1P compatibility between new and old Macs

mpi
mpi
Community Member

Currently using 1P 6 on an MBA / MacOS 10.14.6 and a 2009 iMac using El Capitan, which cannot be upgraded to a later OS. Syncing via Dropbox. Need to move to 1P version 7 because of the Safari 13 problem, but I see that the archive will have a new format, and that 1P version 7 is only compatible with Sierra on. Will the upgrade break the compatibility I've been enjoying? What do you suggest?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6 / 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mpi - I'm not sure what you mean by "the archive will have a new format," but as far as I know, you cannot install Safari 13 onto OS X 10.11 (“El Capitan") anyway, which means you won't face that issue there. You can continue using 1Password 6 for Mac - for now, though that may change in the future - on your 2009-era iMac, syncing via Dropbox, and install 1Password 7 for Mac onto your MacBook Air, which will allow you to make use of Safari 13.

Am I missing something? What are you worried won't work?

• mpi
    mpi
    Community Member

Sorry, Lars – should have said vault, not archive. The page about upgrading says "When you open 1Password 7 the first time, it will convert older vaults to the newer OPVault format". I assumed that is a format that 1P version 6 cannot access. If it can, then there's no problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mpi - oh, that -- what that refers to is the format of the sync keychain. Your actual vault (within the 1Password apps) is an encrypted SQLite file in your Library folder. But if you use Dropbox or Folder Sync to sync your data, then in the past, that would have been written in Agile Keychain format (that's what you can see in your Dropbox folder). But as of version 7, we retired Agile Keychain in favor of its smaller, more robust successor, OPVault. That's what that message refers to. And yes, 1Password 6 for Mac can use OPVault just as well as 1Password 7 for Mac -- in fact, every version since 1Password 5 for Mac can use OPVault. We've even got a guide for switching. If you're doing it in the context of upgrading, it will be taken care of for you automatically on that Mac...just don't forget to switch to the new version on other devices (see instructions at that link). Let mw know if you have any questions! :)

• mpi
    mpi
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks, Lars. I'll see how it goes

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.