my chrome extension has intermittently stopped working after moving to 1Password 7

Community Member

since updating to the latest version of 1Password 7 my chrome extension has become unreliable. So yes if I restart my computer it fixes itself but this is not really a suitable solution. Happy to do this if it is once a month but not once per day I am doing too much to take the time out to do this. I have removed and reinstalled the extension this did not help

What do you suggest please?



1Password Version: Version 7.3 (70300020)
Extension Version:
OS Version: 10.14.5 (18F132)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:chrome


  • Ben

    Hi @panning

    I'm sorry to hear about the trouble keeping the Chrome extension working. To troubleshoot this situation I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

    Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

    Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to

    With your email please include:

    • A link to this thread:
    • Your forum username: panning

    That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

    You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

    Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!


  • panning
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

    The reference number supplied was #SIB-29315-123

  • ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

    @panning, thank you for the update! :)

    We have received your email and we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

    Thank you for your patience!

    ref: #SIB-29315-123

This discussion has been closed.