Updater finds TimeMachine backup?

thrint
thrint
Community Member

OK, first off this is a work PC that I use as a bit of a sandbox and it is running the Catalina public Beta...

1Password noticed that I had V7.3 and wanted to update me to v7.3.1. Fine, I allowed the download to proceed. Oddly enough it wanted to update the version on my TimeMachine backup which is mounted across the network from another Mac (not running beta software) on which the .sparseimage is located and mounted from.

I did a screen cap of the dialog box that 1Password presented an "extra copies of 1Password were found" dialog box with the location of the other version indicated with the options to update anyway or move the other version to the trash. Neither of which should be an option!

How about a "no update the version running from the /Applications folder" instead? Or an "ignore this app" or some such?

It shouldn't be updating TimeMachine backups, how do I make this stop?

thx

Steve

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• thrint
    thrint
    Community Member

This is the dialog box I got

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@thrint - yup, that's functioning as designed. If you've got a backups database actually mounted when you try to update 1Password, then the installer will likely pick up any copies there. The reason it exists is that the launchd process in macOS is a bit finicky - it will sometimes grab onto the first copy it can find and launch that, instead of the one you actually want (i.e. - the copy in /Applications). This can cause all sorts of problems/unpredictable behavior.

Unfortunately, we can't change a macOS system process, so what we recommend is that you exclude the 1Password app (not the data in your user library folder) from backups. It doesn't benefit you anyway, as the data and database structure is all in your Library folder anyway; even if you needed to restore from a backup, you could just download a fresh copy of whatever specific version of 1Password for Mac you need and continue right along.

Another way you can stop this is by not having backup drives mounted when you go to update 1Password. If 1Password performs an auto-update check, you can cancel it, dismount the backup/Time Machine drives, then manually check again and update. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but this isn't something that will be changing in the foreseeable future because we can't change it. Hope that helps! :)

• thrint
    thrint
    Community Member

Not having backup drives mounted is a bit of a non-starter, but just excluding the app from the backup and deleting the copy on the backup is an acceptable work-around, thx!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@thrint - you're quite welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.