How to handle airgapped transfer of certain files for 1Password on Windows

Options

Comments

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

Does 1Password start working correctly after checking for vulnerable passwords?

no, i had to restart app by exiting it from system tray and relaunching it

• @sach_nyc: Any chance you're able to repeat this issue? If you toggle Vulnerable Passwords off, then back on in Settings, it will recheck right away. Chances are, it's related to the known performance issues Greg mentioned, but we could take a peek at some diagnostics from right after you ran a check to make sure. 👍

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

Any chance you're able to repeat this issue?

I just reset vulnerable passwords off and on but issue did not show up. not sure how to repeat this issue

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

any recommendations for some cloud services where I can keep my vault with cryptos safe?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

I just reset vulnerable passwords off and on but issue did not show up. not sure how to repeat this issue

@sach_nyc: I'm glad if it's working for you now. Definitely let us know if you are able to reproduce it later on.

any recommendations for some cloud services where I can keep my vault with cryptos safe?

1Password.com ;)

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

I was talking about backing up local vault. you don't keep local vault backup on 1password.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sach_nyc: Ah, thanks for clarifying. The great thing about 1Password your data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on that to protect your data. That frees you up to store it wherever you like. Provided you use a long, strong, unique Master Password, you're in good shape. :)

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

I am thinking of 10 words passphrase 8-)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sach_nyc: :+1: :)

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

so, today I was adding new credit cards and then I edited a expired card I entered few mins ago and then filtering stopped working. no filtering works on left panel and also right click options on credit cards on right panel show only product three dots (...). i closed app using X icon and now clicking tray icon does not bring up app. chrome icon also stopped working.

Using my skills (which I acquired over long period of time ;) ), I exited app using tray icon and opened it. now everything works but expired credit card was not updated to new one. i.e last save before malfunction did not work.

• @sach_nyc: I'm glad that certain set of skills was able to get you back to happy place. :chuffed: Likelihood is that you exited the app before the edit was saved. It sounds like the freeze happened while you were still editing. In the future, give 1Password a bit to respond again. Your new items would have triggered a sync and we are running into some performance trouble when multi-tasking. I'd hazard allowing that sync to finish would have also allowed you to complete your edit and return to using things normally. We're looking at making this snappier (and thus less likely to cause such trouble) in a future update. :+1:

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

@sach_nyc: I'm glad that certain set of skills was able to get you back to happy place. :chuffed: Likelihood is that you exited the app before the edit was saved. It sounds like the freeze happened while you were still editing. In the future, give 1Password a bit to respond again. Your new items would have triggered a sync and we are running into some performance trouble when multi-tasking. I'd hazard allowing that sync to finish would have also allowed you to complete your edit and return to using things normally. We're looking at making this snappier (and thus less likely to cause such trouble) in a future update.

I am sure it won't return to normal. I have seen this issue before

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sach_nyc: It will return to normal, but we need some time to make some improvements first. Sorry for the inconvenience. As Kate mentioned, if you give it a short while, 1Password will finish its processing and become more responsive.

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

@sach_nyc: It will return to normal, but we need some time to make some improvements first. Sorry for the inconvenience. As Kate mentioned, if you give it a short while, 1Password will finish its processing and become more responsive.

ok..i'll check it next time

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. Meanwhile we're hard at work on addressing it. :) :+1:

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

Ok..this time I waited when this issue occurred. I think it was few minutes (like 3-4 mins) before app filtering options etc were working again.

also, is there a way to edit a vault offline? I have a created a bitlocker encrypted laptop (say laptop1) with no internet and copied a new vault on it from my other laptop with internet. now, how do I edit that vault without internet on laptop1. I do not want internet on laptop1

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

i think there should be a trial desktop license

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sach_nyc,

I think the issues with that check is related to our overall performance issues in the current version of 1Password 7. We are working really hard to address it in our future update.

As for your second question: you can create a local vault in 1Password 7 (1Password > New Vault on this PC) and then copy it manually between your computers. However, if your second laptop is not connected to internet, you will not be able to activate 1Password 7 by adding your 1Password account there. Is this the reason why you want to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7? Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

As for your second question: you can create a local vault in 1Password 7 (1Password > New Vault on this PC) and then copy it manually between your computers. However, if your second laptop is not connected to internet, you will not be able to activate 1Password 7 by adding your 1Password account there. Is this the reason why you want to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7? Thanks!

I do not want to purchase standalone license. I just want a trial license so that I can edit my vault on computer with no internet

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sach_nyc: I may be misunderstanding, but although we're not giving away free licenses, if you're using a 1Password.com account you can still use 1Password offline. Have you tried that?

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

@sach_nyc: I may be misunderstanding, but although we're not giving away free licenses, if you're using a 1Password.com account you can still use 1Password offline. Have you tried that?

computer I am trying to edit my local vault has no internet. what local files from internet enabled computer I have to copy to new laptop with no internet to login without internet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sach_nyc: Oh. That's not going to work. You'd need to sign into the account initially to get the data and let 1Password know you have an account in the first place no matter what. You could, however, use a local vault alongside your account after that. It's not generally something we recommend because that means you'll never get changes to your data, but if you can explain what you're trying to accomplish maybe I can recommend something.

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Oh. That's not going to work. You'd need to sign into the account initially to get the data and let 1Password know you have an account in the first place no matter what. You could, however, use a local vault alongside your account after that. It's not generally something we recommend because that means you'll never get changes to your data, but if you can explain what you're trying to accomplish maybe I can recommend something.

I am adding some crypto seeds to local vault on computer with no internet. i don't want internet on that computer for security reasons. it's kind of air gapped computer

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @sach_nyc,

You could just copy the 1Password local database from the regular laptop to the air-gapped computer, add the file there and then copy the database back to overwrite it on the regular laptop.

You have to ensure that 1Password is terminated before you do this via the 1Password menu > Exit.

1. You can find the local database at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password. Copy the data folder to your USB drive
    2. On the cryptolaptop, exit 1Password, rename the current data folder in that laptop version of %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password, so that you can copy over the data folder from the USB drive
    3. Open 1Password, do your thing with crypto file to add it to your local vault or account, exit 1Password, copy the updated data folder back to your USB drive
    4. Overwrite the data folder on the regular laptop with the updated one from USB drive and do your cleanup.
  • sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

You could just copy the 1Password local database from the regular laptop to the air-gapped computer, add the file there and then copy the database back to overwrite it on the regular laptop.

You have to ensure that 1Password is terminated before you do this via the 1Password menu > Exit.

You can find the local database at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password. Copy the data folder to your USB drive
    On the cryptolaptop, exit 1Password, rename the current data folder in that laptop version of %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password, so that you can copy over the data folder from the USB drive
    Open 1Password, do your thing with crypto file to add it to your local vault or account, exit 1Password, copy the updated data folder back to your USB drive
    Overwrite the data folder on the regular laptop with the updated one from USB drive and do your cleanup.

awesome brother!! I'll try. I too really thought there should be a way to copy over local authentication token (along with data) to cryptolaptop somehow.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sach_nyc: To be clear, that isn't supported, and it's possible that won't work in the future if we need to make changes to 1Password's database structure. But I'm glad that you found Mike's idea helpful. Cheers! :)

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

@sach_nyc: To be clear, that isn't supported, and it's possible that won't work in the future if we need to make changes to 1Password's database structure. But I'm glad that you found Mike's idea helpful. Cheers! :)`

but newly added vault on cryptolaptop will be editable and viewable in future versions too...right?

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Yes, future updates will migrate the database for you.

If you want, you can avoid installing 1Password on the crypto laptop and just copy the whole 1Password folder from regular to crypto and run 1Password.exe from within the app folder. Basically, it is portable like this but you cannot use 1Password extensions in that state. Since the cryptolaptop is not connected to the internet, it matters not. In fact, you could run 1Password from the USB drive as well. So, there is no need to have 1Password anywhere on crypto laptop, you simply use it to add files to 1Password on the USB drive. This ensures you always have the latest 1Password app adding the files with the latest encryption code.

We're giving you options that we cannot officially recommend nor support since this is a public support forum and we don't want anyone to just do this if they don't need to. All breakage or data loss is at your risk.

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

We're giving you options that we cannot officially recommend nor support since this is a public support forum and we don't want anyone to just do this if they don't need to. All breakage or data loss is at your risk.

what could go wrong? if i have new vault with crypto seeds created using this method, it should work

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @sach_nyc,

We don't know since this isn't something we test or do.

Maybe you accidentally format the usb drive before you copy to the laptop, losing the file. It's a lot of steps that if not carefully done, could result into something going wrong. We have to warn you in advance that this is just not something we recommend or support.

This discussion has been closed.