There are syncing issues. Again.

cryptochrome
cryptochrome
Community Member

Not sure when this bug was re-introduced, but I just added a new login through 1PX and that is not syncing over to the 1P desktop app. It shows up in the web UI though.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.3.BETA-1 (70203001)
Extension Version: 1.13.3
OS Version: macOS 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you're not having a sync issue with 1Password X, since you're seeing it show up on the server. Is that right? If so, it would be helpful to know the OS and 1Password version where you are having the sync issue, so we can put this discussion in the right places and go from there. Thanks!

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Hey @brenty - that is correct. The new items don't sync down from 1PX/Web to the desktop client. The version info is attached in the footer of my initial post.

Thanks!

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

deleted post

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: Thanks for confirming. I've moved you to the Mac category if the forum since that's where you're having the issue. So we can get some information about what's happening on your Mac, please do the following:

1. Create a new test item in your Personal/Private vault on 1Password.com in your browser
    2. Verify that you can view it in the same vault in 1Password X
    3. Check the same vault in 1Password for Mac
    4. If you're still not seeing it in 1Password or Mac, generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine the cause:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#PWA-93469-933]

If you’re reading this and you are not cryptochrome, this Support ID is for cryptochrome only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: PWA-93469-933

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Unfortunately, your forum does not always send out email notifications when new replies are added to a thread, so I missed your last message. I came back here today, because this issue has resurfaced. Again. Would be nice if you guys could fix this once and for all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: Hmm. I'd suggest checking your spam. I get a lot of notifications here, and it seems to work. But I'm sorry if you missed it for any reason. It's no problem to reply now or any time though. :) Anyway, happy to look into it, but we will need some more details in order to have any hope of finding out why this is happening in your case.

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Here is some more information: After I updated a login yesterday using 1PX (changed password on a site), the new password would not sync to 1P Desktop. I waited a while, maybe an hour and it still had not synced. So I pasted the new password manually into the login item in 1P Desktop. As soon as I saved it, a new entry appeared in the login item named "CONFLICT" and sure enough, it also contained the new password. Looks like as soon as I updated locally, it triggered a sync and found there was a new password in 1PX.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome - interesting. It sounds as if something's interfering with the notifier in 1Password for Mac, but I can't be certain. Can you try this for us? Please change something not in 1Password X, but directly at 1password.com (i.e. - sign into your account directly in a browser, then change an item - maybe the title of an item - in the web client). If that also doesn't show up in 1Password 7 for Mac, then the problem is definitely something blocking 1Password for Mac's notifier...but if it does, then the problem would be something to do with 1Password X. Let me know what you discover! :)

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Hey @Lars - I just tried. I created a new login item directly through the web interface. This has not synced over to 1P on my Mac (I waited 10 minutes, it's still not here).

I am using 1password.eu by the way. Not sure if that's relevant.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome - so, my next question would be: what kind of network filters/AV software/firewalls do you have in place, either on your Mac, or at the network level? Something that might be blocking our notifier? At this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#REZ-51426-242]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @cryptochrome only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: REZ-51426-242

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

This is a small business corporate network, so we actually have a very sophisticated firewall with IPS and all that shiny stuff. But.. my IP address has full access without any restrictions. But I will still check it out.

In the meantime, diag report incoming.

• Hi @cryptochrome,

Thanks for sending the report. You can also try this test: after creating or changing an item using the 1Password.com web login, change vaults on 1Password for Mac, and then change back. Or lock and unlock. Does the item sync then?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Yes @ag_kevin - it does sync when I do that.

• @cryptochrome,

This sounds distinctly like the connection between 1Password for Mac and the websockets based notification service that we use to notify clients that there are changes for them to pull down from the server is being interfered with in some way; the hostname that you should see in your IPS/firewall logs would be b5n.1password.com, on port 443. That connection is what tells 1Password that there is new data, so you'll want to see if that's being blocked.

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

I just analyzed the logs of the firewall and could not find anything that would indicate sessions to that host being blocked or dropped. But I don't want to rule out that option. It's just weird that this is an intermittent problem. It only occurs sporadically and then disappears. But I guess if I am the only one having this issue, the problem must be located on my end. I'll keep monitoring the firewall.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome - to be clear, you're not the only one having this issue...but you are one of a tiny handful, and every time we've drilled down on this with someone, it's been either inconclusive or - more frequently - something down to local network conditions. I think monitoring your firewall is probably excellent strategy. But we've also got your diagnostics report and will be taking a look at it from our end to see what we can find.

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Sounds good @Lars - thank you. At least I have a workaround now (quickly switching Vaults), so it just a minor annoyance now :)

• @crytpochrome,

Yeah, switching vaults and/or locking/unlock should trigger an on-demand sync in the absence of the web sockets notifier being able to notify the client about the new data updates.

This discussion has been closed.