Not getting "save this log-in" prompt

LucyView
LucyView
Community Member

Hello,
I've been trying to learn 1password and finding it very difficult. I thought I had it down, but suddenly now I'm not seeing any pop-ups asking me to save log-ins when I sign on to a site. And I don't know how to add a log-in or save a new password manually. What's causing this?

Also, I updated to the newest browser extension as instructed this morning. However, when I open 1password, I still see the prompt asking me to update. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

1Password Version: 1Password7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LucyView!

What's causing this?

Can you confirm that you installed the 1Password browser extension in your browser of choice? I noticed you didn't include extension information in your first post, so I wonder if that's the reason why you are not seeing the popup (the prompt to save comes from the browser extension).

However, when I open 1password, I still see the prompt asking me to update.

Can you please post a screenshot of the update message that you see?

• LucyView
    LucyView
    Community Member

Hello! Thank you for your reply. I am running Version
    4.7.5.90 of the browser extension.

As for the update message, that is now gone. It disappeared after I quit the program and restarted, so that's fine.

However, I am still having various other issues:

1. I get the "save login" prompt inconsistently. I just saved a login and then changed the password successfully on one site. But then when I tried the next one (my gmail), I didn't get the popup to prompt me. So how do I save the login for that site "manually," and why doesn't the system work consistently?
    2. Until yesterday every time I completed this process for a site, I ended up with both a password AND a login saved on 1password. Now suddenly on the last two sites I saved, there is no password entry being created--just login entries. Why would that be, and does it matter?

Thank again! We have a family account--and all of us are having trouble learning this program. We are not sure whether we want to continue beyond the free trial.

• Hello! Thank you for your reply. I am running Version
    4.7.5.90 of the browser extension.

That is the latest version, so that rules that out. :) Could you also please check in 1Password for Mac under Preferences > Browsers and make sure that both the option for "always keep 1Password extension helper running" and "detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them" are checked?

As for the update message, that is now gone. It disappeared after I quit the program and restarted, so that's fine.

I'm glad to hear that got sorted. :+1:

I get the "save login" prompt inconsistently. I just saved a login and then changed the password successfully on one site. But then when I tried the next one (my gmail), I didn't get the popup to prompt me. So how do I save the login for that site "manually," and why doesn't the system work consistently?

I'd recommend checking that the preferences are set as mentioned above. If you're seeing the prompt in most cases but not for some sites you can manually save a new login for those sites using the browser extension:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

Until yesterday every time I completed this process for a site, I ended up with both a password AND a login saved on 1password. Now suddenly on the last two sites I saved, there is no password entry being created--just login entries. Why would that be, and does it matter?

You should only have a Login item if everything goes according to plan. When you use the password generator it saves a Password item, but that item should be cleaned up when you save that password onto a Login item. The Password items are there primarily as a backup, so if something happens and you don't end up saving the password to a Login item you still have a record of it.

If you used the password generator and can't find the password to sign in

Thank again! We have a family account--and all of us are having trouble learning this program. We are not sure whether we want to continue beyond the free trial.

I'm confident we can work through these snags so that you can feel confident in continuing past the trial. :)

Ben

• LucyView
    LucyView
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your helpful response. I checked the preferences, and I do have "always keep 1Password extension helper running" and "detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them" checked. So that's not an issue.

OK, it helps to now have the instructions for creating logins. I tried it with the Gmail, and it worked. But after I changed the password, I didn't get the second prompt asking me if I wanted to replace the first password saved in the login. So after that I went to that saved password login and cut and pasted the correct password into the login. What am I doing wrong that is making all of this necessary?

As far as "cleaning up" and removing unneeded password entries, that usually doesn't happen automatically (except for those two recent times I told you about). Again, if that's because I did something wrong on all those entries, I don't know what it was. Should I go in and remove all those password entries now that the logins match? And what did you mean by "save that password onto a Login item"? Is that supposed to happen automatically?

Too many steps! But, again, thank you.

• @LucyView

And what did you mean by "save that password onto a Login item"? Is that supposed to happen automatically?

When you either save a login manually (using the guide I posted above) or save one as a result of a prompt from 1Password to do so, using the password that was generated, that is when the cleanup should happen. Yes, you can also manually clean up items in the 'passwords' category if they are redundant.

What am I doing wrong that is making all of this necessary?

I'm not sure I have the answer to that at this point. To get a better idea I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106143/not-getting-save-this-log-in-prompt#latest
    • Your forum username: LucyView

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.