To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unable to log into app with master password

Options
chrysotstome
chrysotstome
Community Member

We are having serious problems with your app. I encouraged my mother to download 1Password on her iPad 2 to manage her passwords. I am writing on her behalf. My mother downloaded this app from the Apple App Store, likely in 2016. It is not a monthly subscription, just the straight app download. It was working fine, and she uploaded many passwords onto the app. But today she was unable to log in with her master password. When she tried to log in, the app showed a completely different interface instead of the usual decrypting and unlocking. It looks like all her data has gone missing. We need to speak with someone by telephone to have this problem resolved.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• chrysotstome
    chrysotstome
    Community Member
    Options

Please help
    I have the master password
    However
    What turns up is a list of settings
    And I cannot access my secure notes,of which I have 2 copies

All my passwords are there

This is an unacceptable situation.

Ps. I updated the app on Nov 1
    Please help
    I no longer have faith in this app

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrysotstome: We don't have a call center, and this isn't something that is solvable on a phone call anyway: AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly.

However, since you mentioned things looking different, it's possible that there are simply multiple copies of 1Password installed, setup with different Master Passwords. So one thing that may help shed some light on things is a diagnostics report. Since it appears you've also contacted us separately via email I'll reply there shortly so we can get that information from you.

ref: USB-65168-515

• chrysotstome
    chrysotstome
    Community Member
    Options

All that appears upon using the master password is page with all the settings. I never installed multiple copies of the app. All I did on Nov 1 was to update from the App Store. After that I did not open the App except for today when I needed several passwords because I bought another computer.

I am thoroughly disappointed that in an emergency one cannot telephone you folks. Once I solve this problem I will NEVER use this app and I will tell all my colleagues what transpired.

This is such an irresponsible approach to very important items, such as bank passwords, etc.

This is so unacceptable. I called Apple and they thought it was disgusting that there was no one to telephone.

Please telephone me then. You have my email.

Thoroughly disgusted. Why is it Canadians can't produce world class products!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

All that appears upon using the master password is page with all the settings. I never installed multiple copies of the app. All I did on Nov 1 was to update from the App Store. After that I did not open the App except for today when I needed several passwords because I bought another computer.

@chrysotstome: We have no way of knowing anything for certain at this point because you have not provided the details requested. Please reply via email with diagnostic information and we'll be happy to continue the conversion there to help in any way we can.

I am thoroughly disappointed that in an emergency one cannot telephone you folks. Once I solve this problem I will NEVER use this app and I will tell all my colleagues what transpired. This is such an irresponsible approach to very important items, such as bank passwords, etc.

We are not an emergency service. We don't control your data. Only you do. I'm sorry for any confusion about that.

This is so unacceptable. I called Apple and they thought it was disgusting that there was no one to telephone.
    Please telephone me then. You have my email.
    Thoroughly disgusted. Why is it Canadians can't produce world class products!

What an absolutely horrid thing to say. Namecalling is not going to accomplish anything. :(

• chrysotstome
    chrysotstome
    Community Member
    Options

OK Mr Brenty, I did not call anyone names. All I asked was why we in Canada cannot produce world class products? It's a fair question. We are falling behind.

I made a serious error of judgment when I thought this was a reliable app. Buyer beware. I will never make this kind of error again.

This app is not reliable.

MR. Brenty, you should not take offence.

If this kind of thing happens, it means there a problem with the app.

Thank you for closing my discussion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrysotstome: As I said I would, I've replied via email. Please check for that. I've also merged your posts together. By sending us multiple messages in multiple places you're slowing down the support process for everyone. I'm happy to continue helping you via email to avoid further confusion. Please think before you denigrate someone else's hard work in particular or an entire country. If I'm not mistaken, you're seeing only settings because you've selected that option in the app. If that's the case, characterizing 1Password as "unreliable" seems pretty unfair.

• chrysotstome
    chrysotstome
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Mr Brenty for the suggestions about how to escape out of the settings window, suggestions you sent by email. Thank you.

Please consider refining the app a touch so that the computer illiterate like myself will know to press the star or the gear. I touched them before to no avail, but today they worked.

With a very very little refinement this app will become perfect.

I want us Canadians to produce the finest products. There is no reason not to. Why should other countries be able to do this, and not us? I was wondering around saying this product is ' canadian' with pride. I want to keep saying that.
    Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you Mr Brenty for the suggestions about how to escape out of the settings window, suggestions you sent by email. Thank you.

You're very welcome! I'm glad to be able to help in some small way. :blush:

Please consider refining the app a touch so that the computer illiterate like myself will know to press the star or the gear. I touched them before to no avail, but today they worked.

Thank you for the feedback on this! We'll see if there's something we can do to make it clearer. :blush:

With a very very little refinement this app will become perfect.

That's very kind of you. We'll definitely continue to improve it. While we're not available by phone, I hope that if you ever have other questions, comments, or suggestions you'll know that we're here for you. :)

I want us Canadians to produce the finest products. There is no reason not to. Why should other countries be able to do this, and not us? I was wondering around saying this product is ' canadian' with pride. I want to keep saying that. Thank you.

Totally. While we're based primarily in Canada, and really proud of that. But we do have folks in many there countries around the world, so we hope that 1Password can be a Canadian-made world class app that anyone, regardless of nationality, can enjoy using to help keep their most important data secure. It's something we continually strive for. Thank you for your encouragement and feedback! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.