set primary vault location and sync

Options
cmbb_we1
cmbb_we1
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Mac

Hi, I have Primary (local) vault and also use Teams account.

I've been using 1Password for 6+ years. In the past, I could specify where the local Primary vault was saved on my local computer. Now I cannot seem to locate or specify this under Preferences. Where is this specified?

Today I got warning that there was problem sync'ing Primary vault. At Preferences: Sync, I see this: Sync Primary vault with "None".

My attempts to specify where to sync the primary vault -- both in Dropbox folder (which I've done 6+ years) and alternately in local folder outside of Dropbox, are met with failure. Sometimes I'm presented with "merge with existing" vault option, which I choose, but get errors.

It defaults to "None".

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:sync primary vault with

ref: UUG-68294-244

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, I have Primary (local) vault and also use Teams account. I've been using 1Password for 6+ years. In the past, I could specify where the local Primary vault was saved on my local computer. Now I cannot seem to locate or specify this under Preferences. Where is this specified?

@cmbb_we1: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Indeed, sync settings for local vaults are located in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Sync.

Today I got warning that there was problem sync'ing Primary vault. At Preferences: Sync, I see this: Sync Primary vault with "None".

Indeed, "None" is the default for any local vault, as sync for those is something that must be configured by the user. 1Password doesn't assume that you want to use Dropbox, iCloud, etc. You'll need to tell it that.

My attempts to specify where to sync the primary vault -- both in Dropbox folder (which I've done 6+ years) and alternately in local folder outside of Dropbox, are met with failure. Sometimes I'm presented with "merge with existing" vault option, which I choose, but get errors. It defaults to "None".

What errors? "Merge with existing" is expected if you're selecting an existing vault, because i that case 1Password will have to merge what's in the app already, in it's internal database, with whatever is in that external vault. It doesn't do that automatically since if you select a completely different vault (say, one for work) than what you're using in the app (personal, perhaps) merging the two may be undesirable (to put it mildly). So it will ask you if you're sure you want to do that. Can you tell me more about what you're trying to do, the exact steps you're taking, and what's happening? Thanks in advance!

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

I have to reopen an existing thread, but I am having what seem to be similar issues. I can't find the primary vault and would like to know its default location (or name!). When I look at Sync, it shows “Also sync primary vault with None.” If I try to change it to Dropbox, it was giving me a message about deleting what was there, but now it just says “Never synced” and doesn't give any other options. If I go to another preference panel and back, it goes back to "None." Thoughts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Davert: It sounds like you already have a vault in Dropbox with the same name. What are you trying to do exactly?

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

That is almost certainly the problem.
    I have a laptop and desktop with 1Password. I was trying to keep them in sync with Dropbox. At some point the laptop stopped wanting to sync or some such and I might have just moved the vault into Dropbox (correction: I think I set the one in Dropbox, which was presumably just meant for sync, to be the primary). I don't know if I did that on both computers but they don't sync so I'm guessing I didn't. I need to know where to move the vault to get it back into the right place, I guess...

Note to self: next time contact support first instead of trying crazy band-aids.

• Ben
    Options

@Davert

I agree with that note. :) I'd recommend turning off sync entirely on all devices, deleting all Agile Keychain / OPVault files from Dropbox, and then setting up sync fresh:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

OK - thanks.

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And in case it helps you or anyone else, 1Password for Mac has its own internal database, so deleting the vault in Dropbox doesn't obliterate your data in the app. That's just a sync container. :)

This discussion has been closed.