Feature Request: Support text substitution/replacement

JBallin
JBallin
Community Member
edited April 2019 in Mac

I've created shortcuts so that I can type something like "omw" that becomes "On my way!". It works in Apple apps, such as Safari. Wondering if 1PWD could add support for this as well, so I can use a shortcut for my email. Would also be good on iPhone.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/23/set-up-text-substitution-in-mac-os-x/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:text substituion

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JBallin - I see you've adopted sjk's suggestion regarding macOS's text substitution abilities? I'm not sure if that post came after this one, or if you're asking for something in addition to what you said you're already doing?

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member

My other post was about filling in my email on sign up forms automatically using 1password. in the past I've also asked that 1password allow for a default email that is used for all new logins. but my newest idea is that you just support text replacement in your apps, if possible. I can't do it in the extension or in the desktop app. Not sure if that feature is open to third parties or not.

• @JBallin,

In order to allow text replacement inside of 1Password we'd have to forego Secure Input, which would expose 1Password to key logging. That seems like an unacceptable security risk for a slight gain in convenience. Secure Input keeps it such that no process other than 1Password can see what text is being entered. Because nothing can see what is being entered, it can't replace it when you type keywords.

Ben

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member

Makes sense! Thanks for clarifying that.

I still think there should be shortcuts for typing email addresses, but we’ve addressed that in a separate issue. Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's certainly something we can consider. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Sweet! Here’s the discussion I was referring to, but I think the Mac app should have it as well.

One cool implementation would be a button that opens a dropdown with all email addresses saved in 1pwd. Obviously we need to allow for editing (to add +whatever) after the fact.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/80283/reopening-auto-fill-email-on-1pwd-mobile-app

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know that's something you'd like us to work on in the future! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.