To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master Password for different apps

tsim
tsim
Community Member

Hi I am logged in to the 1Password application on my Mac. I seem to have two Secret Keys and one is on a trial. I don't know my Master Password and should this be the same whether I am on my iphone (1Password7) or my Mac application (1Password6) or using Firefox? I have exported the data from the app I am logged in to but don't know what to do next.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OSX 10.13.3
Sync Type: Don't know

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @tsim! Sorry for the confusion. If you have two Secret Keys, then either you've signed up for two different 1password.com accounts, or you may have regenerated your Secret Key on one account. Your Secret Key is randomly generated for you when you create a 1password.com account, but your Master Password is something you would have had to choose for yourself during the sign-up process. If you cannot remember your Master Password, you won't be able to access your 1Password data.

I'd recommend you try the steps listed in this guide to see if you can either remember or recover your Master Password (depending on your situation). Let me know if you have any success with this, and we'll continue if needed.

• tsim
    tsim
    Community Member

So the password from my Mac app 1Password 6 should be the same password as the app on my phone?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tsim - in general, yes...but that depends very much on how you set 1Password up on each of those devices. In standalone 1Password with local data, you create your vault on your first device, and then you use one of our advanced sync methods to set up sync. Then, on subsequent devices, at the Welcome screen, instead of creating a new vault again as you did on the first device, you set your data source as whatever you chose to sync to (Dropbox, iCloud) on the first device. In this way, the two accounts remain in sync.

In a 1password.com account, you don't need to bother with that; you just sign into your existing 1Password account and your data appears automatically, no fussing about with advanced 3rd party sync.

However, if you created a vault on the Mac and then created another vault on your iPhone, you might have different Master Passwords. If you created an account on the Mac and created a second account on the iPhone, you might have different Master Passwords. It's pretty difficult for me to say without a closer look. Do you remember what specific steps you took?

• tsim
    tsim
    Community Member

I know that I set up the phone app first. The phone app finds the vault stored in iCloud but of course I can't then get in without the Master Password. I know that I have 2 x Secret keys (I didn't realise). Maybe it's going to be quicker to start again? I have a .csv of the file. If I start again is there a way of deleting the past secret keys so that the confusion doesn't happen again? So frustrating!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tsim - I've sent you an email to the address you used to register for this forum. If you don't receive the email, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk.

ref: SSK-65177-813

This discussion has been closed.