is just an optional feature that some devices support. :)

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Hello,
    I can not get 1pw to work at all on my mobile phone. Where is the 1pw icon hiding on the phone? When does 1pw ask for the master password? Does not seem to be the same experience as on my desktop pc.

• @HermBob: 1Password works a bit differently on mobile. Mobile operating systems just don't give us quite as many tools to work with versus desktops, so the experience is going to be different. I see you're working with an Android, so the first step is to get 1Password for Android. Once you've got the app set up, you'll see the items you've saved previously on your phone. You'll unlock with your Master Password any time you open the app, or you can use fingerprint unlock if your Note 4 supports it. Next, you'll want to start filling. Check out the 1Password keyboard to handle filling on your mobile device.

I hope this gets you off to a good start, but we're here if you have questions along the way. :chuffed:

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

I have 1pw on my android. It is setup with PIN since it will not support fingerprint. I can see my stuff in the 1pw app. 1pw does not offer to auto fill my user name and password when I attempt to log into a web site using my android note 4. There is no 1pw icon or keyboard depicted anywhere on the site login screens. What is the next step after I press LOGIN on a web site?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password only enters login credentials when you tell it to do so. If you're using Android 8, you can use Google's new filling method that 1Password for Android supports:

Use 1Password to fill and save in apps on your Android device

Otherwise, using apps that don't allow this oran older version of Android, you can use the 1Password Keyboard for filling:

Use the 1Password keyboard to fill in Chrome and apps on your Android device

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

The 1pw instruction reads:
    1. Fill a Login
    2. Tap the username field. If you see “Autofill with 1Password”, tap it and unlock 1Password.
    3. Tap the Login item you want to fill. If no exact matches are found, tap “View possible matches”.
    4. Sign in to your account.

When using my Android:

• The user name is already filled in.
    • Tap the username field allows entry of another user ID only.
    • There is NO "Autofill with 1Password” selection available !!!!!!
      I would like the 1pw app to fill the user and password for login. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: Without knowing where you're even trying to do this (not sure what you mean by "When using my Android"), it's hard to say, but it sounds like the app you're using is saving the username (we have no control over that) and doesn't support Android autofill — which also only works on Android 8. Did you try the 1Password Keyboard as I suggested?

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

my mobile cell phone is a Samsung Note 4 which runs the latest Android version 6.01. I am thinking the cell phone has saved and populates the web site username field from before 1pw was installed.

Concerning the 1pw instructions "Switch to the 1Password keyboard by tapping the keyboard icon in the bottom right and choosing the 1Password keyboard."........There is NO keyboard icon in the bottom right........therefor I cannot choose 1Password keyboard.........What's wrong here?

I am trying to use the 1pw keyboard as you suggested. Enhanced keyboard mode is turned on.

1pw seems to work OK on my desktop pc.

thank you,

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob, thank you for your reply!

Did you enable 1Password keyboard in the settings, as described in this guide in our knowledgebase?

Thanks!

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Yes, both Keyboard and Enhanced Keyboard are turned on in 1pw at Settings>Filling. Also 1PW is "On" in the phone at Settings>Accessibility>Services. There remains no 1pw filling of user name or password when logging to web sites on my mobile phone.

I do have the two concerns below.

Concerning the 1pw instructions to Enable the keyboard
    Before you can use the 1Password keyboard, you’ll need to set up 1Password on your device. Then follow these steps:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap > Settings > Filling.
    3. Turn on Keyboard.
    4. Turn on 1Password in the list of available virtual keyboards, then tap OK twice to enable the keyboard.
    From now on, you’ll be able to fill passwords in browsers and other apps with just a few taps.
    *******Please better explain exactly where the "list of available keyboards" may be found as described in step 4. I assume there is an "OK" button there.

Concerning the 1pw instructions to Enable the enhanced keyboard
    To enable the enhanced keyboard:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap > Settings > Filling.
    3. Turn on “Enhanced keyboard”.
    4. Tap 1Password in the list of accessibility services.
    5. Turn on 1Password, then tap OK.
    *******Please better explain exactly where the "OK" may be found and tapped as described in step 5.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: Unfortunately because it can vary widely between devices there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution which will allow we to tell you exactly what you're looking for. It varies from device to device, and also between OS versions/variants. :(

What I can tell you is that the "OK" in both cases is just a dialog box in response to you trying to enable the feature. For me, it asks "Use 1Password?" when enabling it under Settings > Accessibility, to which I have to say "OK".

Once you've done that, in case it helps, some folks have also reported that they can only switch keyboards from within system settings. On stock Android, there is a "globe" icon which you can hold to switch quickly, and most "close to stock" Android allows you to press and hold the Space key to switch as well.

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

I don't know what to say or do. 1pw is installed on my phone. I can open the 1pw app and access 1pw settings and add web sites to the 1pw favorites list but not much more. The 1pw app does not seem to do anything when I try to log into a web site. There is no 1pw popup, no globe and a tap of the spacebar is simply entered as part of the user name.

For me, I turn on 1Password under Services>Accessibility. I have found if I turn 1pw off then back on then I need to tap OK. The OK popup also mentions that 1pw may install scripts. Perhaps these scripts are not being installed or are corrupt? There simply seems to be no 1pw response or fill in when I try to log in a web site on my mobile device. Do I need to tell the Android to delete any previously saved web site log in data? If so where do I do that?

The desktop 1pw seems to be working fine.

Please help with this Samsung Note 4 Android ver 6.0.1 if you can. I am not eligible to update to the Note 8 with whatever Android version for a few months.

Thanks,
    Herman

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

WOW....1pw is now working on my Android Note 4 !!!!!!

I went back and turned all 1pw permissions off in both 1pw and in the phone settings. Cycled the phone off/on. Turned on all 1pw and phone setting again. Cycled the phone off/on. When the phone rebooted I noticed the keyboard looked different. I was the 1pw keyboard. I tried to log into a few websites and 1pw was there but a little difficult to navigate. I went into 1pw and made my more frequent sites as 1pw favorites. Seems to be working OK now....almost as easy as on my desktop pc.

Thanks to the 1pw team for hanging in there with me.....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: Likewise, thanks for your patience and persistence! I'm sorry you had so much trouble for some reason, but that's so great to hear! Really odd that you had to do that. I'm just glad you could set it up there finally. :chuffed:

Were you able to switch between keyboards as I mentioned above? A lot of people find that really useful, since many prefer different keyboards when they're not using 1Password to fill. :)

This discussion has been closed.