I just migrated my system to a new Mac and now 1Password is unusable.

davistech
davistech
Community Member
  • I set up a new Mac Mini and migrated all files from a MacBook Pro.
  • Now get the “attempt to write a readonly database” error message when trying to save changes to 1P
  • Cannot empty the trash.
  • I made sure that I was connected to my account.
  • Changes that I make online do not sync to my local account.
  • I deleted 1P from my computer and reinstalled it.

I sent an email to 1P support -- no response.
I sent a twitter to 1P support -- no response.

I am a long-time user and a strong proponent of 1Password and am getting frustrated by the lack of support from the company.

Please advise as how to fix this problem -- 1P is currrently unusable.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can't save changes on Mac. Error "attempt to write a readonly database"

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @davistech! I'm sorry for the trouble, and also for the delay in our response time. We've been experiencing a surge of support requests recently with the simultaneous release of 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows, plus the changes in Safari brought on with macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). We're working hard to get back to our usual speedy reply times, but I do apologize for the delay.

However, unless you emailed us from multiple addresses, I was able to find only one from the same address as you used to register here on our forum, and you did receive a reply to that one. The "readonly database" error isn't a function of a 1password.com account, it's that someone - you or another admin on the Mac in question on which you're having this problem - either migrated a user from Migration Assistant or Time Machine backups of another Mac, or modified the preferences of the current user. The result is that in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data, two key database files:

• B5.sqlite
    • OnePassword.sqlite

have a different Mac user listed as owner than the rest of the setup (and the actual owner of that Mac user account). To fix the .sqlite file ownership, open Terminal (located in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder) and run this command (copy & paste is recommended, here, as syntax must be exact):

sudo chown "${USER}" ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application\ Support/1Password/Data/*.sqlite

Make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) before attempting this procedure, then run the command and restart 1Password 7 for Mac. Let us know how that works for you.

ref: QHJ-87372-884

• davistech
    davistech
    Community Member

Thanks! This worked. I noticed that others have had the same problem so this might be something to add to your Knowledgebase.

Cheers
    Phil

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davistech - glad I was able to assist. Thanks for the suggestion, but we don't usually add solutions to rare problems to our online documentation, especially when they contain complicated and potentially dangerous command-line steps. While you can find other examples of this specific issue here on the forum if you know what to search for, what you can't see here is the size of our overall userbase for 1Password for Mac, and thus the comparative obscurity of this issue. As such, we'd much rather identify this on a guided, case-by-case basis instead of allowing all comers to self-diagnose it, perhaps incorrectly, and possibly apply the solution improperly, resulting in a whole new - and unnecessary - potential category of problems. Glad you're back up and running! :)

This discussion has been closed.