1password support on older Macs

Options
rmhinden
rmhinden
Community Member

I have been running 1Password 6 since it first came out. I have a family plan and run it on MacOS, Windows 10, and iOS. I sync the password vault with Dropbox. With the change to Safari 13, I see I need to upgrade to 1Password 7.

While not happy about that, I am willing to upgrade. The problem is that one of my Macs is running MacOS 10.11. This version of MacOS is not supported by 1Password 7. I am not going to purchase a new system to just run 1password.

Can 1Password 6 on MacOS 10.11 share a password vault with 1Password 7 on other systems via Dropbox?

Thanks,
Bob

1Password Version: 6 & 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @rmhinden! Yep, it's not the version number that matters (unless you're running a truly ancient version of 1Password, which you shouldn't be), it's the sync type. OS X 10.11 (“El Capitan") will allow you to install 1Password 6 for Mac and you'll be able to use Dropbox there just as you can on your newer Mac running Safari 13 over (presumably) macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”).

There is one caveat, which is that in 1Password 7 for Mac, the older style of Dropbox sync keychain called Agile Keychain has been retired and can no longer be used. It's been replaced by it's smaller, more robust successor OPVault (which has been out nearly five years already!). If you were using an Agile Keychain, then it's time to switch -- and in fact, if you've already made the change to 1Password 7 on one of your Macs, then you've already been prompted to make this change. If not, here are instructions for how to upgrade to OPVault. There's no charge to do this, but once you make the switch on one device, you must switch over on ALL of them, to stay in sync. Let us know if you have any questions.

• rmhinden
    rmhinden
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,

I am running 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) on the MacOS 10.11 system. If I understand what you are saying (and read the instructions), as long as the password vault is in OPVault format, I can run 1Password 6.8.8 and 7 at the same time. Is that correct?

Also, how can I tell if I am using the OPSVault format now. Since I am currently running 6.8.9 now, it could be in the OPVault format now.

Thanks,
    Bob

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rmhinden - just look in 1Password > Preferences > Sync -- it should tell you the exact location -- and format -- of your vault's keychain.

• rmhinden
    rmhinden
    Community Member
    Options

It is

Dropbox/1password/1Password.agilekeychain

Which format is that? I don't see any mention of the format type?

Thanks,
    Bob

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rmhinden - it's Agile Keychain; the format is the same as the file type. Please follow the instructions I gave in my earlier reply to switch over to the OPVault format first, because 1Password 7 for Mac requires it. You'll then need to make sure to switch your other devices to using the OPVault as well. Let me know if you have any troubles.

• rmhinden
    rmhinden
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, will do.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.