Windows 10 authentication

Options

Is there a way to set Windows Hello to default authentication? It's a pain to use 1Password compared to before. I click the browser extension (Chrome) and it asks for authentication. I have to then click the Windows Hello option which defaults to the pin. That will timeout after a few seconds to finally show finger print.

This is too long of a process. Is there anyway to get the fingerprint option immediately? On iOS it allows us to login with FaceID immediately.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alamarco,

Thank you for using 1Password!

Could you please go to Windows Hello settings in Windows (press Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options) and check if you are able to change the default authentication method there?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg I don't see anything in the Windows Hello settings that point to a default, but my fingerprint is already default for signing into Windows. I can sign in immediately to Windows using my fingerprint. It's just 1Password where it requires me to do multiple clicks before I can use my fingerprint.

• @alamarco: First, you can just press enter in the Master Password field with it empty to summon Hello, so hopefully one click saved makes you feel better. As for defaulting to PIN, I ran into that once myself and it happened right after I got new glasses leading Hello to no longer recognize me 🙄 so I think it was connected to that failure and having to fall back on PIN for a bit. Any chance you experienced something similar? I had this issue with ALL apps (but not signing into Windows) when it hit me, so the fix was to disable Hello and set it up again, so I would give that a try. Given I had to do that anyway, thanks to the glasses issue, it wasn't a huge deal for me but in your case, I apologize for the fuss. I hope it works, though, and do let me know if it helps. 1Password should be asking for fingerprint first, just like everything else. :+1:

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tips. I'm away from my PC at the moment, but I'll give that a try and post back how it goes. Being able to press enter instead of clicking is a nice option, but it would still be more convenient if we could default to the Windows Hello option instead of having to click/enter. It's just an inconvenience to have to choose the type of login you want.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alamarco: Please let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.