1Password6. Setup w/agilekeychain. Sync stopped working. How to shift now to ver 7 and opvault?

SallyShears
SallyShears
Community Member

Something got glitched, long working sync on Mac via Dropbox.

OK, probably time to shift to ver 7 and 1Password account. How to do it? (so that my existing passwords are imported.)

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member

Part of same question... I'm ready to buy ver 7. Web site only offers "Start free trial." How to purchase?

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member

OK, I'm creating a membership and I have found how to take the trial and give a credit card to buy. All OK. And, I have 1Password 7, have "copied" all my password to the new app, and removed the old .agilekeychain, and obtained the new browser extension for safari.

Now, in Safari, 1Password give me two of everyone, claiming each is a "reused password" presumably referencing the other copy. Launching the 1password app, I can se that I have two vaults, "Private" and "Primary". How to get back to the simplicity of one vault and one copy of each entry??

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member

Oops... 1password app shows three vaults: Primary on my mac. Private and Shared on my family membership. How to udnerstand the two on the membership? Are they two copies, both continuously updated? Or do I need to worry about keeping both sync'ed.??? Confusion reigns.

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member

In all three vaults, I have a huge red warning "Reused Password... DON'T!!"

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member

Can you please explain the three valults... Primary... Private... and Shared??

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member

OK, Shared has no entries. Please explain Primary (on my mac) and Private (account)??

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SallyShears - I'm sorry for the confusion! It looks as if you're actually well on your way, if you've gotten a 1password.com account set up and migrated your data over into the account vaults. Here's what you have:

1. Primary - this is the vault you've used since you became a 1Password user: it's the default vault that gets created in a standalone setup.
    2. Personal - this is the first of two vaults that are part of your new 1Password Families membership. It's (as it says) yours alone. No one else including us can access it. This is what you migrated your data from Primary into, it sounds like.
    3. Shared - this is the second vault in your 1Password Families account -- and again, as the name suggests, it's shared between you and every other member of your family that you invite to join.

Each member of your 1Password Families account gets his/her own Personal vault, for their individual items, plus access to the family-wide Shared vault. Shared is a great place for things that everyone needs access to, like the CostCo membership information, or the family Netflix password, etc, while Personal is good for things that only you use -- for example, each family member probably has a Facebook account, but you don't want three or four separate Login items in Shared, all called "Facebook." That's confusing and runs the risk of you signing in as your spouse or child, etc. Make sense now?

If you've got all three of those vaults, and the information in Primary and Personal is the same, then you only need to remove the Primary vault. Here's how: in 1Password 7 for Mac, open Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." That will remove it, and leave you running only your 1Password Families account's vaults.

Once your own setup is all squared away, you can invite your family members, and help get them set up as well. Let us know if you have any problems.

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member

Thanks, again, Lars. Just for anyone else reading, the second is named "Private" in my case, not "Personal."

Thanks for explanation of "Shared."

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SallyShears - sorry about the confusion. It varies from account to account (an Individual account still uses "Personal" and it was the same in 1Password Families for a long time too (old accounts are still listed this way). But as long as you got the gist, that's the important thing. :)

This discussion has been closed.