To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

URGENT! MISSING Secret Key/ Account Details / Emergency Kit!

daisygirl001
daisygirl001
Community Member

I’ve been using 1PW Pro for awhile now. I’m at v7.05. I was trying to learn how to use folders and tags (I never did it before because I just didn’t have time, and now I’m overwhelmed with trying to do it one by one!) and I was going to log into 1Password.com. It wanted my Secret Key from my Emergency Kit that I set up awhile back. I went to retrieve it - but the whole record is gone! I’m in a panic because I have almost 600 PW’s in 1PW and I can’t afford to lose them. Can someone help me before I totally freak out? I’m supposed to be asleep - it’s 1:30am here!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@daisygirl001: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! We don't have any of that information for your 1Password.com account (or anyone else's) even if you have one; only you ever would. You seem to be saying you saved your Emergency Kit as recommended, so the best thing to do in that case would be to get your account details from that. Otherwise, you'll be able find your account details in the app (or browser) you've authorized with your account:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• daisygirl001
    daisygirl001
    Community Member

Brenty - thanks for responding. Unfortunately, the Emergency Kit is missing!
    But I have my Master PW, my user ID, and my email. I never recorded a Secret Key. From what I understand, since I have a license and not a membership, then I don’t have a Secret Key. So why can’t I access 1Password.com? It keeps asking me for a Secret Key.
    I’ve upgraded my phone a couple of times since I entered the information in the Emergency Kit, so I don’t know if that’s when the Kit got lost or if it got lost through an update.
    Anyway, how can I find a Secret Key that I don’t have?
    There is one additional code that my app asks me for occasionally, and I tried to enter that as a Secret Key, but that didn’t work. Other suggestions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

Brenty - thanks for responding. Unfortunately, the Emergency Kit is missing!

@daisygirl001: "Missing" how? It isn't something 1Password has any control over, whether or not you saved it, or where you did. Did you not store it in a safe deposit box or similar secure location as recommended?

But I have my Master PW, my user ID, and my email. I never recorded a Secret Key. From what I understand, since I have a license and not a membership, then I don’t have a Secret Key. So why can’t I access 1Password.com? It keeps asking me for a Secret Key.

Ah, if that's the case, and you don't have a 1Password.com membership, you don't have an account, Secret Key, etc. at all. You will not be able to access your data that way if you never used that.

I’ve upgraded my phone a couple of times since I entered the information in the Emergency Kit, so I don’t know if that’s when the Kit got lost or if it got lost through an update.

It doesn't sound like you ever had an Emergency Kit.

Anyway, how can I find a Secret Key that I don’t have? There is one additional code that my app asks me for occasionally, and I tried to enter that as a Secret Key, but that didn’t work. Other suggestions?

Without a 1Password.com membership, none of this is relevant to you. You'll need to transfer your data from another device if you've deleted it from your iPhone. Where do you currently have access to your 1Password data?

• daisygirl001
    daisygirl001
    Community Member

Now I’m royally confused! I access my 1Password data multiple times a day on both my iPhone 6s Plus and my iPad Pro. Am I using the wrong language? I must be saying something wrong!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Now I’m royally confused! I access my 1Password data multiple times a day on both my iPhone 6s Plus and my iPad Pro.

@daisygirl001: That's good to know! It sounds like you're using 1Password without a membership — a subscription you pay for, which allows you to just sign in to your account to access your data on nearly any device. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com, as well as many other benefits. Instead, you manage your own 1Password setup and sync the data yourself between devices.

Am I using the wrong language? I must be saying something wrong!

It really only matters for the sake of comparison. If you have all your 1Password data on your device(s) already and back it up yourself, it sounds like you're all set, but we're here if you have any questions. :)

• daisygirl001
    daisygirl001
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification, Brenty. What would I need to do to change to a membership so that I am getting the latest updates and can access 1Password online for the additional options? What membership option would you suggest I choose? Thanks again for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@daisygirl001: Sure thing! 1Password.com memberships are a great option, but I'm really sorry that we've complicated things for you by offering those in addition to the traditional way of purchasing the standalone 1Password app. it would have been much simpler if we'd move to only 1Password.com memberships, especially since they're the best option for most people...but of course that would mess things up for you and anyone else who still use the standalone version. So we wanted to add this as another option instead of changing things for all of our existing customers. :blush:

As far as different plans, we started with 1Password Teams. That's geared more toward businesses, since it offers a lot of advanced options for sharing things and giving access to employees only in ways they want to.

But a lot of people wanted to use it with their loved ones since it's an easy way to get all of the apps for everyone they invite, and to share vaults securely...but 1Password Teams is kind of overkill for most families, so we added — naturally — 1Password Families. It has simplified pricing and permissions, making it even easier to securely share with your loved ones.

However, not everyone has a big family who is ready to use 1Password together, so we added individual 1Password.com memberships as well. While you won't be able to securely share in that case since there's no one else in the plan with you, I'd actually recommend starting there if you're not yet sure that one of the other two options are the best fit for you:

1Password.com sign up

It easy to upgrade to 1Password Families or 1Password Teams later on to invite others if you decide to do that. But no matter what, we're here to answer any questions you have, and there's also a great guide for making the transition:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That will walk you through the process of signing up and migrating your data to the account, and I'm happy to help in any way I can before, during, and after. :)

• daisygirl001
    daisygirl001
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. I read through the “many other benefits” link you included in your previous response, and then read about the memberships, and came to the same conclusion. I am single, so I think the individual membership is right for me. While you and I have been clarifying things and have been discussing what to do, I have been in contact with your support team to help me retrieve my license number. I still need that in order to upgrade to an individual membership.

Thanks so much for all of your help. I understand what’s going on a lot better now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@daisygirl001: You're very welcome. I'm not sure what you mean though. A license number is not involved in a 1Password.com membership at all, so you can get started without needing anything like that. Can you give me the Support ID you received when you contacted us via email? It seems like we might be duplicating effort, and we could probably help you more efficiently with the added context rather than trying to have the same conversation in two different places with different people. Thanks! :)

• daisygirl001
    daisygirl001
    Community Member

You are right, of course. I don’t need a license number to migrate. I just got the same answer from Support.

I was so panicked at first that I was following all the suggested avenues I came across in your help files. I’m new at the forum, and I thought I was going to get help from a “super-user”, not an actual 1Password person.

And I kept reading that I needed my Secret Key to migrate - which I didn’t have, of course. And I needed my license to get my Secret Key. So I clicked on “Find Lost License”, which brought me to Support. And around and around I went.

What I missed was that I would sign up for a membership first and then I would get a Secret Key!

Sigh …

At least I’m getting it now - thanks to you, Louise, and the Help documents.

• Glad to hear you’re making progress. Do you have a support ID for the conversation you’re having with Louise? If so could you please post it here so we can ‘connect the dots’? Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.