Unable to sign in to a Google account using a saved passkey

Options
Stanthewizzard
Stanthewizzard
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Neither Google nor Microsoft offers me to use passkey as a sign in method.
Am I doing it wrong ?
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

After installing the browser extension in Chrome, I was able to create and store a Passkey in 1Password. However whenever I try to use this Passkey, e.g. to sign in to google.com or when trying to perform sensitive tasks like managing my account, where you get prompted for a Passkey confirmation, I can't use the Passkey stored in 1P.
    Chrome wants me to insert my security key and as I cancel that immediately offers to scan a QR code.
    It seems like my existing Passkeys take precedence and 1Password is not even considered.
    Am I missing something? Layer8 problem?
    Hints welcome

P.S. on the passkeys.io demo site and on omg.lol I can sign in with a Passkey using 1Password, so this seems to be related to google.com

1Password Version: 8.10.7
    Extension Version: 2.12.0
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Browser:_ Chrome 114.0.5735.110

• Hey @Manaburner,

I hope you've been enjoying saving and signing in with passkeys in 1Password in the open Beta! As for this issue you're seeing with passkeys in Chrome on Windows; It looks like Chrome is invoking it's own passkey/security key prompts before 1Password has a chance to pull up your saved passkey. These steps below should help improve that experience you're seeing and I'd like to ask you to give them a try for me:

1. In Chrome > Settings, “Offer to save passwords” should be disabled. 1Password for Chrome should be controlling this setting in your browser.

2. Copy and paste chrome://flags/#enable-debug-for-secure-payment-confirmation into the address bar and press Enter/Return. Disable this setting and restart the browser.

After doing the above, could you then try signing in to your Google account again to see if 1Password is now offering to sign in using your passkey? :)

• Hey @Stanthewizzard,

Let's start with the steps to set up a passkey Google and see if things are working as they should be:

1. Make sure you are using the latest beta version of 1Password in your browser (2.12.0)
    2. Sign in to your Google account as you normally would
    3. Click on your account in the right hand corner and choose 'Manage your account'
    4. Choose Security in the left hand panel and then beneath 'How you sign in to Google' click 'Add a passkey'
    5. Select your account in the prompt that appears from 1Password and choose Save.
    6. You should now see '1 passkey' added within that 'How you sign in to Google' section.

Let me know how these steps go and if when you sign out and sign back in again you are offered your passkey to sign in.

• Stanthewizzard
    Stanthewizzard
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks
    Everything already done
    Passkey is available in Google and 1pass

But not as a sign in method from google account

• logiclabs
    logiclabs
    Community Member
    Options

I have similar issue in Chrome and Edge. I have USB hardware keys (Yubikey 4) registered to my google account. I only get offered to login using the USB device (though it can't as it's not a passkey compatible key), not 1Password. Clicking cancel, shows the native 2FA dialog in Chrome/Edge with Windows Hello/External device offered.

Firefox works fine, and it chooses to use the 1Password passkey over the USB key.

I have tried the solution offered by @jac.pd_1p in Chrome, and it doesn't appear to have worked. the only difference was my phones Passkey was added as an option on the native dialog box.

When adding the passkey in my google account, it displayed a dialog that said it wasn't possible on this device. Closing the dialog, 1Password then popped up and offered to save the Passkey and it appeared to add a passkey to my account OK.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

same here via Safarii and Edge - but also have the same problem with Passkey iCloud Keychain in Safari. Google offers to create passkey and one I'll relogin again it said "you wanna create a passkey" - sometimes it works in same browser on same machine. But never on other browsers or machines (synchronized)

• logiclabs
    logiclabs
    Community Member
    Options

@jac.pd_1p : I've managed to fix the issue on my google account. It appears there are 2 ways to register passkeys to your google account. The obvious "Passkeys" option on google account seems to fail, as above. But I went into the "Security keys" option in my google account, clicked "Add security key" and 1Password immediately offered to save the passkey. The 1Password passkey registered in this way now works perfectly in both Chrome and Edge.

Using Security Keys, I didn't get the message about not working on this device, as I did with the Passkeys option.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jac.pd_1p

In Chrome > Settings, “Offer to save passwords” should be disabled. 1Password for Chrome should be controlling this setting in your browser.

This was already set.

Copy and paste chrome://flags/#enable-debug-for-secure-payment-confirmation into the address bar and press Enter/Return. Disable this setting and restart the browser.

I changed that and afterwards, I got the 1Password prompt, but it seems this was only the case because 1Password was locked. After unlocking, the problem persisted, i.e. still only prompts for security key and QR code

• logiclabs
    logiclabs
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

If you didn't click the "Use passkeys" option that is shown on the Google account Passkeys page, you need to enable the "Skip password when possible" option on the security settings page (it's down the bottom, after the list of device logged in).

This will then use passkeys first after entering/selecting your account, instead of password. If you need to login using a password, you can do that by clicking on the "Try another way" link shown on the on the dialog.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

I've tried adding a security as described by @logiclabs . It seems to work only if you already have a different security key already in your account, i.e. I was able to add this to one of my Google accounts which already had a Yubikey but when I tried the same with a different Google account, the Passkey was created, but after trying to name the key, the page only said "Problem occurred" and I couldn't store the description.

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I am having the same problem with using a passkey on Google with both Chrome and Edge. After creating a Passkey then logging in, I selected the button to "login another way" and the choice to use a passkey was there but on all subsequent login attempts when choosing that link the "login with a passkey link disappeared". Shame on Google for this dysfunctionality. I created passkeys on BestBuy, Adobe, Hyatt and Home Depot and logging in with my passkey stored in 1Password worked perfectly.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Firefox and adding the passkey to my Google account seemed to work fine, but when trying to log in, the prompt still behaved exactly like before I added the passkey, and there was no sign of an option for signing in using the passkey.

I tried adding a security key instead as suggested, and 1Password popped up asking if I wanted to update an existing key or create a new one. I chose to update, but when I'm then supposed to give the key a name in the Google account, I only got an error message from Google saying something went wrong, and to try again. But if I exit out of the security key wizard, it has added another passkey to the account anyway...

So adding a passkey through the correct option in the security settings for the Google account works when adding the key, but not for logging in, and it doesn't matter if I choose Use another device or Continue in the create key wizard. Conversely, if I try to add a passkey by choosing the option Security key, the wizard fails when I try to give the key a name, but the key is still added as a passkey and I can use it, but only as an MFA method, as I still need to enter my password first (I have the option checked under security settings for skipping the password when possible).

I sure like the concept of passkeys, but It's evident that we're in the early days, as right now they're only causing me issues that regular passwords don't, but hopefully it will get better with time.

• @Manaburner @logiclabs @telephoneman2 @oUNderge

Thanks all for letting me know your experience with using passkeys from 1Password in Google so far. Whilst I look further into this on my end, do any of you have a period (.) in your Google email addresses by any chance? I believe this is a newly discovered quirk that the team have on their radar from over the weekend.

Could you also let me know if you're using Mac, Windows, or Linux here since I've only seen this happen in browsers on Windows devices so far.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@jac.pd_1p I'm using Windows and don't have a period in my email address. The Google account I've been testing with is registered with my custom domain, so I don't have a Gmail address attached to it.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@jac.pd_1p hello jack, I think this is issue on google side. I just got it rare working - if it worked then just random and only on the same machine. For whatever reason google seems not detect or is willing to detect, that a passkey is waiting for use. Issues appear on windows same like Mac. I tried with iCloud Keychain passkey from Mac safari ->iOS (fail); IOS ->Mac Fail. If it worked then only on same machine - but also here- no pattern found. Now tried same with 1 Password, with additional Safari ->Edge on Mac. Fail (no . in email)

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I played a bit around in google -it seems google is using the passkey as 2nd factor after keying in User/Password. Instead of OTP it grabs the passkey. If you log off google it might keep in a cookie to suppress any 2nd step auth at all after once successful login (especially when you said in login 2nd factor step "don't ask me again") - if you do in private mode or wipe cookies it forces the 2nd factor - I could not find a way to use passkey as main login mechanism. It seems that's just a 2nd factor, but always user/password is mandatory in first step. Similar like you do for 1password.com login - either OTP or passkey

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Google has a long blog post about the release of passkeys for Google accounts, which may shed some light on why it's working the way it does.

• tmuro17
    tmuro17
    Community Member
    Options

A passkey can be created for my Google accounts on my desktop, and though the passkeys are present in 1Password on my laptop, I am not able to use the passkey to sign in. It is unclear to me whether this limitation is on Google's side, or if the 1Password extension is failing to provide some metadata.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.8 (81008012)
    Extension Version: 2.12.0
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Safari, Brave

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    Options

I'll be honest, I've had issues just changing browsers on the same machine, or using incog/private mode. I even find that without the cookie of a successful login, it just ignores there is a passkey on it.

It's only an issue that seems to apply to Google. No idea what's causing the issue.

• Fydon
    Fydon
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@jac.pd_1p I'm using Edge on Windows 11. I have a period in my email address. I have a Windows passkey setup, in addition to 1Password. It prompts for the Windows one first. If I cancel that, there is not an option to use 1Password instead, only my phone or another device (shows QR code to scan). Removing the Windows passkey defaults to using security key as others have mentioned.

When adding the 1Password passkey, 1Password prompted first. Cancelling this allowed me to create the Windows passkey again.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

@logiclabs that google seems to have issues. There is a dedicated thread for google other people have issues here. That "skip when possible" is enabled, but anyway it not using the Passkey. its using it for 2 factor but not as main login w/o user/password. It's also not working for Safari iCloud Keychain - there it wasn't working since day one when google introduced that feature. For what ever reason it keeps asking for password and user - just for 2nd factor its used for me (where it was asking for OTP before)

• Fydon
    Fydon
    Community Member
    Options

@jac.pd_1p I tried Edge on macOS and 1Password was the first prompt for passkey.

• Fydon
    Fydon
    Community Member
    Options

I created a Google passkey on Edge on Windows 11 and signed in on Edge on macOS. Sign-in with the Google passkey on Edge on Windows doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

@TataruTaru passkeys aren't working on all browsers and OSes. What are you trying?

• passwordsbeegone
    passwordsbeegone
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue as @telephoneman2. I have followed all these steps and have successfully saved my passkey into my Google account and told to skip passwords when possible; however, there does not seem to be a way to actually sign in with it. 1Password does not offer to sign in with the passkey and Google only provides a password as the only option.

I have the same issue with ebay.ca. I was able to create a passkey, but I don't see anyway of actually signing into ebay with the passkey I created.

• passwordsbeegone
    passwordsbeegone
    Community Member
    Options

It's strange to me that cookies seem to be the way websites allow you to login with a passkey.

Passkeys don't seem to work in incognito or in a browser that you didn't use to create / sign in using passkeys before.

May be a different issue with Google, but I can only sign into ebay using the same browser I created it with. If I try incognito or Edge when I created it in Brave, it doesn't offer the option.

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

So, this is roughly what I have done.

Using Firefox with BETA extension, I logged into my Google account, using password/OTP. It then gave me the option to add passkey.

As long as I don't delete history, Google will allow me to use passkey to login. If I go to private window or remove firefox history, the only option my google account has, is to login with password. (This includes picking other methods). It treats it as if the account has no passkey, not even giving the option of the QR code using another device.

If you login, you can confirm that there is a passkey on the account, but you can no longer use it as an option.

If you now add a second passkey, and sign out, you can once again sign in using a passkey.

The secondary issue at the moment is that, if you have multiple google accounts, it will always use the top passkey entry, so if you have a@gmail.com and b@gmail.com, if you attempt to login using a or b, it will always use a's passkey.

This seems to only affect google, though I need to do further testing, but many of the other entries on passkeys.directory don't have this issue.

I will try adding 1password to edge and doing some testing as well.

EDIT: Can confirm that EDGE only gives password as login option, so I have to assume Edge has some identifier that's being synced between the 2 instances?

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    Options

Make sure 1password can work inprivate windows. I seem to be able to use passkeys on ebay across firefox, edge, brave. Normal and Private. Google just seems to not give me the option unless I sign in with password, maintain history and setup a new passkey.

Google just seems weird overall atm.

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    Options

This should be where you'd sign in on ebay.ca, but google, its just weird

• passwordsbeegone
    passwordsbeegone
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed that even 1password's own demo does not pick up the passkey to login to the existing account I created when in incognito or using Edge when I used 1password beta in Brave to create the passkey.

https://passage.1password.com/demo

The promise of multi-device syncing of passkeys seems to not be working in general on this initial rollout.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

@jac.pd_1p
    I'm on Windows using Chrome and yes, I have a period in my email address.

This discussion has been closed.