Feedback on the new 1Password mini

Options

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dmz - Making predictions is hard, especially about the future (Yogi Berra). And in this case, it's also Above My Pay Grade™. So I won't try to guess what specific kinds of changes we might make except to say that I doubt we'll be anchoring the mini due to the increased (and still developing) functionality with regard to apps other than browsers. But if we can figure out a way to make it work reliably in two different ways, that's a possibility. Again, hard to say what the future holds on this one, but thanks for being candid with your thoughts about the new mini.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty,

I have said more than enough on this matter - The size of the mini on a 12" MacBook is, to be frank, ridiculous.

Just introduce an option so the size of the mini can be reduced.

One other matter - introducing such a major change late in the beta cycle and then shipping soon after compromises the effort people make contributing to the development cycle.

Make the change and move on!

Just do it!

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    Options

I second @HRD's comment. I think many of us were taken by surprise that the late change in the mini made it to golden release.

• Ben
    Options

We’re certainly welcome to feedback on it, and/but it is admittedly a rather large change from the “old” mini. I’d suggest giving it some time to become comfortable. There is a bit of a learning curve (I still find myself mousing a fair bit when I’m used to keyboarding — have to re-train myself), but the power the new mini provides is huge.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

"after app!"? really?

@dmz: I meant to type "after all". I've fixed it. Sorry for the absurdity there. I don't understand why you think I am "messing with" you (or even how that typo could be construed offensively), but I am sorry nevertheless for any offense I caused.

I do thank you for your feedback on all of this, even if we disagree on some points. Ultimately, if it proves that most people are confused by our design decisions in version 7, we'll need to reevaluate. Let's give it some time though. It's only been a short time that beta testers have seen it, and less than 24 hours that everyone else has.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tiantai: I get that you don't like that it's big, but why is big a bad thing? I'm genuinely curious how making 1Password mini smaller would help you in daily usage. :)

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty big is a bad thing here because it takes up screen real estate. Like many others have mentioned, on a 13" Mac, the largness of the mini window obsucres login fields many times resulting in the need to move the mini window around.

Perhaps it's noted now but wasn't before (?) that many people when using the mini window want to also see the login window at the same time.

What's also interesting is that this particular feature wasn't in beta testing for that long before the stable version was released to the public. Why? This is such a huge change that it ought to have been in beta and tested by everyday users for quite a while with lots of feedback considered.

(for another example, see: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/432451/#Comment_432451 )

Heck, if size wasn't an issue, why not have the mini be the size of the full application? ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

big is a bad thing here because it takes up screen real estate.

@tiantai: I'm going to be a bit facetious here, so I beg your pardon, but...everything takes up screen real estate! If that's a bad thing, I need to close these browser windows! I'm just trying to get a better sense of the actual problems that making it smaller would solve. Maybe there are other things that we can do that will help even more. Thanks for humouring me. :)

Perhaps it's noted now but wasn't before (?) that many people when using the mini window want to also see the login window at the same time.

I can't say I usually need to see the login form since 1Password fills that for me, but you're probably right that there are instances where that's helpful.

What's also interesting is that this particular feature wasn't in beta testing for that long before the stable version was released to the public. Why?

We like to save some things as a surprise.

This is such a huge change that it ought to have been in beta and tested by everyday users for quite a while with lots of feedback considered.

It was in beta internally long before it was publicly. We'll continue to listen to feedback from folks here on the team, from customers like you, and ship updates as we make changes. Some people seem to think that the way it is now is set in stone, but we've got a long development cycle ahead of us for version 7. :)

Heck, if size wasn't an issue, why not have the mini be the size of the full application? ;-)

Maybe... :sarcastic:

Kidding! There's definitely interest here as well in making it slimmer. There are just a lot of considerations. We don't want to give up any of the things that make it useful just for the sake of making it small. We'll continue to iterate on it. :sunglasses:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty,

With respect, instead of these long posts that make little progress put the effort in giving users the option of making the mini smaller. Then we can all move on.

Get it done.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Maybe my memory fails me, but I was on the beta too (the public side, obviously, not the "internal" one if by that you mean internal to AgileBits only) and as I recall, this version of the mini was only out for less than a week or 2 (?) before the final release was pushed.

If it isn't already obvious from what I've tried to say, taking up screen space is a problem because the mini obscures the window behind it (browser) which many people like myself like to have most in view while using the login. I don't actually use autofill because for the same website I can have multiple accounts.

And please continue to iterate on this mini by doing user testing, making observations, and asking genuine questions. (Not smart-ass ones that can come across as being disingenuous :).)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Maybe my memory fails me, but I was on the beta too (the public side, obviously, not the "internal" one if by that you mean internal to AgileBits only) and as I recall, this version of the mini was only out for less than a week or 2 (?) before the final release was pushed.

@tiantai: Sorry, for not being clearer. Indeed, we were using the new design for a while before it was public. You're right about the rough time frame for the public beta.

If it isn't already obvious from what I've tried to say, taking up screen space is a problem because the mini obscures the window behind it (browser) which many people like myself like to have most in view while using the login. I don't actually use autofill because for the same website I can have multiple accounts.

That makes sense. I have a lot of accounts too and select them in mini without having to see the website, but there are probably other scenarios where it is good to be able to see it.

And please continue to iterate on this mini by doing user testing, making observations, and asking genuine questions. (Not smart-ass ones that can come across as being disingenuous :).)

I was being sincere, but I did recognize that the nature of the question could make it sound like a stupid one. But, stupid or not, these are the questions we have to ask. If we only ask ourselves we're not going to get feedback from you. :blush:

• Ton55
    Ton55
    Community Member
    Options

Would it be possible to add an option to select what 1password items show up in the related passwords section of the Suggested Items list? I created a whole bunch of passwords for my personal server and whenever I log into my server they show up there as 'related passwords'. They are just unnamed passwords - that is: named after the main URL, so there's no way to select an appropriate one that can be used as the password for that specific login. It would be nice if one can have the option to disable the display of the 'generated passwords' in the related passwords section.

• dmz
    dmz
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty:

@dmz: I meant to type "after all". I've fixed it. Sorry for the absurdity there. I don't understand why you think I am "messing with" you (or even how that typo could be construed offensively), but I am sorry nevertheless for any offense I caused.

I appreciate that. The offense, for what it's worth, was caused by your generally flippant approach to this entire thread (of which I thought your typo was an intentional part) and apparently deliberate misinterpretation of my comments (e.g., the difference between "where the mouse pointer is" and "tethered").

I could say more here, but @tiantai summed up my feelings on the matter nicely with "please continue to iterate on this mini by doing user testing, making observations, and asking genuine questions. (Not smart-ass ones that can come across as being disingenuous :).)"; I would have left the emoticon out though. I am, I must admit, genuinely curious as to whether any actual user testing (outside AgileBits) was done with the new mini window before it was unleashed in the end stage of the beta cycle.

• ivan308
    ivan308
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure if mentioned as I don't have time to read all 8 pages but I have long password titles and even though the new mini is large it does not show the whole title and I do not seem to be able to drag the title window to make it larger. Also is there a way to turn off the bright red and yellow warnings. For now I have reverted back to using V6

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

I want to say that I was shocked to see that the final release of 1PW 7 was coming out already after only a few days of the new mini being in beta. The fact that you all got almost zero testing/iterations/bugfixes from external users says a lot to me about what management thinks about user's feedback. And the lack of time spent on beta testing to fix legitimate bugs before final release also says a lot.

I also feel like your development process of "We're going to make a wiz-bang huge change to our app without getting external feedback" and then when it comes out and there are criticisms you all have to dig in your heels because, well, you've devoted substantial development resources to building this new wiz-bang thing, could be improved.

And just to be clear, I'm fine with the majority of the new mini. Other than the bugs and some keyboard workflow improvements that I'd like to see made.

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member
    Options

Have to agree the size of the new mini window is significantly worse than it was before. Lots of unnecessary wasted space.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ton55: I think it makes some sense for 1Password to show items for the same URL as "suggested", but it's still early and we'll continue to consider things like this as we iterate on how the "suggested items" feature works. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@occamsrazor: Thanks for letting us know you're not a fan of the new form factor. It's something we'll be iterating on with future updates. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I appreciate that. The offense, for what it's worth, was caused by your generally flippant approach to this entire thread (of which I thought your typo was an intentional part) and apparently deliberate misinterpretation of my comments (e.g., the difference between "where the mouse pointer is" and "tethered").

@dmz: You're right. I read too much into what you were saying. I'm sorry for "putting words into your mouth", so to speak.

I could say more here, but @tiantai summed up my feelings on the matter nicely with "please continue to iterate on this mini by doing user testing, making observations, and asking genuine questions. (Not smart-ass ones that can come across as being disingenuous :).)"; I would have left the emoticon out though. I am, I must admit, genuinely curious as to whether any actual user testing (outside AgileBits) was done with the new mini window before it was unleashed in the end stage of the beta cycle.

Thank you for the constructive criticism — not only on 1Password but also on my comments here. I meant no offense, and did not mean to be flippant, but I do apologize for coming across that way. I hope you'll continue to offer feedback as we release subsequent updates. That's really important to us.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ivan308: There isn't a way to disable the Watchtower warnings, and I'm not sure we're going to do that. But we are looking at ways to make them less intrusive without making them be "out of sight out of mind", as they are an important security feature. Thanks for the feedback!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I want to say that I was shocked to see that the final release of 1PW 7 was coming out already after only a few days of the new mini being in beta. The fact that you all got almost zero testing/iterations/bugfixes from external users says a lot to me about what management thinks about user's feedback. And the lack of time spent on beta testing to fix legitimate bugs before final release also says a lot.

@jfelchner: I'm sorry that you got that impression. Our intention was to hold a little back to still be able to surprise people. Of course, we wanted it to be a good surprise. I apologize to you and anyone else who feel that wasn't the case. We've already pushed out 7.0.1 to address some issues that have been reported, and we'll continue to update it further to address any that remain. :blush:

I also feel like your development process of "We're going to make a wiz-bang huge change to our app without getting external feedback" and then when it comes out and there are criticisms you all have to dig in your heels because, well, you've devoted substantial development resources to building this new wiz-bang thing, could be improved. And just to be clear, I'm fine with the majority of the new mini. Other than the bugs and some keyboard workflow improvements that I'd like to see made.

I think you're right. Perhaps it was too much of a surprise too late in the public beta. We can't change that now, but it's something we'll have to consider going forward. Thanks for your honest criticism on this.

• KushMastaFresh
    KushMastaFresh
    Community Member
    Options

Please consider reverting the mini windows back to the older version or at least giving an option to allow the use to set it to the older version. As others have stated, the new mini window appears in the middle of the screen (at least at first) far away from where the mouse pointer is and the window is HUGE

The old one worked perfectly, it usually populated the logins correctly to begin with and if it didn't there was the search bar and buttons right there to get to the desired info.

It also looked much more aesthetically pleasing (totally my opinion of course)

If it ain't broke then don't fix it. I personally didn't have a problem finding the login info (during the rare times it didn't populate it automatically) and switching to the info page (during the rare times clicking the login wouldn't fill the info in the browser correctly). You could also add a simple right click context menu where right clicking the login will bring up a copy login and copy password option. Regardless, it was totally fine the way it was!

• KushMastaFresh
    KushMastaFresh
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Another thing about the size issue is it's not necessary. When it was smaller it gave you access to all the pertinent information you needed (a list of your logins or other info) in an organized, legible, and entirely useable way as well as making the ability to add or modify info just as easy and simple. There's really no reason or benefit to have it bigger, it doesn't make things more efficient and instead of being a nice little tool that predictably pops up to do its job to aid in your main goal of what you're trying to do online, it becomes this big honking thing that forces your attention on it.

At the very least, if there were an option so the user can set the mini browser to the way they prefer (without causing stability or performance issues), so it can be set to the better, I er, mean "docked" or "classic" mode then presto. It's a win-win for everyone (except the dev team maybe, it might make a little more work for them). We have the chance to try and learn the new version if we want and can keep using it if it proves to be superior or revert back to the original mini browser if it doesn't work out.

Although honestly, you guys nailed it in the original mini browser so I personally don't see any reason to try the new one and so far my experience with the new one has only strengthened those feelings.

• lonestarrider
    lonestarrider
    Community Member
    Options

What Happen to the dropdown menus!!!!!! I hate this new box thing that drops down it slow and it takes MORE CLICKS to find info or password!
    Did I say I hate it! Yes I hate it! Bring back the older and quicker Dropdown Menus!!!!!!!

This is in the Mac OS and the Internet browser!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lonestarrider: We don't have plans to revert to the old 1Password mini, but we'll continue to iterate on the design with further updates. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KushMastaFresh: Thanks for letting us know your preferences. We won't be adding an option for "old mini" as it does not exist in the new version, but we'll take your feedback into account along with everyone else's as we continue to develop 1Password 7.

If you're having trouble with filling though, please start a new discussion in the browser filling category with the details so we can help you with that:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/saving-and-filling-logins

Cheers! :)

• lonestarrider
    lonestarrider
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty
    Thanks for the feedback, but that’s sucks! I almost don’t want to use it now! It slow down my work flow for filling out lots of form i do daily! I guess I could use Text Expander till y’all make it work better!
    I’m not sure why would release something that does not work as well as the older version! If I put something out that didn’t work as well as previous versions to my clients they would probably fire me and find somebody else to do their programming.
    Rating From ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ To ⭐️⭐️

• lonestarrider
    lonestarrider
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty BTW: you don’t fix or change something if it ain’t broke!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@lonestarrider: The old 1Password mini was "broken" in a lot of ways in its limitations. You may not like the new one at first blush. A lot of that is pretty subjective.

As you can imagine, 1Password is an integral part of our workflows as well. If you can tell us specifically what you're having trouble with, I'm sure we can help.

But I suggest you give it a bit more than a few days to make up your mind — and let us know if there are specific improvements that would help you enjoy it more. :)

This discussion has been closed.