Every time I open Safari I get a request for a 1Password six digit verification code, why?

Options
RDFowlkes
RDFowlkes
Community Member

This morning I opened Safari on my iMac and two unexpected things happened. All of my tabs that normally show up below my displayed bookmarks (not the ones on the left side of Safari), which are below the address field, were gone. I don't know how to get them back. Second, I was asked to confirm a six-digit confirmation code. Now, every time I open Safari I have to provide a confirmation code and any tabs are also gone. What has happened to cause this and how can I stop it. Also, is it possible to restore the tabs?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox (I think)
Referrer: forum-search:two factor verification appears when I open safari

Comments

• RDFowlkes
    RDFowlkes
    Community Member
    Options

After experiencing what I posted above three or four times and after restarting the computer with no change in the problem, I left the computer for a while, ate lunch, etc. After returning a few minutes ago I discovered the problem had vanished. Of course all the tabs are still gone but I am no longer being asked to confirm any 6 digit code.

• Hi @RDFowlkes,

That sounds like Safari reset itself somehow. That would explain both of the things you've mentioned here: that the tabs are gone, and that you're being asked to authorize Safari again.

I'm sorry for the grief that that caused you.

Rick

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I similar thing started happening to me today. So for, 1Passwords has asked for Safari authorization 5 times. ( FYI, Safari tabs are working normally.)

• russcoleman
    russcoleman
    Community Member
    Options

I am having similar problem. It asks me to reauthorize Safari every time I go to use it. I also get the notification that I need to upgrade the Safari extension (which I just installed three days ago). I download the extension update and double click it as instructed and I get the message that "Safari can't install this extension "iPassword". Please help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@srohde - If you're being asked for authorization for Safari constantly, it sounds as if 1Password has lost the previous authorization. If that happens regularly, I would suspect some kind of cache/history cleaner (perhaps an automatic one) that wipes out cookies and local storage for Safari? It could also be potentially a VPN/proxy that isn't allowing or is redirecting local connections so that the 1Password mini does not recognize Safari.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@russcoleman - If you are downloading anything called "iPassword," that will be the problem: our application and extension are called 1Password, not iPassword. You'll probably want to uninstall that.

• russcoleman
    russcoleman
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, that "iPassword" was a typo. But let's forget about what I said there and let me recap how it is going for me now:

I am still having to re-authorize Safari more frequently than I’d like. For example, every time I quit/restart Safari. This isn’t normal is it? This only started after I upgraded mac os to High Sierra.

I also followed the “if you’re still having trouble” recommendation to:

1. Quit Safari
    2. In FInder, go to ~/Library/Safari/Extensions
    3. Move all copies of 1Password.safariextz to the trash (I had one).
    4. Empty the trash
    5. Open Safari, and install the 1Password extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery.

After all that, I still have to authorize 1Password to work with Safari every time I start Safari.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@russcoleman - sorry for the confusion; I just want to make sure people aren't mistaking some fly-by-night copycat app for us. Not a common thing, but does happen.

So, it sounds as if you've already taken most of the steps we'd recommend that usually solve this issue. We've seen a slight uptick in people reporting this issue for whom the usual remedies just don't work, and it's frustrating us because we don't really know why this happens for a small handful of people.

Essentially, the Safari extension seems unable to retrieve previously stored details (such as the authorization). The problem here is that the extension doesn’t do this directly, we rely on the browser itself, so we're limited in visibility into what's going on or what might need to happen to solve it. Can I ask you (and anyone else reading this and experiencing this issue): have you updated your install of macOS to 10.13.3? If not, that has seemed to help in several instances -- though I caution that will not be a solution in all cases. But if you're behind current with macOS, that would definitely be one step to take. Let us know how it goes.

• tofu4brains
    tofu4brains
    Community Member
    Options

I also just started having this problem, every time I start Safari. The only thing that has changed is I got an iPhone and enabled iCloud syncing, and I also tried (unsuccessfully) to install 1Password on the phone, which I have deleted.

• Cookies are not being deleted for 1Password.
    • 1PW 6.8.7
    • Safari extension 4.7.0
    • OS 10.12.6 (I will not update to High Sierra)
    • Safari 11.0.3
  • russcoleman
    russcoleman
    Community Member
    Options

Problem still happening.

• 1PW 6.8.8
    • MacOS 10.13.3
    • Safari 11.0.3
    • 1PW extension 4.7.0

Any ideas?

• russcoleman
    russcoleman
    Community Member
    Options

OK I've restarted the mac and now I've been able to restart Safari and it is not asking to reauthorize each time.

Fingers crossed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@russcoleman - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I could help you get things squared away, but if the problem righted itself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not. Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tofu4brains - Having 1Password on your phone doesn't matter to this issue. You can feel free to reinstall 1Password on your iPhone without worrying that it affects this. However, the issue of reauthorization may continue to be a problem. I'd restart your Mac, as @russcoleman did, and see what affect that has on the issue.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tofu4brains,

As I know there has been a bit of confusion in the past, can you confirm that what you're seeing is indeed a 6 digit code that is displayed in both a new Safari tab and a small dialog being displayed by 1Password? I ask because not long ago there was a prompt from Safari relating to iCloud sync that often got confused with the prompt from the extension.

If it's definitely the 6 digit prompt you're seeing can you tell me if you observe any difference after the following steps.

1. Uninstall the 1Password Safari Extension. You can do this in the Extensions tab of Safari's preferences.
    2. Restart the Mac.
    3. Launch 1Password and unlock.
    4. Launch Safari and install a fresh copy of the extension from 1Password Safari Extension from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery.
    5. Authorise/pair this new extension with 1Password. This prompt is expected.

Are you still prompted again if you quit Safari and launch it again?

• tofu4brains
    tofu4brains
    Community Member
    Options

Littlebobbie -

Yes, the opening screen on starting Safari showed the 6-digit code, and the Mac finder showed the 1PW code asking for authorization.

Following your directions exactly fixed the problem. Not only that, but Safari had stopped opening tabs from the previous session, and now that is fixed too.

I don't know if this is related, but when I last updated the Safari extension, I did it within Safari: Safari > Prefs > Extensions. I still think this is an iCloud sync issue.

Thanks for the fix!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tofu4brains - glad that worked for you. Anytime you see old data leftover from a previous session when you didn't explicitly save it, etc, you're probably dealing with broken preferences or a stuck cache. Let us know if the problem recurs or you have other issues. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.