Importing OPVault into 1Password account

This discussion was created from comments split from: Bug on 7.0.532 with linked documents.

Comments

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT ,

When importing your existing vaults, we do link them in both direction and that is only because attachments were attached to the item itself, so they're linked like so.

I just signed up for a 1P account and migrated everything from v6 to the v7 beta by using the Share -> Copy to get everything from my old standalone vaults to the 1P account vaults. All attachments were saved as individual documents and links created in their place in the original items, but the documents are not linked, as you seemed to imply should be the case, back to their items.

• Hi @twilsonco,

Share > Copy is not the same as importing the vault directly into your 1Password account's vault, we actually recommend migrating by import because the import process will convert them rather than just making a straight copy like Share > Copy. If you just did this now without making any changes, I would recommend to import the standalone vaults using the 1Password Menu > Import option instead. You can also create a new vault on 1Password.com website to test the import and see it works better for you.

Here are the details of migrating your standalone vaults to 1Password.com account's vault.

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I tried that method, and selected 1Password 6 as the import source, but it wouldn't let me select the opvault files, so I was stumped.... Seems the only way to get the opvault files into 1P was to just open them with 1P; is that the same as an import? (sorry for hijacking the thread!)

• Hi @twilsonco,

I've split our discussion into its own thread. When you said it wouldn't select OPVault folder, can you give me more details on what happened when you do select the folder?

Here's what it looks like:

To import, you have to use the 1Password Menu > Import, expand the AgileKeychain or OPVault folder option and click on the select a folder button.

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Here's what I see after clicking File -> Import in 1P7 beta on macOS:

And when I navigate to the directory containing my opvault files, they're not selectable:

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @twilsonco,

You've replying in the Windows beta forum. macOS does not yet support bi-directional linking during the import.

Also, macOS doesn't do OPVault/AgileKeychain import like this, you'd have to copy it manually like you did before. We're looking to making this consistent on the macOS side too but they may take a while to implement.

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

Ha! Well that explains everything...

• Sorry about the confusion, we're on a path to making all 1Password apps consistent but it will take a while.

• adammurnane
    adammurnane
    Community Member

Don't take this too personally Mike, but you guys really bungled the migration process from 1Password 6 to 1Password7, for macOS users at least. I was an evangelist for your product prior to the release of 1Password 7 but the experience of having to manually import every single thing just to get this update to work has left a bad taste in my mouth.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@adammurnane: I'm not sure I follow. What's the problem you're having? It sounds like you're using a Mac, but as mentioned above this is a discussion about a Windows beta from April. Happy to help if you'll let us know more about your situation though!

This discussion has been closed.