OneDrive sync support for 1Password [feature request]

Options
13»

Comments

• chickenmatt5
    chickenmatt5
    Community Member
    Options

I created an account to express my interest in OneDrive syncing for the iOS app, much like in the 1Password 6 app on the Windows Store.

• yinseny
    yinseny
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox is blocked in my country (China, PRC). Every time when I want to sync passwords, I need to open a VPN first. It's a very unpleasant experience. The only thing that stopping me from switching back to LastPass is the OTP function. But the Cons are keep growing.

Syncing with OneDrive between all devices would be a big selling point especially for China mainland users.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! So far we've gotten some helpful feedback — both positive and negative — from folks using OneDrive with the 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta, so if things go well there we may be able to add OneDrive support to other platforms in the future as well. :)

• ism1
    ism1
    Community Member
    Options

I am new to 1Password. How do I signup for V6. I have been waiting years for OneDrive support and it seems it may be happening. I would like the family account with OneDrive support and I am willing to pay to help you guys test.

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @Ism1,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password 6 for Windows is not yet available for everyone, it is currently limited to 1Password.com customers. Full local vault support is coming in a future update but we don't have a timeframe. OneDrive support is limited to desktops and this doesn't require 1Password 6 either, the Windows, macOS, and Android versions of 1Password support Folder Sync for a few years now, so you could put the local vault in the same folder that's synced to all of these platforms and 1Password will read/write to it.

I would like the family account with OneDrive support and I am willing to pay to help you guys test.

When you said family account, do you mean 1Password.com Families? If so, 1Password.com automatically handles the data for you, there is no external syncing required. As soon as you sign into your 1Password.com account in any 1Password app, it will have the data ready for you.

• chris830
    chris830
    Community Member
    Options

I am a long time 1Password user and purchsed the desktop and mobile versions.

I would like to see support for OneDrive on iOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! I'm glad Microsoft has branched out to support other platforms, so hopefully we can add OneDrive on iOS in the future ourselves too. :)

• Steve_R
    Steve_R
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a religious 1Pwd4+DropBox user on Win7 (about to migrate to Win10, hence the look for OneDrive sync w/ 1Pwd4 -- +1 vote there please) and Android. I plan to try Mike T.'s folder sync suggestion with OneDrive on Win10 and Marshmallow or Nougat. I will try to come back after testing and let you know how it went.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Steve_R: Great! Let us know! I should add though since you mentioned Android that 1Password for Android does not yet have support for OPVault folder sync yet, only AgileKeychain, in case that saves you some confusion.

• cojaxx8
    cojaxx8
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

• 1 for OneDrive support through the iOS app. In the past I have been using dropbox for this, but they have recently changed the licensing of the free version to only allow syncing 2 computers. I am stuck in a corner atm, because I have got more than 2 computers and don't really want to spend additional money upgrading dropbox to the pro version just for 1Passwords purpose.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! As far as I could tell, Dropbox has implemented this change only for certain regions/accounts, but I can totally understand not wanting to pay for something you can get for free if that happens to affect you. I only wish OneDrive were free, or that they hadn't drastically reduced my storage over time. :lol:

• SamKowald
    SamKowald
    Community Member
    Options

I've just made the switch to onedrive and would like to ditch dropbox all together. Please add support before I get tempted by one of the better competing subscriptions services.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello @SamKowald,

Thank you for chipping in! ;) We will definitely consider adding OneDrive support in the future.

If you consider subscription services, have you checked our 1Password accounts out? With 1Password account, your encrypted vault is stored on our servers and you don't need any other service to sync your data – it happens automatically. You simply download the apps from 1Password.com and sign in to your account, your data should be there.

Please let us know, if you are interested! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• SamKowald
    SamKowald
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately your competition is a better fit for me.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SamKowald: Thanks for writing back! :+1:

Do you mind sharing your requirements with us? If there is anything we can do to make things better, please tell us about it. Your experience and feedback is one of the most important things we can gather to improve 1Password, so it would mean a lot if you had some to share. Thank you very much! :chuffed:

Cheers,
    Greg

• SamKowald
    SamKowald
    Community Member
    Options

What bugs me most is the UI of the windows app and Mozilla plug in. They both are functional but look horrible. A new modern minimalist look would be amazing. Also the plugins ability to sense when I am entering a new login into an already saved site or new site works only occasionally. A quick google search shows this is a normal problem and that competitors are better at this. (And of course the lack of one drive support.)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@SamKowald: Thank you for your thoughts!

1Password 6 for Windows is quite young (roughly, it is 7 months old), but we are working really hard to improve it. You can share your constructive feedback with us via email and stay updated with the latest news from 1Password 6 here.

Again, thank you for sharing your point of view. We really appreciate your time.

Cheers,
    Greg

• SamKowald
    SamKowald
    Community Member
    Options

While I'm here can I just ask what happened to the gui for the plugin that disappeared a year or 2 ago?

• Hi @SamKowald,

I'm not sure which GUI you mean, we have the same GUI in 1Password 4 for 2+ years. Are you referring to 1Password 3 extensions that had its own built-in UI and its own database? If so, we were reaching the limits of what we could do with the self-contained extension 4-5 years ago, so we've switched to using a native interface that's running from the native 1Password program while the extension handles the filling/saving only. 1Password Helper in 1Password 4 and the upcoming 1Password mini in 1Password 6 both handles the data/UI for your 1Password data while communicating it securely on demand to the 1Password extension when it needs something.

1Password 6's mini will be getting monster improvements in the near future to replicate the same experience as the macOS version of 1Password 6 but we don't have a timeframe on it yet.

• SamKowald
    SamKowald
    Community Member
    Options

That is what I was remembering, thanks for the info.

• You're welcome!

• Nighty01
    Nighty01
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I want to sync 1PW with iPhone and my OneDrive store. But I see it is not possible to bind it to OneDrive in iOS.
    No, I can not use iCloud, it's not possible to sync iCloud over our company network. They only allow "OneDive" ( Don't ask me why they have that policy )

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nighty01: Thank you for chipping in!

Is there a particular reason why you want to use OneDrive to sync your data?

We now have 1Password accounts and they seem to be a better fit in your situation. Take a look:

Why 1Password account?

When you have one, your encrypted vault is stored on our servers and you don't need any other service to sync your data – it happens automatically. You simply download the apps from 1Password.com and sign in to your account, your data should be there.

Please let me know if you are interested!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Jarmensjo
    Jarmensjo
    Community Member
    Options

Need OneDrive support. Please add

• It is already added in 1Password 6 for Windows as an option. However, our main focus right now is for our own 1Password.com service, so it may be a while before OneDrive is supported across all platforms.

• AGo4
    AGo4
    Community Member
    Options

I understand the focus on the fee-based service from the business stand. But please don't forget the customers which supported you from the early days, bought the 1password product and are not willing to switch to a monthly fee for something they already own.
    So please add onedrive for iOS so we are no depended on just dropbox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

@AGo4: We don't currently have any plans to develop and support additional 3rd party sync services, and if we do that in the future, it would probably not be a free upgrade. While we certainly appreciate your support, it isn't really sustainable to continually add things like that otherwise. After you purchase 1Password, we don't stop working for you: we continue to develop, test, and support you and the rest of our awesome customers, but new features require a lot of resources to create and maintain. If you want seamless cross-platform sync, you don't have to be dependent on Dropbox; you can have that now with a 1Password.com membership. Even if we were to add OneDrive, it can't be seamless, and if it breaks or changes in any way, we can't fix it because it's simply not within our power to do so. That's why we've gone this route instead.

This discussion has been closed.