Can I use 1Password on 2 separate Macs?

Mxrobinson
Mxrobinson
Community Member

Hi,
I purchased a standalone version of 1Password for iMac in November 2014 and have been using that syncing ok with iPad and iPhone since then. I have now purchased a new iMac and want to add 1Password to that and keep both iMacs synced together with my IOS devices. I believe that when I purchased 1Password for Mac the licence did cover multiple Macs but I can't find any guide to setting up a second Mac using the same vault.
I use a single Primary vault on my old iMac (Late 2009 model) and my new iMac is 2017 model, both using macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6.
I currently have it set up on my old iMac as WLAN and only sync all devices manually over my wifi. I don't use iCloud or dropbox to sync.
Are you able to help please?
Thanks
Mark

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You can certainly use a licenced version of 1PW on as many Macs as you own.

However, 1PW7 is a paid upgrade from 1PW6, so you may need a new licence on your new Mac. But you should be able to download an old version of 1PW towards the bottom of the downloads page, if you don't want to upgrade yet.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mxrobinson - all licenses for 1Password for Mac allow you to license the version you purchase on as many Macs as you own/use. The caveat to that is it's only for the version you purchased. If you have a license for version 3, for example, it does not allow you to license version 5 or 6, etc.

However, WLAN sync is not a suitable sync method if you have more than one Mac, because the WLAN sync server works (as the name implies) on a server --> client(s) basis: you set up the WLAN server on ONE Mac, and then you're able to sync any number of mobile devices (iOS or Android) with it. You can NOT sync from one Mac's copy of 1Password to another Mac's copy. If you have multiple Macs (or a combo of Macs and PCs), I'd recommend a 1password.com membership. You can also use Dropbox sync or (if you have all Apple devices and only a single 1Password vault) iCloud.

• Mxrobinson
    Mxrobinson
    Community Member

Thanks Lars - I'll try and use iCloud sync as that sounds like a possible solution from your advice. I'm happy with 1Password ver 6 and can't see any additional benefits over that if I were to move to a 1Password.com membership at the moment.
    Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mxrobinson - whatever works best for you. :) Remember that if you use iCloud, you'll only be able to sync your Primary vault; other vaults will require a different sync method.

• Mxrobinson
    Mxrobinson
    Community Member

OK thanks Lars - iCloud did not work because we use 2 different Apple IDs (one on my iPhone & iPad and one on my wifes) so unless you can suggest a way round that when syncing to iCloud looks like I may need to consider 1password.com after all?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mxrobinson - well, there's always Drobox sync, but I'd definitely recommend a 1password.com membership -- and if there are two of you using 1Password, then I'd recommend a 1Password Families membership for the two of you. It's pretty easy to get started and migrate your data but let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.