Today, 1Password Extension suddenly stopped working.

Options

Hello. 1Password extensions suddenly stopped working, this afternoon. I'm running Chrome and FireFox, latest firm releases of both. I am running 1Password 4.6.2.626. The extensions are 4.7.3.90 for both Chrome and FireFox. I've tried the extension on all of my typical websites (Amazon, American Express, Fidelity, PayPal, etc). It doesn't work on any of them. Based on an earlier post, I checked Help -> Advanced -> USe Native Messaging Protocol. It indicates it is switched on, but I cannot toggle the value. Symptom? I don't know. I've come to depend on 1Password; without the autofill feature, it's much less useful. Any help appreciated.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win 10 Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• I'm sorry you're having trouble, @sadaunhe1! A few quick things to check – first, reboot. I know, I know, I'm the absolute worst, but it helps often enough in these cases it really is worth a try. Second, check to make sure you didn't end up installing 1Password 7 at some point. 7 will aggressively steal the extension from 4 and I've seen folks end up with it accidentally often enough it's always worth a look. If you right-click Start and select Apps & Features, check for an extra 1Password there. If you see 7 and don't need it, uninstall it, reboot, check that native messaging setting again and give it another go.

Let me know if any of the above helps and, if not, we can do some additional digging from there. :+1: Thanks!

• sadaunhe1
    sadaunhe1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, bundtkate. The problem seems to have mysteriously disappeared, following the third reboot. Yeah...that was fun. Should I be worried about this "magical thinking" solution? What are the odds someone has snatched my identity?

• @sadaunhe1: It's unlikely to be anything to worry about. Your extension not working just means that the app wasn't able to connect to your extension. It doesn't affect your data in any way. More likely that not, a helper process failed to start, something went wrong with your Windows registry and Windows fixed it on reboot, or perhaps that helper process crashed and the reboot allowed it to relaunch. These things seem simple on the surface, but there are a lot of little things that can go wrong and gum up the works without warranting any genuine alarm. This entire process has nothing whatsoever to do with your data. It would have been safely encrypted in your vault the whole time. No need to worry. 👍

This discussion has been closed.