Mac not syncing

4sb
4sb
Community Member

Hello, the hard drive on my iMac died. Prior to replacing it, I had updated many passwords. I re-installed everything from time machine and now see that none of my updated 1passwords are on the iMac (they're still correct on both the iPhone and iPad). The passwords I see on the Mac are the old ones prior to my changing them. I confirmed that they are all allegedly using the same vault. So, I'm confused. I thought about deleting the 1password on the mac and doing a fresh install. However, I'm using 6.5 on the Mac, so I don't know if that's the problem.
Thanks!
Sarang.

Comments

• Hi @4sb ,

Could you tell us a bit about your set up? What macOS version are you running on this iMac? How are you syncing? (i.e. a 1Password membership, Dropbox, or iCloud).

With that, we should be able to help you out.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• 4sb
    4sb
    Community Member

Kevin,
    I have macOS Mojave 10.14.2. I sync via dropbox.
    this is my 1password version:
    1Password
    Version 6.5.3 (653001)
    Mac App Store

Thanks,
    Sarang.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@4sb - thanks for the additional information. 6.5.3 had a problem due to some certificate issues and cannot be automatically updated to the latest (final) version of 1Password 6 for Mac (which is 6.8.9). To update, you'll need to:

1. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Also quit any running browsers.
    2. Delete 1Password 6 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
    3. Open the Mac App Store and click your name in the lower left corner; this will take you to your previous purchases/downloads. Locate 1Password and click Install -- this should give you 6.8.9, but you can verify it by launching the app and checking in 1Password > About.
    4. Check to see whether this makes any difference to your data discrepancy. It may very well not make any difference. If it doesn't, please click Preferences > Sync and jot down the **full file path of the sync keychain. Let me know what it is. Also: where/how did you change these few passwords/Logins, and how do you know they're not changed? Do you have other devices on which you run 1Password? If so, check these also, and see if the full sync file path in Dropbox matches the one from your iMac. Let me know what you discover.
  • 4sb
    4sb
    Community Member

Unfortunately, this didn't help.
    the file Paths are:
    on the MacBookAir its: sarang>dropbox>apps>1password>1password.agilekeychain
    on the iphones (2) and iPad it just states it's syncing with dropbox (no file path visible)

The 4 devices above are all syncing together, the iMac is not syncing with them, but used to.
    on the iMac, the file path is: sarang1>Dropbox>Apps>1password>1password.opvault

So, it appears to me, that the MacBookAir, iPhones and iPad are syncing to the agilekeychain file, but the iMac is syncing to opvault. how do I change this?

When I go in my Dropbox folders - under 1Password, there are just those 2 files.

Thanks!
    Sarang.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@4sb - thanks for confirming. I was pretty sure that might be the case, but you should upgrade to 6.8.9 anyway, so I'm glad we did that. If the newly changed items are all on the your iOS devices, then here's what I'd like you to do:

1. On every device, turn sync OFF (for now).
    2. On your iMac, in Finder, open your Dropbox folder and move both the Agile Keychain and the OPVault file out to your Mac's desktop. Make sure there are no other files in ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ that are named end in either .agilekeychain or .opvault. If there are, move those out to your Mac's desktop as well.
    3. On your iPhone, use these instructions to set up Dropbox syncing again. This will create a new OPVault file in ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ .
    4. On your iMac, in 1Password, make sure it's running but locked, then click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. This will remove all the data from within 1Password and the next time you launch 1Password, it will be as if you are a new user.
    5. When you re-launch 1Password for Mac on your iMac, choose the Dropbox option as your data source, and navigate to the OPVault you created Step 3, and use that to import and start syncing your data.
    6. On your iPad, in 1Password 7 for iOS, tap Settings > Advanced > Delete all 1Password Data - this will delete the data and quit 1Password. When you re-launch 1Password, follow the new-user prompts for Dropbox, and use the same OPVault file you did for the iMac.
    7. Repeat the above processes for any other iOS devices or Macs on which you run 1Password.

Let me know how that works for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.