Different mac laptops running 1password 7.3.2, one uses dropbox and another 1password.com

philserve
philserve
Community Member

I have two mac laptops using 1password7 7.3.2 (70302004), one uses dropbox for the authoritative source, and also has a Sync menu in the preferences dialog (Mojave), and another seems to use 1password.com for the authoritative source and doesn't have a Sync menu (Sierra). This 1password7 upgrade is such a mess. I'd rather use dropbox for the source, since that has been working for me for years and holds all latest passwords.How can I reconcile these two apps to use the same source?

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302004) both
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 both
OS Version: OS Sierra and Mojave
Sync Type: dropbox, 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:one mac laptop uses dropdox and another uses password.com, both on 1password7, how to fix this?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @philserve! It sounds from your description as if you've created a 1Password account on one device and left your Dropbox setup intact on the other. Can I ask: on the device that's using Dropbox, do you see in the main 1Password window a Read Only badge on your items, up near the top-right of the item? If so, that means you won't be able to add, edit or delete any 1Password data or use the browser extension. If you _don't _ see that Read Only badge, and you can add/delete data, the you must have a standalone license for version 7 as well as the 1Password account. Can you let me know the status?

Regarding Dropbox vs 1password.com, our recommendation is the latter, for many reasons. A 1Password account is the easiest and most secure/stable way to use 1Password today for the vast majority of users. However, both methods are available. Let me know what you discover, and which direction you'd like to pursue, and I can help you get transitioned.

• philserve
    philserve
    Community Member

I don't see any read-only icon on my dropbox version. Not sure what standalone means, since it does connect to dropbox and work fine, as well as my cell phone version, unless standalone means 'not connected to 1password.com'.

I don't mind going to the 1password.com only source as along I have a path to move the dropbox based vaults into the 1password.com vaults, as they are the ultimate source for me. Please advise on how to proceed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@philserve: It's "standalone" in the sense that you purchase that version specifically, and use local vaults to store your data; whereas a 1Password membership is a service that includes all versions, and everything is seamlessly linked together through your account.

But yeah, I wouldn't you to have to start over from scratch either! You can definitely move everything to a 1Password membership account. This guide will take you through signing up, migrating the data, and setting up your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And if you have any questions along the way, just let us know. We're here for you. :)

• philserve
    philserve
    Community Member

Ok, I found out how to copy vault data to 1password.com and remove dropbox vaults. You an close this out.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.