Is 1 password a brouser?

2»

Comments

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Brenty,

I can not switch between keyboards exactly as you describe. My experience is itemized below:

1. I can choose to switch from 1PW keyboard to Samsung keyboard by press and hold the 1PW space bar.
      1. I cannot choose to switch from Samsung keyboard to 1PW keyboard by press and hold Samsung space bar.
      1. Samsung keyboard has no globe icon on the keyboard. Where is that globe?
      1. Samsung keyboard has a settings gear icon where I can switch between Samsung keyboard and Samsung pen board input.
      1. I must change in the phone settings to switch from the Samsung keyboard to the 1PW keyboard .
      1. The phone settings will not keep 1PW keyboard as the default keyboard.
      1. The Samsung keyboard has auto spell correct, auto complete and auto predict. The 1PW keyboard does not.
      1. The 1PW keyboard has better character spacing for my fat fingers.

I am thinking the Samsung Note 4 phone with pen board input allows switching to the Samsung keyboard only and precludes short cut switching to the 1PW keyboard as a third input. Also, may be suggest to your future customers to clear out the phone cache to ease the installation efforts and hurtles? What your thoughts?.....

Thanks for all your help.

My next challenge is to forward a 1PW vault to my wife and one of my sons to see if they will start using 1PW. You may be hearing from me in the future!

Chow for now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@HermBob: Thanks for following up! You make some really good points about the pros and cons of using various keyboards. We've introduced some new filling methods and one of those won't work for you because I think you're stuck on Android 6. But we have another we're working on in beta currently that might help, depending on how it goes. Worst case scenario, when you get a new one with the latest Android version, you'll have all of these available to you.

Glad to hear that the 1Password Keyboard is a good fit for your fingers too. Maybe we're distant cousins! :lol:

I was asking around about this since I don't have a Samsung device, but it sounds like if you cannot long-press the Spacebar to select a different keyboard from theirs, you should be able to choose a default keyboard and also switch to another at any time by tapping the keyboard-switch notification that pops up in the notification tray while typing.

Regarding clearing the device cache, I haven't heard of any other instances of that being necessary, but it's definitely something we'll look into in case it can help others.

As for inviting your family and sharing vaults with them, we have a great guide for this:

Share 1Password with your family

But definitely reach out if you have any questions at all. We're here for you! :)

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Will each family member have their very own private vault which is not shared with other family members? Will each family member have a personal, private vault for their own secure data and logins and stuff? Or do they only have access to a shared vault containing those items I choose to share with them which was copied from my private vault?

I do believe they will be more apt to use 1PW if they feel their private stuff is for their eyes only, not shared or available to the family 1PW keeper of the vaults (ie me). How do I get that concept across to them?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Will each family member have their very own private vault which is not shared with other family members? Will each family member have a personal, private vault for their own secure data and logins and stuff? Or do they only have access to a shared vault containing those items I choose to share with them which was copied from my private vault?

@HermBob: Great questions! It's up to you, as the Family Organizer. There are two ways you can invite people:

• Invite a family member ("regular user"): Each person will have their own 1Password.com login credentials (Master Password, etc.) and a Private vault which is only accessible to them (in addition to any shared vaults you give them access to). This is the preferred method for most people.
    • Invite a guest ("limited user"): A guest will have access to only a single vault you share with them. Some people like to use this option for very young children, but really it's up to you if you use this at all.

I do believe they will be more apt to use 1PW if they feel their private stuff is for their eyes only, not shared or available to the family 1PW keeper of the vaults (ie me). How do I get that concept across to them?

Yep! I think that makes perfect sense! Probably anyone who cares about their privacy can be expected to be responsible for it. :chuffed:

One other thing you might want to take into account is that any Family Organizer can recover accounts for the others:

Recover accounts for family or team members

That doesn't allow the organizer to get into their data, but rather if they forget their Master Password the Organizer can help them reset it so they can get into their data again. So it's good to have multiple Organizers. Just keep in mind that an Organizer also has the ability to change vault permissions. I hope this helps! :)

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Hey guys,

I have invited a family member. Does that invitee need to reply before he shows up as a 1PW member in my account?

Does the family organizer create each family member private vault or does the 'family organizer' create the vaults then turn over ownership to the family member? NOTE the family organizer does NOT want access into the family member private vault?

Does each invitee create there very own 1PW account within my master account? Is that all transparent to me as the family organizer?

I would like to help or coach my invitee family member so as to minimize learning curve.

Thanks
    Herman

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Hey guys, I have invited a family member. Does that invitee need to reply before he shows up as a 1PW member in my account?

@HermBob: Yep! Once they setup their account, you can confirm them using the email notification you receive (or right in your account on 1Password.com).

Does the family organizer create each family member private vault or does the 'family organizer' create the vaults then turn over ownership to the family member? NOTE the family organizer does NOT want access into the family member private vault?

When each family member sets up their account, a Private vault is automatically created for them as part of that. No one else can ever access it but them.

Does each invitee create there very own 1PW account within my master account? Is that all transparent to me as the family organizer?

Yep! When they use your invitation to setup their account, they will be part of your 1Password Families plan. You can view current family members and invite new ones from your account on the website:

https://start.1password.com/people/members

I would like to help or coach my invitee family member so as to minimize learning curve.

Totally! Be sure to let us know if you (or your family) have any other questions. We're here for you. :)

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Hi guys and Merry Christmas,

Can you let me know if I can get 1PW to work with my Samsung Smart TV? Is there any extension?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: Merry Christmas to you as well! It isn't possible for 1Password to integrate with any TVs, but one thing that can help is generating a word-based password for a login you might need to use there, so it's easier to read and "type" (or speak, if that's an option — though your mileage may vary), like this:

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Hello Brenty,

I have come into a real annoying and recurring issue with 1PW shutting down often requiring restart. I get the red popup and have sent a report to 1PW. Is there an incomplete update or corrupt file causing this? Let me know what I can do.

On a less urgent matter, some web sites such as Logitech Harmony, FitBit and maybe Samsung Smart Switch has their own page that does not incorporate the 1PW icon for login completion. Is there a general easy method to deal with these situations?

Thanks,
    Herman

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @HermBob,

I do not see any recent error reports from your email address. Could you please try to create a diagnostics report from 1Password on your PC, where you have that recurring issue, so we could take a closer look? When you send a DR, you will receive a reply with a Support ID in it. Please post that number here so we can find your report quickly. Thanks!

As for your second question, you should be able to fill your credentials on sign-in pages by pressing Ctrl + \ on your keyboard (when you have 1Password extension installed. Please check this guide about it. Are you saying that is not the case for you? If 1Password works differently on your side, please specify the version of 1Password extension that you have installed in your browser. Thank you!

Looking forward to your reply! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Concerning the error -
    1. At times the 1PW icon pop-down has a red warning stating "1PW quit unexpectedly. Please click here to submit the report to our team." I always click as requested. Don't know why you do not get the report?
    2. At other times there is a business-card-looking pop-up screen stating "1PW for Windows desktop has stopped working." and "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program." There is no other screen functions available until I first click "> Close the program".

Concerning the alternative credential fill in method -
    I will try the "Ctrl = \" method next time it comes around. I have no idea what version of 1PW extension was downloaded. Where do I find that?

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Dear Essential Beings at 1PW Support,

Nuisance shutdown of 1PW remains. Diagnostics report for 1Password v6.8.496 1519048993 has been sent. My 1PW support ID is #GWH-91445-668.

Sincerely,
    Carbon Based Lifeform HermBob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Concerning the error - 1. At times the 1PW icon pop-down has a red warning stating "1PW quit unexpectedly. Please click here to submit the report to our team." I always click as requested. Don't know why you do not get the report?

@HermBob: I'm sure we did, but we have no way of associating it with you directly.

1. At other times there is a business-card-looking pop-up screen stating "1PW for Windows desktop has stopped working." and "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program." There is no other screen functions available until I first click "> Close the program".

Ah yep. That sounds like a Windows crash dialog. Can you tell me the context in which you're seeing that? What were you doing when that appeared?

Concerning the alternative credential fill in method - I will try the "Ctrl = \" method next time it comes around. I have no idea what version of 1PW extension was downloaded. Where do I find that?

You can find the extension version number in your browser:

https://support.1password.com/update-extension/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: GWH-91445-668

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Brenty ~

RE: 1PW support ID #GWH-91445-668

The 1PW version is 6.8.496 without Beta Builds not included.
    The Chrome and FireFox Extensions are 4.6.12.90.
    I most often use the Microsoft Edge web browser.
    Hope this info helps. Thanks.

• HermBob
  • Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: Thanks! :+1:

Let's continue our conversation via email.

Cheers,
    Greg

• HermBob
    HermBob
    Community Member

Hello 1PW Folks,

I am using the lovingly crafted version 7.1.567 and it is working great for me. On issue which, I believe is a legacy from the previously installed the beta version, is a pop up window every time I log into Windows. The pop up states "Please ensure the latest version of 1PW for windows is installed on your computer before opening Edge to enable the 1PW extension for the first time."

First, I am not sure what action I need to take based on this message? Doesn't 1PW auto update?

Second, how do I get rid of this annoying pop up message?

Thanks,

HermBob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HermBob: Unfortunately that isn't a "legacy" issue, but a known problem with Edge. If you have Edge set as the default browser, it opens at startup, before 1Password, launches the 1Password extension, and then shows you that because 1Password cannot be found. We're investigating ways to workaround this, but the surefire way to avoid it is to not set Edge as your default browser. Otherwise it (and Windows) causes this chain reaction. Otherwise, you can simply close the message. As long as you have the 1Password app installed, it is irrelevant.

This discussion has been closed.