Create secondary vault not on the 1password cloud

rh314
rh314
Community Member

Hi.

Subscription user here, with my personal information vault stored on my1.password.com. All good up to now.

I now have a new work laptop. I've installed 1password on that machine, and I'm happy I can see my personal passwords on my cloud vault. So far, so good.

But: I want to create a new, separate vault for work passwords. Per policy, I cannot store those in the 1password cloud. How can I keep that new vault on my laptop only (or in a work Dropbox account)?

I can create a new vault but I don't know how to ensure that new vault stays local and not in the 1password cloud.

1Password Version: 7.2.1 (70201002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox cloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rh314 - excellent question. If your company allows you to use 1Password but only with locally-stored data, then what you'll need to do on the "work" computer (presuming it's a Mac) is: click Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will ask you for your Master Password and then it will create a new, standalone Primary vault -- which will become the "main" vault on your work Mac. You'll need to come up with a Master Password for that as well; I strongly suggest you use the same one for this as you have on your 1password.com account. Once you've done that, you'll be able to view all your data (Primary "work" items and your 1password.com account vaults) combined in the All Vaults view, or you can view each vault individually. Just make sure, when you save new items, that they're going into the proper vault.

• rh314
    rh314
    Community Member

Aha. Makes sense, will try it.

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.