receiving error - you can't open the application 1password 7 because its not responding

sdades
sdades
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

Since upgrading to MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) I have received the error - you can't open the application 1password 7 because it is not responding. I reboot my mac and it then works fine - sometimes for days until it happens again. A reboot solves it again but this has now happened 3 or 4 times over the last 3 weeks. When it happens I am unable to force quit 1 password as it doesnt show up in the force quite list of running applications. Please help

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:you can't open the application 1passowrd 7 because its not responding

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @sdades! I'm sorry for the trouble. There can be a lot of different reasons an app might stop responding, but we've not had a flood of such complaints, so I'm guessing it's something that's unique to your specific setup (particularly since a restart of your Mac restores things, but only temporarily). What version of 1Password for Mac are you using, and what version of browser? Can you please take a screenshot of the error message, the next time you see it, and include it in a reply to me?

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member

Took a few days but it happened again this morning. I was unable to restart or shutdown my mac without holding down the power button. It first started when I used the extension in Safari to try and open and login to a web page. Nothing came up so I clicked several times on the extension button as well as trying to start 1Password from the application menu. After a while the message appeared. 2 days ago I removed 1password and reinstalled it hoping that would fix it but it hasn't. My version is
    1Password 7
    Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
    AgileBits Store

here is the error message.

Please help this is quite annoying when it happens. thank you

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member

forgot to include browser - Safari Version 12.0 (14606.1.36.1.9). Mac OS is 10.14

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sdades - thanks for the update, and I'm sorry this problem appears to be ongoing. At this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#FNV-55212-993]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @sdades only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: FNV-55212-993

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member

I did that earlier today and sent it to support. Can you access it from there? The id is QLA-53517-989

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sdades - OK, thanks -- one of us will be with you shortly via email. :)

ref: QLA-53517-989

• yknot
    yknot
    Community Member

Hi! Keep on having the same issue. Do you know what caused it by any chance?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yknot - I'm sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, not without a little more information, no. Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of 1Password for Mac you are using
    2. What specific version of macOS you are using
    3. What specific version of 1Password extension you have installed, and in which browser
    4. How you sync your data (1Password account, Dropbox, etc)
    5. What specifically isn't working the way you think it should, and any steps you've taken to resolve the problem?

Thanks.

• yknot
    yknot
    Community Member

Hi,
    [I never press post!!! so sorry!]
    1. 1Password 7.2.1
    2. Mojave 10.14.1
    3. Firefox 4.7.3.90
    4. 1Password

It stops working for no reason.
    It "resets" when I restart the computer.
    Thx!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yknot - no worries! Can you please update your copy of 1Password to the recently-released 7.2.2, and let me know how that affects things?

• yknot
    yknot
    Community Member

@lars I did. No choice actually cause it stopped again and I had to restart.
    I'm hoping that will take care of it.
    thank you for being on top of it! Much appreciated.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yknot - I hope so as well -- let us know if you run into any further difficulties or have any more questions. :)

• gtorgis
    gtorgis
    Community Member

Hello, I have been having a similar issue for a few weeks, since using a relatively new computer, a MacBookPro. Specifics: 1Password 7.1.1 and MacOSMojave 10.14.3. I can use 1Password, but am unable to update it. The problem is not intermittent, but constant and nothing I have tried so far, helps. I was about to delete and reinstall, but decided to find out if anyone else has had this problem. I found this site and would very much appreciate any assistance you can provide. I also have your app installed on an iMac, iPad and iPhone. So far, seems to be working/updating on those devices. With thanks in advance for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @gtorgis! I'm sorry for the trouble. If you're still using 7.1.1 on Mojave and cannot update, something's not right. That version of Mojave should let you use even the newest betas of 1Password, let alone the most-recent stable-channel version. So please, let's quit, delete, and re-install. Here's what to do:

1. Quit Safari, if it is running.
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Delete 1Password 7 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash, then restart your Mac. (don't worry, this will not affect your data, which is inside your library folder, not part of the app itself)
    4. Visit our downloads page and grab a copy of the latest 1Password for Mac. Run the installer. Let me know what you discover. :)
  • gtorgis
    gtorgis
    Community Member

Hello, I have been having a similar issue for a few weeks, since using a relatively new computer, a MacBookPro. Specifics: 1Password 7.1.1 and MacOSMojave 10.14.3. I can use 1Password, but am unable to update it. The problem is not intermittent, but constant and nothing I have tried so far, helps. I was about to delete and reinstall, but decided to find out if anyone else has had this problem. I found this site and would very much appreciate any assistance you can provide. I also have your app installed on an iMac, iPad and iPhone. So far, seems to be working/updating on those devices. With thanks in advance for your help.

• gtorgis
    gtorgis
    Community Member

Thank you! Worked perfectly.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gtorgis - great! Glad to hear things worked out well. :)

This discussion has been closed.