Secret Key without Membership

makason
makason
Community Member

I've been using 1pass for a long time, before memberships and so I don't have an account. Running 1pass6 and looking for my secret key. Under Desktop
App preferences, I don't have a linked account. Trying to link my account asks for secret key or to start a membership.

I can't get the app to work on my phone without it. Please advise. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi @makason! It looks like you aren't using a 1Password account, so you won't want to press the 1Password.com option on the setup screen on your phone. Instead, you can choose the Dropbox option to connect with your vault syncing through Dropbox!

Let me know if I can help you further :)

• jimjpublic
    jimjpublic
    Community Member

I have this same problem. I purchased my lic from the Apple Store. I've been using it for years on my Apple devices. This week, at work we got a Windows system. When I went to install it required a 'Secret Key' among other things. I don' t have a secret code. Also, I can't become a member without a secret code. What to do so that I can use my Windows with 1Password? Do I need to purchase and additional license for the Windows machine? As long as my Apple devices and a new Windows machine will sync, I'm ok with that. Just worried about the missing 'Secret Key"

• @jimjpublic

Your Secret Key is generated during the sign up process for 1Password membership. Membership would allow you to use the latest version of 1Password on all of your devices, which is not something offered with a license. With licenses you’d have to purchase for each platform as well as each new major version (e.x. 1Password 7 for Windows is sold separately from 1Password 7 for Mac). Additionally licenses require manually setting up syncing with a 3rd party service (Dropbox). Membership is an entirely first party offering and makes setting up sync automatic. You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jimjpublic
    jimjpublic
    Community Member

Thank you Ben, very helpful. So, I guess the best thing to do is sign up for Membership. Dumb question, will I be able to transfer all of my password data?

• @jimjpublic

Not a dumb question at all. You can migrate your data. We have a guide which may help here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.