1Password 7 for Windows Beta 1 is here!

Options
13»

Comments

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Windows 1803 x64 and no compat mode set.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@Stanzilla: Well, I was right to some extent, but wrong where it matters most. I owe you an apology. 1Password for Windows version 6 was 64-bit, but version 7 is 32-bit. I missed that change. So if it's alright with you, I'll wipe the egg off my face and then go back to your original question, because I had exactly the same question after looking into this further:

Any reason why 7 is not a 64bit app btw? As far as I remember, 4 already was one.

You wouldn't be wrong to doubt me at this point, but version 4 was definitely 32-bit. And I'm going to have to apologize again, because I need to reframe the question:

"If version 6 was 64-bit, why isn't version 7?"

1Password 6 was a 64-bit app, but we need to use some 32-bit components, so over time it became difficult to support both, especially with .Net in involved. Otherwise there would be multiple versions to test, multiple downloads to confuse users, and update and migration issues between the two. And since we need to support Windows 7, where 32-bit is still very much a thing, it makes sense for us to stick with 32-bit for now.

So I guess then question becomes, "Is there any particular reason we should do 64-bit?" Most of the benefits of that won't apply to 1Password, but we'll certainly move to it at some point in the future. Right now, though, the benefits of staying 32-bit outweigh those of moving to 64...and it isn't entirely feasible for us to go all-in on that anyway for the time being.

Again, I'm sorry for the wild goose chase there. Hopefully this helps clear things up and set the record straight. :blush:

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@Brenty, mine is the same... 32 bit. Windows 10 1709. Did we install it wrong somehow?! :) (And, no, no special handling when installed on my side.)
    Both the app and the background process look like @stanzilla has it with 32-bit.

Now I'm really confused....

• Cragly
    Cragly
    Community Member
    Options

Just downloaded for Windows and have found a couple of issues.

Browser Extension - Password Generator Location on Dual Monitors
    When I open the extension to generate a new password on the right hand screen in chrome, the password generator opens up on the main window which is the left hand screen. I tried dragging the generator window onto the right screen, closing it down and relaunching but still the same result. I also tried restating chrome but again same result.

Browser Extension - Password Generator Copy Command Not Working
    When I click the copy command it doesn't copy the password onto the clipboard. I tried several times and then pasting into notepad but I just get the last item on the clipboard each time. Even when you try to right click > copy it doesn't seem to work.

Hope that helps

Cragly

• @Stanzilla @leesweet let me clear up some confusion here, 1Password is a 32 bit app. While there are no technical obstacles to make it 64 bit app, there is no gain in it either. When we started development it was more or less platform agnostic app, it could adapt to your CPU (that's how .NET works). However, with time we started to get more native code in. This introduces dependencies. We chose to roll with 32 bit for now as it simplify everything a lot, we don't need to worry about 2 builds, we don't need to worry that user from 64 bit could get 32 bit update, etc. And we don't have to test it twice. 32 bit does not make things slower or worse, in fact when I run 1Password in 64 bit mode it takes 30% more memory for me than when it starts in 32 bit. We might look into adding specific builds for 64 bit or ARM architectures, but this is not high on our priorities list.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile Not sure we care, but we didn't start the 64 bit story. :) And just went back and saw @brenty 's answer that he updated with the completed story, so, no problems. I know all about 64 bit not being the best answer all the time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leesweet: Indeed, thanks for not rubbing it in too much! I stand corrected. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cragly: You may be interested in the existing discussions on these issues:

Bug with using multiple screens

and

Bug? PW Generator not copying to clipboard

Unfortunately I can't split your post off and merge it into both of those. :(

• AxelHenry
    AxelHenry
    Community Member
    Options

I have to say how happy it makes me, that I have a stand-alone option for Windows.
    I am not sure whether the beta was intended as an upgrade to 4 but this is my first Windows machine for years so has never seen 1Password, downloaded the beta app yesterday, pointed it at my DropBox synch folder and it all works fine so far. Bonza.
    No option for updating the master password but I notice it mentioned a couple of times in this string, and while I have not tried I assume updating on my Mac will work OK.
    Happy to pay for a stand-alone license when it comes to pass.
    Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have to say how happy it makes me, that I have a stand-alone option for Windows. I am not sure whether the beta was intended as an upgrade to 4 but this is my first Windows machine for years so has never seen 1Password, downloaded the beta app yesterday, pointed it at my DropBox synch folder and it all works fine so far. Bonza.

@AxelHenry: Awesome! That's great to hear, on all counts. And indeed, 1Password will serve as a direct upgrade for anyone using a 1Password.com membership, but also for those wishing to purchase a license to get the brand new app.

No option for updating the master password but I notice it mentioned a couple of times in this string, and while I have not tried I assume updating on my Mac will work OK.

Yep, and we'll also be fleshing out local vault options and setup process in future betas.

Happy to pay for a stand-alone license when it comes to pass. Thanks again.

Likewise, thanks for your support! Be sure to pick up your license later on (the app will notify you) to get the special price. Thank you for participating in the beta! :)

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Sorry, was having a forum issue with Privacy Badger. Figured it out. Moving this comment to a question.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries! Indeed, some content blockers mess with any forum comments...which covers probably 99% of this support forum. :lol:

• hAmpzter
    hAmpzter
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty:

New folder-picker

Looks wonderful!

The Save Login/Update existing Login window will be redesigned in a future update. It is not supposed to be resizable at the moment but we'll fix this.

Superb!

If you bring up 1Password mini, search for the item you want and right-click on it, you can expand the copy menu for the username field to type the data into the focused field in your app (it'll show the list of running programs). Switch to the password field, bring up 1Password mini again, the last used item should be selected (it may be on the bottom of the list), so that you can right-click on it again to handle password field next.

Perfect solution. I have tried it a bit (though the 1Password Mini is a bit sluggish) and it works generally fine. I have never been using the 1Password Mini that much..

We get scattered reports of this but we haven't been able to reproduce this consistently. Are you seeing this all the time and if yes, do you use a touchpad/trackpad?

I have now tried and tried and tried without any luck in reproducing it again in an controlled fashion. I'll get back to you if I find any way it is reproducible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hAmpzter: You're too kind, both in leaving such encouraging feedback and in pinging me directly with such good cheer when I cannot personally take credit for that. I'll pass your comments on to the rest of the team to make sure they can benefit as well since this just motivates us to make it even better. Definitely let me know if you find anything so we can make any other necessary adjustments. :)

• hAmpzter
    hAmpzter
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @brenty and @MikeT ^_^
    I realized with my last post that it was actually @MikeT that answered me and I should have tagged in my answer.. But I hope you guys communicate and do not feel sorry about my tagging-mistake! :pirate:

• ddudek
    ddudek
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

For some reason when I tried to open my vault on the beta version yesterday, my master password no longer worked. I was still able to use my master password on other devices (mac, website and iOS) connected to the family account. I made sure caps lock wasn't on and that all characters of the password could be typed correctly in other applications, so I am sure it wasn't user error. I had to delete the data file and re-setup my account (https://support.1password.com/starting-over/). Are there any known issues around this?

• @ddudek: None that I'm aware of, but there has to be a first time for everything. Do you have a standalone vault in 1Password 7 as well, or is it just signed in to your family account?

• ddudek
    ddudek
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@bundkate no standalone, just the family account. It worked for a few days before this happened. It has worked for 2 days since I started over without issue.

• @ddudek: Interesting. Your logs may have some light to shed here, could you generate a diagnostics report and send it over to support+windows@1password.com? If you include a link to this thread in the body of the e-mail that will help us connect the dots to this post in case it's not me who finds it. We'll take a peek and see if we can track down what might have gone wrong. Thanks! :chuffed:

• ddudek
    ddudek
    Community Member
    Options

@bundkate Diagnostics have been sent. Thanks.

• @ddudek: Thanks for sending those! I'm sure this was unintentional, but I do see a standalone vault in your diagnostics from the restored bad database. The strange thing is, the only way for the app to use that standalone vault's Master Password should be for you to have added that vault before signing into your family account. This would mean your Master Password never would have worked, but it did for two days. I do think something went awry here and I'll do some more digging through your diagnostics to see if I can find it, but I don't see a standalone vault in your new diagnostics so I'd bet you'll be a-okay from here on out. :chuffed:

• ddudek
    ddudek
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate strange. I did have one on version 4 previously, but I had deleted that prior to using version 7 and adding my family account. Oh well, i’m glad it’s all resolved with the new data file. Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

strange. I did have one on version 4 previously, but I had deleted that prior to using version 7 and adding my family account. Oh well, i’m glad it’s all resolved with the new data file. Thanks for your help.

@ddudek: Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the update! Glad to hear all is well now. :)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

We just shipped 1Password 7 for Windows Beta 5 with a lot of changes, please give it a try.

I'm going to close this thread, so we can talk about the big Beta 5 update in its own thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/89036/1password-7-beta-5-for-windows-is-here.

This discussion has been closed.