How do I import 1Password 6 data from my secondary Mac into 1Password 7 on my primary Mac?

theaket
theaket
Community Member

Hello.

I have 2 Macs - an iMac and a MacBook Air. They have both been running 1Password 6. They have different vaults with different entries because I use the Macs for different purposes. I have relatively recently signed up for a 1Password membership on my iMac and followed the instructions to upgrade the iMac to 1Password 7, and this went absolutely fine.

Now I want to add the 1Password 6 vault that currently sits on my MacBook Air to my 1Password membership, but I want it to remain as a separate vault. I will want to have access to both vaults from all of my Apple devices (I have iOS devices too) over time, but I do not want to merge the data. I want to keep them as discrete vaults and switch between the two as required. I have never used more than one vault on a single device before, but given the advances made with 1Password 7, I think it is time I made use of them!

Please can you advise me as to the correct way I should be adding my MacBook Air 1Password 6 vault to my existing 1Password 7 membership account, and thus making it available for all my devices accordingly? Thank you in anticipation.

My primary iMac is running the following:
1Password 7
Version 7.2.1 (70201001)
Mac App Store

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @theaket!

I have 2 Macs - an iMac and a MacBook Air.

Hey, me too! :)

Please can you advise me as to the correct way I should be adding my MacBook Air 1Password 6 vault to my existing 1Password 7 membership account, and thus making it available for all my devices accordingly?

Yep! First of all, a 1password.com account is NOT dependent on whether you're using version 6 or 7 of 1Password for Mac. You can use either of those with either standalone data or a 1password.com account. So "1Password 7 account" really isn't a thing. However, once you have a 1password.com account, all of our apps are included in your membership, so there's no reason NOT to use the most-recent version. But let's get you set up first:

If you've already added your 1password.com account to the 1Password 6 for Mac app on your iMac (and hopefully removed your older Primary vault), then you already have the iMac's data within the Personal vault in your 1password.com account. Correct?

If so, then in 1Password 6 on your iMac, choose File > New Vault. Give this new vault a name that works for whatever the data you have on your MacBook Air is: work, volunteering, whatever. Then move over to your MacBook Air, unlock 1Password 6 for Mac and use these instructions to add your account to the existing setup there. Once your account is added into 1Password 6 on your MacBook Air, use these instructions to move your data from the existing Primary vault on the MacBook Air into the new vault you created in your 1password.com account earlier on the iMac. That should leave you with:

1. A now-empty Primary vault on your MBA
    2. All of the data that WAS in the Primary vault now in the new vault of your 1password.com account
    3. Your old Primary vault from the iMac in the Personal vault of your 1password.com account.

This should be the same on both computers -- if you still have the Primary vault on either computer, visit Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts" to remove it. That should give you a complete set of your data, in two separate vaults in your 1Password.com account.

If that's the case, then on your iOS devices (assuming none of them have additional data that's NOT part of what we just did above), then all you need to do is Start Over. When you next launch 1Password for iOS, it will be as if you are a brand-new user: just sign into your 1password.com account by either scanning your setup code or manually entering your data, and you'll be all set to go, with the same data everywhere.

Oh, and -- if you like -- you can also download and install 1Password 7 for Mac on both your Macs: nothing extra to buy or do; it should import your data and you'll be on your way. Just remember to Quit 1Password 6 and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) first. Hope this helps! :)

• theaket
    theaket
    Community Member

Lars, that is the most comprehensive support I have ever received, and so very clear. Everything sounds very logical and I am pretty sure I completely understand the steps I need to take. As everything was covered, I have no further questions at this stage. I will, of course, let you know if I manage to mess it up! Thanks again. Excellent.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@theaket - you're quite welcome; thanks for the kind words! If you get stuck or have additional questions, we're always here (well, I mean, occasionally we sleep and stuff) ;)

This discussion has been closed.