1Password Shortcuts not working in Safari

Options
mdvzo
mdvzo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I had to back out of 1Password 7 Beta on my Mac for now since I ran into too many issues. Notably Autofilling from the 1Password App by double clicking on the icon is sporadic. It also appears that the shortcuts I made for 1Password in my browser by dragging the apps from 1P to Safari are no longer working. I also noticed that the new one's made start with : 1passord7://open. and do not work.

1Password Version: 7 Beta 9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    Options

I get the message "Do you want to allow this page to open “1Password 7”?" I click allow and nothing happens and having to click this dialog is not practical anyway.

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I ran into a big issue which I posted here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/89321/1password-shortcuts-not-working-in-safari#latest

Makes 1Password almost unusable for me since I link all of my shortcuts through Alfred and they seldom if ever work now. Autofill seems to be totally broken for me.

I gave up on 1Password7 for now this is way to big of a bug for me to continue for now.

This comment was moved here by AgileBits staff from a different discussion: 1Password 7 Beta for Mac — window doesn't remember resize.

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

When I double click on an icon in 1P or click open and fill it jsut flashes the Mac menu bar with 1P and then flashes back to Safari but ntohgiin happens.

I gave up on 1Password7 for now this is way to big of a bug for me to continue for now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I had to back out of 1Password 7 Beta on my Mac for now since I ran into too many issues. Notably Autofilling from the 1Password App by double clicking on the icon is sporadic. It also appears that the shortcuts I made for 1Password in my browser by dragging the apps from 1P to Safari are no longer working. I also noticed that the new one's made start with : 1passord7://open. and do not work.

@mdvzo: I'm sorry for the trouble there. Indeed, there are known issues and limitations currently with the new Safari app extension we're developing for 1Password 7.

I get the message "Do you want to allow this page to open “1Password 7”?" I click allow and nothing happens and having to click this dialog is not practical anyway.

That's not something we have control over. That's a Safari feature. You'll get this anytime any app tries to open from the browser.

When I double click on an icon in 1P or click open and fill it jsut flashes the Mac menu bar with 1P and then flashes back to Safari but ntohgiin happens. I gave up on 1Password7 for now this is way to big of a bug for me to continue for now.

Using the stable version is a good option if you're not in a situation where you're willing and able to test the beta. Thank you for giving it a shot though, and for your feedback here! :)

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

That's not something we have control over. That's a Safari feature. You'll get this anytime any app tries to open from the browser.>

So with the way 1Password7 implements the new extension I will get this message now every time I try to submit a 1Password shortcut from 1Password or Alfred since the new Shortcuts do not work with https://...onepassword but rather rely on 1Password7://open. This basically defeats the purpose of the shortcut.

I have literally a 100 autofill shortcuts with 1Password in Alfred.

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    Options

I will try and continue suing it but it is very buggy still and locks up and has to be forced quit on occasion. The autofill is an issue but looks like eventually that is not gong to work anyway with the new implementation.

• Ben
    Options

Safari App Extensions are still a relatively new technology (compared to the older tech 1Password 6 was using). Hopefully they continue to evolve to better support the features we offer / want to offer in 1Password.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I'd like to add more info regarding keyboard shortcuts that don't work in Safari. At the time I'm writing this my keyboard shortcuts don't work in Safari but I can trigger 1P Mini as soon as I switch to another app. It happens many many times each day. FYI, my keyboard shortcuts are Ctrl-@ (fill) and Ctrl-& (show) — much easier for me with a French keyboard.

Here is what I see in Console.app when I hit these shortcuts.

Hope it helps.

pkd plugin /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/1PasswordSafariAppExtension.appex is still valid.
    1Password 7 70000009 [HOTKEYS:(Main Thread):<OPHotKeyManager: 0x60400003e7e0>] S globalActivationKeyPressed: | showing popup in mode 'centered' as a result of global activation key press
    1Password Extension Helper  70000009 [EXT:(Secondary Thread 0x7f8dc3a106a0):<OP7SafariAppExtensionClient: 0x7f8dc3848a20>: pid:3322 extId:B2D79E9F-A88B-4AC3-A787-C3ED58431AFC browser:Safari] S sendAction:payload: | [OP7SafariAppExtension 0x7f8dc3848a20] sendAction: 'getActiveURL'

pkd plugin /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/1PasswordSafariAppExtension.appex is still valid.
    1Password 7 70000009 [HOTKEYS:(Main Thread):<OPHotKeyManager: 0x60400003e7e0>] S browserActivationKeyPressed: | showing popup in mode 'quick fill' as a result of browser activation key press
    1Password Extension Helper  70000009 [EXT:(Secondary Thread 0x7f8dc15676f0):<OP7SafariAppExtensionClient: 0x7f8dc3848a20>: pid:3322 extId:B2D79E9F-A88B-4AC3-A787-C3ED58431AFC browser:Safari] S sendAction:payload: | [OP7SafariAppExtension 0x7f8dc3848a20] sendAction: 'getActiveURL'

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Thibaut - thanks for reporting; we're aware of this one already but we appreciate the additional information! :)

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I don't want to be annoying and I understand there are many other issues to solve in the beta but… If possible, please ask the team to consider this specific issue (i.e. non working shortcuts in Safari) the next one to be solved. I think the error rate is around 50% on my Macs (and it requires a Safari restart, thus losing the current session). It happens so many times each day that it makes using 1P very frustrating. :unamused:

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As to the current problems with the Safari extension please see this AgileBits' post.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Stephen_C - thanks for following up with @thibaut. :)

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C @Lars Thanks for linking that discussion. It's right that the problem is not only about the shortcuts anymore, but the extension as a whole.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, thanks for your feedback on this! We're working on it. :)

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    Options

Seems like the only resolution is to reboot Safari about 6 times a day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mdvzo: Not really. I've only restarted Safari a handful of times since I've been using prerelease versions of 1Password 7 (and that's prior to the public beta even). It's only really necessary if the Safari app extension has to be reinstalled (you'll know this because the 1Password icon will be gone, and 1Password will also not be listed in Safari Preferences > Extensions). Certainly it can be quicker to just restart Safari if it isn't reconnecting, but usually just restarting 1Password and opening a new tab/window will get it working there since each is a separate process these days. And, of course, if using the beta is getting in the way of you getting work done, you could always use the stable version instead. Either way, we'll keep working to improve 1Password 7 over time. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.