Was fine with 1Password 6.8.8 but 6.8.9 upgrade went wrong - using an old vault I think

GeoffMather
GeoffMather
Community Member

1Password 6.8.8 was serving me well on MacBook Pro (10.14), but I saw the update to 6.8.9 (with name change to 1Password6). I went to use it for a recently set up photo service and the passwords were not there. I can see them on my phone, so I think the recent vault is there somewhere, but 1Password6 (6.8.9) doesn't see it. Instead using something a year or two old I would say. Also, I think it is odd that I have both apps versions on my Mac at the same time. Q: was I not supposed to use 6.8.9? I have an annual subscription which I paid at the end of February. Q: Why didn't 6.8.9 replace 6.8.8 ? Note also: when 1Password6 is running (6.8.9) there is no info under the Account tab and when I try to sign in, the window comes up for "scan or manual" but both give me the beep of error that I can't do that. What do you advise? Maybe uninstall 6.8.9 and start over? - but will that delete some things needed by 6.8.8 ? I looked at the similar Q's but didn't find my problem exactly.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 and 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:have 1Password 6.8.8 Did upgrade to 1Password6 6.8.9 problems

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@GeoffMather - I'm sorry for the confusion!

(with name change to 1Password6)

Thanks for mentioning this. If your previous version (6.8.8) of 1Password for Mac was called simply "1Password," and the new one is called "1Password 6" -- and if you now have BOTH installed on your Mac, then what you've got is 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store (that's the one called simply "1Password") and 1Password downloaded and installed directly from us (AgileBits). The reason that matters (other than to whom you send the money, Apple or us) is that the two store their data in different locations on your hard drive, due to Apple's sandboxing restrictions for Mac App Store apps.

• Mac App Store version - ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/
    • AgileBits version - ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/

That's why the data seems different -- because it is. If 6.8.8 is what you've been using until just recently, then that's what you should continue to use. If you've not made any additions/changes/deletions to the data in the 6.8.9 version, then you can simply Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then delete the app called 1Password 6. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. When you re-launch the 1Password app, it will contain all of your current data, just as you left it. Hope that helps! :)

• GeoffMather
    GeoffMather
    Community Member

Thanks for this clarification and clear instructions. I don't remember that there was anything warning me about this situation. Perhaps you should consider adding more explanation somewhere. Or at least have some check in the Install App for 1Password6 that detects the Mac App Store version and says "do you really want to do this ? because .... "
    Geoff

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@GeoffMather - glad I was able to help. :) We walk kind of a fine line here between wanting to add all sorts of warnings and pop-ups to make sure users don't wind up shooting themselves in the foot, and wanting to allow people the freedom to make their own choices without interference, even if they're not the ones we'd make -- or think you should make. The reason there were two data locations for 1Password 6 for Mac's two different versions (ours and the Mac App Store version) is 1) because people like to have a choice of where they purchase/download/install from and 2) because Mac App Store apps are always sandboxed. In 1Password 7 for Mac, we were able to make 1Password a fully sandboxed application (meeting all of Apple's requirements), and were able to have both the Mac App Store version and our own version locate their data in the same place as a result. So anyone with 1Password 7 for Mac will now be able to install from either us or the Mac App Store, and use the same set of data.

This discussion has been closed.