To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

trouble transfering 1password to new macbook

Options
storaro
storaro
Community Member

Hey guys!

I purchased 1password a while back (I think it was via the Mac App Store, not a 100% sure though). Now I got myself a new Macbook installed 1password (from the Mac App Store), synched it via iCloud and realized that I can only read my already existing logins/softwarelicenseaccounts/etc but not create any new ones.

It seems that I need to somehow give the app my account information to make it realize that I have indeed paid for it some time back. I just don't know how to do that. I can't find any receipt in my mails from the Mac App Store, neither do I seem to have a 1password account.

How can I keep using 1password on my new computer (without having to pay again)?

Thanks a lot for helping me out in advance!
Oliver

1Password Version: Version 5.1 (old MB) /Version 6.8.5 (new MB)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5 (old macbook) / 10.13.1 (new macbook)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @storaro,

If you did indeed purchase it via the Mac App Store, you shouldn't have hit this issue, unless you're maybe signed in with a different Apple ID as you used when you purchased it.

If you look in your vault, under the Software License category, do you see an entry for 1Password there? If so, that means you purchased it via our website and you'll need to download/install the version from our website in order to use that license.

Rick

• storaro
    storaro
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

No, there's no 1Password entry in my vault. But by now I'm definitely positive that it's from the App Store since "About 1Password" is stating the follwing:

1Password
    Version 5.1 (510027)
    Mac App Store

You may have a point with that old Apple ID though. I switched my email address (also the one I used for the Apple ID) a while back. Is there a way to check if I have a license registered for that old email address - and if so - migrate to my new Apple ID?

Cheers,
    Oliver

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@storaro: Well, the tough thing is that 1Password can now be "purchased" from the Mac App Store for free, with in-app purchases to unlock all of its features. So in that case you'd still have it show as purchased.

But given that you have version 5.1, it's likely you purchased it long ago when it was a paid download rather than a free download with paid upgrade. If you bought it using another Apple ID though, the App Store will not validate the purchase unless you install it using the correct one.

Anyway, I see that you've also emailed us separately, so I'll follow up there to get more details.

ref: LSU-19644-278

This discussion has been closed.