Installation Problem after "Access Denied" Error

I had to do partial Windows recovery on my HP Windows 10 laptop. This was the recovery process that saves your files but reloads the OS and eliminates all downloaded programs.

After downloading the 1Password installation file, I kept getting an access denied error when I tried to install it. I found a suggestion in this forum to place the "app" folder directly on the Desktop and try installing from there. This worked!

The problem I now have is that it appears the program is installed to my desktop rather than in my Program Files. I cannot delete the "App" folder from my desktop (this results in a folder or file in use error) and 1Password is not listed in my Start Menu.

The only way I can launch the program is to open the desktop desktop "App" folder, then the "7.3.657" folder and launch from there.

How do I get the program installed in my Program Files area and have an icon in my Start Folder?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @Tipsy! What's in the app folder is actually not the installer, that's the installed app. I know, you're probably confused, I'll go over it. So, our new installer installs updates in a versioned folder (that's the 7.3.657 folder you see), then renames that folder to just "7" after it has removed older versions and cleaned up old folders. The access denied error you were seeing likely meant that we weren't able to rename that versioned folder, based on what you see in that folder now. So, what you're doing is running the app from the wrong place rather than installing in the right one. Not to worry – it's a bit confusing at the moment and it's totally understandable to make these kinds of mistakes. We're working on making it better. For now, open your downloads folder (where you likely have the actual installer) and run the installer from there without changing a thing – leave your app folder on your desktop and allow 1Password to install again. Let me know if it does so successfully. If it does, you can reboot, then you should be able to delete the folder on your desktop, but let me know if any of this gives you trouble and I'd be happy to help with some alternative steps to get things working properly. :+1:

• Tipsy
    Tipsy
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, about 10 minutes before you replied, I uninstalled the 1Password Chrome extension, rebooted and after several attempts at individually deleting the folders/files from the "App" folder on my desktop, I was able to delete the "App" folder in its entirety, along with all of its contents.

I have since downloaded the installation file again, both directly to my Desktop (could not install - "access denied") and to my Download folder (again, could not install - "access denied").

So this is where I am. I could really use some help, please.

• Tipsy
    Tipsy
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

The exact error message in the pop-up box is:

"Error: IO error Access is denied. (os error 5)"

Also, when I right click the installation file, and select Properties:General, there is NO check-mark next to "Hidden."

• Give this a go, @Tipsy:

1. Open start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app to search and press enter.
    2. Look in this folder and tell me what you see. Just a 7 folder? A 7 folder and a versioned folder? Just a versioned folder?

I have a decent guess that it will be just the versioned folder, but better to confirm. Assuming I'm right, though, go ahead and change nothing, reboot, and try the installer again. We've learned that for some reason a Windows system process can lock down the 1Password folders leading to this error and, when that's the case, a reboot can often release that lock and allow install to complete. Regardless, let me know what you find out. We're still working on improvements to the installer and any and all data on what works and doesn't in what cases is extremely helpful.

Thanks!

• Tipsy
    Tipsy
    Community Member

Success! I got the program to install! I'm fairly certain the "access denied" problem was the result of a McAfee trial firewall that got installed during the OS recovery.

I first disabled the McAfee firewall and tried to launch the 1Password installer again, with no success. I then completely removed the McAfee program, rebooted and was able to install 1Password.

Bundkate, you replied while I was typing this response; I had tried %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app several times after having read the suggestion in other support posts. If I recall correctly, what I was seeing was the versioned folder. But at this point, I'm not 100% sure because I've tried so many things and downloaded, rebooted, etc so many times.

Though I'm not 100% at this point, I'm fairly confident it was that unwanted McAfee that was preventing installation.

Thank you for the replies.

• Thanks for the info all the same, @Tipsy! I'm pretty sure we're aware of a few AVs still being trouble – a stroke of irony given one goal with the new installer was to avoid such issues. Gotta focus on taking steps in the right direction, though. :wink: I'll make sure the team working on the installer is aware of your experience and we'll definitely keep what worked for you in mind as we make improvements. Thanks again! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.