difference between primary and personal vaults

fuelishways
fuelishways
Community Member

I'm confused about the difference between these. On one mac i have 1password X which shows only my personal vault, but on an older mac I have 1password 6 where i see a primary and a personal vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:vaults

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @fuelishways! 1Password X and 1Password 6 for Mac are two entirely different things. 1Password 6 for Mac is the recently-retired version of our 1Password app for Mac (newest is version 7, but version 6 still works fine in nearly all setups). When you use 1Password for Mac, it requires you to install a browser extension to enable 1Password to save and to fill Login and Password data into your browser. The extension that works with 1Password for Mac is currently at version 4.7.3.90, and will work with standalone 1Password data, or a 1password.com account.

1Password X, by contrast, is a browser-only extension that does not require 1Password for Mac to work but DOES require a 1Password account (the data has to "live" somewhere, and if it's not within 1Password for Mac, then it has to be on our servers). So, 1Password X communicates directly with the 1password.com servers, which is why it requires a 1password.com account and cannot currently be used with standalone (local) data.

It sounds as if you've got both local data (Primary) and a 1password.com account (Personal) on your older Mac. If you've got the 1password.com membership, you should probably remove the older, standalone Primary vault -- presuming you don't use it specifically. So, let me ask you: how DO you use it? Are the Personal and Primary vaults more-or-less copies of one another? The same data in both places? Or do you keep different data in each, intentionally?

• fuelishways
    fuelishways
    Community Member

Sorry i meant that I have 1password 7 on my newer mac. My older mac (older operating system too) didn't let me install version 7. They are exact duplicates of each other, at least they were when i first started using it. Now I defaulted everything to save to my personal vault. I'm just afraid to delete the primary vault because i'm not completely positive that i have all the passwords in my personal vault.

so i guess my question is...how would i have gotten an exact duplicate of the primary vault in my personal vault? I don't remember creating a duplicate, but i may have when i first signed up.

I have been using 1password for years, so i actually upgraded (was forced to) from like version 4 so maybe that's when this duplicate happened?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@fuelishways - ah, OK -- thanks for the clarification. Truth be told, you can use a 1password.com account in both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 6 for Mac -- it's not specific to 1Password 7 for Mac. How you'd have gotten the duplicate is a function of how you signed up for your account. If you went through the sign-up process at 1password.com, then you likely would not have gotten duplicates. But if you signed up for your account as part of your upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac on one Mac, then yes, part of the first-run process of version 7 is to import your data into your 1password.com account, and then offer to delete the older standalone Primary vault. It's fine to do this, as you've just imported the data so you won't be losing anything (plus, there are plenty of backups on your hard drive already)...but some users balk at deleting the Primary vault. If you click "I'll remove later," (I believe that's the wording), then you will have those duplicate entries in both places - one in Primary and the other in Personal (in your 1password.com account).

Assuming that the Primary and Personal vaults are still the same (meaning: you haven't made changes/additions to either one), you can simply remove the Primary vault on the one Mac by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts."

• fuelishways
    fuelishways
    Community Member

thank you this clears up a lot

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@fuelishways - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.