Export to AgileKeychain or similar

RAPWare
RAPWare
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I currently use the AgileKeychain format to archive passwords. The fact that you don't need a client app, but just a browser, to read archived passwords make it an especially usefull format.

Will there be a way to export the passwords in 1P7 to the AgilekeyChain format (or another format that can be viewed readonly in a browser window)?

Comments

• Hi @RAPWare,

Thanks for writing in.

We've phased out 1Password Anywhere (1Password.html) many years ago for security reasons, this is not coming back for sure. By the way, you're replacing 1Password with a different client, a web browser. There's no guarantee that 1Password.html would run in any future version of web browsers. In fact, that's part of the reason 1Password.html was removed as browsers added additional security to block certain code from running via local files and they'll continue to strengthen this over time.

At the moment, we do not plan to work on the 1Password.html version for OPVault format either due to the said reasons. We are phasing out of AgileKeychain format completely, only opening it for the sole purpose of converting it to OPVault.

Your best option would be to back up the 1Password exe file alongside the vault files. There are certain third party tools (we do not advise using them due to high risk of malware) that can parse your OPVaults locally without any browser or 1Password clients. This is because we document how OPVault works.

We are looking into a new backward/forward-compatible export/archival format that we can document, so any one can build their own tools to parse it without ever depending on us in the future.

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

Your best option would be to back up the 1Password exe file alongside the vault files.

Besides for regular backup and archiving I use the 1Password Anywhere functionality in my Escrow deposits.
    Does your license agreement allow me to include the 1Password executable in my Escrow deposit (activated with my license)?

• Yes, you're free to store, archive, copy the 1Password installers anywhere you want to use it.

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

My Escrow deposit is a VM. I don't want it to contain the 1Password installer, but an activated, ready to use, 1Password client.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @RAPWare,

Thanks for the clarification, yes, you can do that too. As per your license, you can use 1Password on any number of PCs, VMs, and so on as long as you're the one using 1Password. Note, the license is for Windows, which means any Windows PC/VMs. A separate license is required for Macs. For Linux with WINE, you could reuse the Windows license.

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

When the Escrow VM needs to be used it most probably won't be me using it...

So that rules out using 1Password in my Escrow VM and that means that I will have to export all the data managed in 1Password to a different kind of db format. I noticed the current beta does not support exporting data at all. Will the final version support some form of export (1pif)?

• Hi @RAPWare,

I'll check with our legal team to find out if that's okay and update our agreement to clarify this. Note that 1Password 7 is a beta build, so everything is subject to change, do not use 1Password 7 for your archival until it is out as a stable update first and we have, hopefully, an updated agreement.

You can export by selecting your items in the item list and right-click to export. 1PIF export is not supported yet and will not be in the first 1Password 7.0 stable release but in a future update.

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

I just installed 1Password 7 for MacOS and that version of 1Password is still using the Agilekeychain format for folder sync.
    I use this folder sync to keep my 1Password for Windows in sync with my 1Password for MacOS.

I just tested the sync functionality between the new 1Password 7 for MacOS and 1Password 4 for Windows. I'm glad to see that is still working without issues. However, as 1Password 7 for Windows no longer supports the Agilekeychain format (except for importing/converting) I don't see how I can keep my 1Password 7 for MacOS in sync with 1Password 7 for Windows.

How do I sync the data between these two versions (and please don't reply with that I should start using your "terrific" cloud service)?

The good news is that I can use 1Password 7 for MacOS to create the files for my Escrow VM....

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @RAPWare,

I don't see how I can keep my 1Password 7 for MacOS in sync with 1Password 7 for Windows.

Double-click on the OPvault file on macOS, it'll directly open in 1Password 7 Beta for macOS, it will ask for the vault password and add it. It'll sync that vault for you. Make sure to remove the original AgileKeychain vault manually in 1Password 7 for macOS to avoid seeing the duplicates in your 1Password 7 database.

The macOS team hasn't gone through their codebase to remove the AgileKeychain support yet, it'll be phased out soon. As 1Password for macOS originally was built for standalone vaults first, it takes longer for them to phase it out.

1Password 6 for Windows was built as new codebase targeting 1Password membership first and standalone vaults added afterward in 1Password 7, so we'll converge soon with a consistent experience.

The good news is that I can use 1Password 7 for MacOS to create the files for my Escrow VM....

Sorry but it will be removed very soon. As I mentioned above, both 1Password 7 apps have not been officially released and are beta builds. Everything is subject to changes, do not plan until both apps are released as stable first.

In addition, for escrow license information, please email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and we can give you more details.

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Arghh.. I just purchased my first 1Password 7 license because it does have the Agilekeychain export/sync.....

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

In addition, for escrow license information, please email us at licenses@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and we can give you more details.

When I try to send an email to that address I get the following error:
    Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

licenses@agilebits.com
    The email address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's email address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @RAPWare,

Email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com for more details including a refund if you want.

At this point, I really encourage that you wait until both apps are closer to the stable release before you make a final decision.

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

Double-click on the OPvault file on macOS, it'll directly open in 1Password 7 Beta for macOS, it will ask for the vault password and add it. It'll sync that vault for you.

Is that a one time sync (import)? Or will it setup a real sync like the current folder sync? Is there a way to configure/enable/disable the sync?

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

At this point, I really encourage that you wait until both apps are closer to the stable release before you make a final decision.

Will I still get the discount at that point? I have to upgrade my current family plan to 3 separate licenses (2 MacOS and 1 Windows, I will drop 1 Windows license) which will be quite costly if I have to pay the full price....

• Hi @RAPWare,

Is that a one time sync (import)? Or will it setup a real sync like the current folder sync? Is there a way to configure/enable/disable the sync?

It's going to add the vault to its internal database and automatically establish a Folder Sync monitor onto that location for you. Here's what it'll show:

You can adjust the sync settings in 1Password Settings like so:

Will I still get the discount at that point?

Yes, you can still get the discount up until the first stable release.

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

It's going to add the vault to its internal database and automatically establish a Folder Sync monitor onto that location for you

Ok. I'll test that.

Yes, you can still get the discount up until the first stable release.

Great. I will wait with upgrading the other 2 licenses until both the Windows and MacOs versions have been released.

• Awesome, let me know if there's anything else we can help you with.

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

Awesome, let me know if there's anything else we can help you with.

I still can't send mail to licenses@agilebits.com....

• What do you mean? What are you seeing?

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

What do you mean? What are you seeing?

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

licenses@agilebits.com
    The email address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's email address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Use this instead: support+licenses@agilebits.com

[Update: My apologies, we've only use support+licenses@agilebits.com]

This discussion has been closed.