Having trouble signing in after Sierra upgade

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

I just did a clean install of Sierra on my MacBook Pro. First thing I did was install Dropbox (where my 1Password data is stored). Next, I installed 1Password 4 from a zip I had. When I open the 1Password application, I'm asked for my email, secret key, and Master Password. I know my email and master password, but what is my secret key? I tried entering my license key, but that didn't work. Please help! I can't live without my 1Password. The installation seems much different than the last time I tried installing.

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: not sure
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Are you sure you are running 1PW4? It does seem likely from your description of how you installed, but a secret key should only exist with a subscription, and subscriptions were only introduced as an option with 1PW6, certainly not with 1PW4.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Just got this popup

Is this a free upgrade?

1Password Version: 4.4.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I'm running 1Password 4

This just popped up. It says I'm running version 4.

• @ajahn,

You say you're running 1Password 4, but you then mention secret key. 1Password 4 didn't support 1Password.com accounts so it wouldn't have had any prompt asking for a secret key. A secret key is part of a 1Password.com subscription account and not something that you'd have if you were using Dropbox for sync. You'll probably want to update to at least 1Password 6.8.9, which is the last version available to you under your 1Password 4 license. 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade or a subscription-based product.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

When I click on the 1Password 4 for the first time, after installing from a zip file I had (1Password-4.4.3.zip), I get the following window:

I click on "Sign In" and I get the following window:

Please help. I can't function without 1Passowrd on my browser!

• @ajahn,

As a 1Password 4 user the Sign in button isn't where you want to go at all. You want the Awesome! Let's Get Started button in the bottom right corner of the window. I believe the next thing you should see is setting up 1Password, at which point you would want to pick your Dropbox vault.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Well, how about that! :-)
    Worked like a charm! Thanks so much.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

One last question. It is asking if I want to upgrade to version 5. Is that a free upgrade?

• @ajahn,

6 is a free upgrade from 4. 7 is the paid upgrade.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

When I "Check for Updates" I get the 5.4.3 version. Do I need to upgrade to 5 before 6 will show up as an upgrade option?

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Nevermind. I'm installing 6.8.9 now. Thanks for the help

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Good to hear it ajahn. Take care. :)

This discussion has been closed.