Drag and fill app logins works with Mini -- but why not when pinned to screen?

syncrasy
syncrasy
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Mac

I just upgraded my 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 (standalone app, not a membership).

Regarding the "drag and fill logins for apps" functionality...

This appears to work only when the 1Password mini panel is (temporarily) opened from the Mac task bar (i.e., not when Pin to Screen is used). The problem is that the mini panel snaps closed between drags (when you drag a user name to the app, the mini panel closes so you have to reopen it to then drag the password). This is tedious. Wouldn't it make more sense to enable "drag and fill logins for apps" while the 1PW mini is pinned to screen so that you can drag multiple login items without having to reopen the mini panel each time? Or am I missing something?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Folder

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @syncrasy!

Can you please give us the steps that you are following exactly so we can try to reproduce this?

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

I thought my description was clear, but here are details...

Working (but tedious) method:

1. Open an app that requires login, e.g., Apple iTunes (Account > View My Account) or Skype login screen.
    2. Drag the app window off to the side to make room for the 1PW mini panel
    3. Click the 1PW mini icon in the task bar. The 1PW mini panel opens (but is attached to the taskbar). The app login/password info should be displayed in 1PW mini. If not search for it.
    4. Drag the username from 1PW to the app username field (you can see the green "+" sign indicating that it's draggable). After you drag the username, the 1PW mini panel closes automatically.
    5. Click the 1PW mini icon in the task bar again. The 1PW mini panel opens.
    6. Drag the password from 1PW to the app the same way you dragged the username. The 1PW mini panel closes automatically.
    7. Done

Suggested better method (that currently does not work):

1. Same as above
    2. Same as above
    3. Same as above
    4. In the 1PW mini panel, click Pin to Screen. This separates the mini panel from the task bar so you can move it around.
    5. Try dragging the username or password from the 1PW mini panel to the app. It does not work (no green "+" sign, items are not draggable).

I suggest you allow dragging behavior while the mini is "pinned" to screen. That would seem to be an obvious use of a pinned mini panel. It would also have the advantage of allowing you to drag the 1PW mini panel off to the side instead of the app login window.

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

[deleted by author]

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @syncrasy - thanks for the updated and expanded set of steps. In your step #3, I would use ⌥⌘\ to open the 1Password mini at the last place you left it on the screen, instead of pinned to the menubar. You can also drag the mini away from the menubar, if you prefer using the click-menubar-icon option.

In your step #4, I am unable to replicate this behavior: "After you drag the username, the 1PW mini panel closes automatically." Not on my setup. The mini remains -- though it will disappear if/when you press "enter" or "submit" to move from one screen (username) to the next (password). This is a function of how the apps themselves are set up, not of 1Password. If both username and password are available on the same screen, you'll be able to drag each one, then click "Submit" (or whatever) -- at least, I was able to do so.

I do see your point about being able to drag/drop from a pinned window as well -- and I'll raise that issue internally. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. :)

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Lars, thanks for the reply. Regarding step #4, you are correct about the app vs 1Password. I had forgotten that I was entering the username on one screen (Skype), then clicking Next, then entering the password on a separate screen.

I wasn't aware of the keyboard shortcut for the Mini window, or that it would display a Mini window unpinned from the menu bar. So now I know there are three "modes" for the Mini window: 1) attached to the menu bar (click icon), 2) detached from the menu bar (use keyboard shortcut), and 3) "Pinned to screen" (open and click button). In the Skype scenario (two separate login screens) Mini window modes #1 and #2 both disappear if you click away, so I don't think #2 is inherently better than #1; both involve activating the Mini panel twice, and I'm not sure a keyboard shortcut is any faster than the menu bar click because you still have to use your mouse to drag the panel off to the side (to not cover the Skype app window) and to perform the drag and fill. For a single screen login app (e.g., Apple iTunes), modes #1 or #2 are probably superior to mode #3 (Pinned to Screen). But in the Skype scenario (two separate login screens), I would argue that drag/drop for Mini mode #3 (Pinned to Screen) would be more efficient, so I appreciate your considering the idea of enabling drag and drop in mode #3 (i.e., all modes of Mini).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@syncrasy - I'm going to have to take a mulligan on this one. After filing an issue internally regarding it (which followed me confirming that drag/drop didn't appear to be working in "popped out" windows), four of us were later unable to confirm this behavior. I was under the impression it was supposed to work -- which is why I was a bit surprised to hear you say that it did not work and even more surprised to (apparently) confirm it. I'm now wondering what might have happened in my own testing, because I can now confidently and consistently drag both username and password fields from "popped out" (pinned to screen) windows into websites or anywhere else, for that matter:

One issue -- which you'll see me demonstrate in the above GIF -- is that you can't expect to click and drag directly from the actual text of the username or password itself -- try moving over just a bit into the blank space. Let me know what you discover. :)

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member

Lars, thanks for the video. I can confirm that it works in "pinned" mode as you describe. I really thought I had tested this thoroughly (including clicking over into the blank space), so unless Agilebits pushed out a secret fix, I can only conclude that my test was flawed. Perhaps my test was influenced by the fact that the "pinned" mode of the Mini window doesn't have a hover indicator like the other modes to make it clear that the entire rectangle is draggable (i.e., the draggable rectangle is highlighted in blue in modes #1 and #2). It looks like the UI of pinned mode is designed to resemble the UI of the full 1PW app, rather than the UI for the other modes. Is there a functional purpose for not including the hover indicator in pinned mode?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

@syncrasy - nah, no "secret fix," LOL -- we don't do such things, and besides: you'd have seen an update from us if we'd tried to do that. I'm going to call this one resolved for now, but definitely keep an eye on things and let us know if the problem recurs. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.