When is the Emergency Kit Used

Options
drohr
drohr
Community Member

I have my regular password and also my Emergency Kit. I am confused over when I would use the emergency kit vs just using my regular password. What would prompt use of the secret key and master password?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac Catalina
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:When would I use my secret key or emergency kit

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drohr!

Anytime you want to login on a new device (or a new browser), you will need all the information included in the Emergency Kit. Only devices where you have previously already authenticated will ask you just for your Master Password.

• drohr
    drohr
    Community Member
    Options

So in theory if I was not around and had given permission, my son could use the computer I use 1PW on to access my vaults if I provided him my password? I am setting up some trust plans and getting info in order for him to be able to access key info.

I also just downloaded the new PW7 due to some issues I was having with the previous 7 version. I ironically it is asking me for all the info from my emergency Kit. That has never happened before when I updated and I am on same Mac. Is that normal?

Also the app extension is not opening when I bring up a sign on page......even after I click on it several times. Sorry to lump these items together

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drohr:

So in theory if I was not around and had given permission, my son could use the computer I use 1PW on to access my vaults if I provided him my password? I am setting up some trust plans and getting info in order for him to be able to access key info.

Yes, if you give them your account credentials, he will be able to access your account.

I also just downloaded the new PW7 due to some issues I was having with the previous 7 version. I ironically it is asking me for all the info from my emergency Kit. That has never happened before when I updated and I am on same Mac. Is that normal?

Updating the app does not require you to login to your account again: once it's added to the app, you won't have to login again there. But if you install the app from scratch, then you will be asked to login, so this is normal :)

Also the app extension is not opening when I bring up a sign on page......even after I click on it several times. Sorry to lump these items together

Let's see why this is happening to you. What browser is this happening with? And what version of the 1Password extension are you currently using?

• drohr
    drohr
    Community Member
    Options

Item 1 - Thank you

Item 2 - This happened when I signed into Safari (online web based 1PW) after downloading new version of 1PW. I have not likely signed in through safari in some time since Usually use the app on Mac and other devices. I was able to sign in just fine using secret key and master PW. I printed the emergency kit once again as it prompted me because I was not sure if the secret key changes from the original one I had??. I have the original one and do not wish to confuse them so hopefully it stayed the same (I have not looked)

Item 3 - This is happening with Safari and I am using version 7.4.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

@drohr:

Item 2 - This happened when I signed into Safari (online web based 1PW) after downloading new version of 1PW. I have not likely signed in through safari in some time since

You will be require to authenticate in a browser every now and then, especially after some major updates or if you have cleared the cookies, so this is normal.

Usually use the app on Mac and other devices. I was able to sign in just fine using secret key and master PW. I printed the emergency kit once again as it prompted me because I was not sure if the secret key changes from the original one I had??.

The Secret Key doesn't change, unless you decided to generate a new one. If you didn't, the Secret Key will be the same as the one you got when you created your account. Downloading a new copy of the Emergency Kit is not a bad idea though, so you are guaranteed to have the most recent copy with the correct information ;)

Item 3 - This is happening with Safari and I am using version 7.4.1

Does this also happen if you use the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut when you are on the page, instead of clicking on the browser extension icon in Safari?

• drohr
    drohr
    Community Member
    Options

It works fine with the shortcut and seems to be working ok now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @drohr! I am glad to hear this. Please let us know if you notice this again and we can take another look :)

This discussion has been closed.