1Password slow [when Touch ID is enabled]

Options
Samplex
Samplex
Community Member
edited November 2020 in Mac

When i click on the 1Password icon in de menubar or in the browser it takes some seconds before the 1password trying to unlock/touch id window popup shows. Normally this was instant but now i have to wait and is very annoying. How to make this instant again?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Samplex!

What version of 1Password for Mac is this happening with, and on what macOS version?

• CopperTower
    CopperTower
    Community Member
    Options

I am also experiencing this on two macs. I am using 1Password 7.7 on both macOS 10.15.7 (MacBook Pro 15" 2017) with Firefox and 11.0.1 (MacBook Pro 13" 2019) with Safari.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Samplex, @CopperTower:

Thank you for the confirmation. I wonder if this is something temporary. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Is 1Password mini more responsive now?

• CopperTower
    CopperTower
    Community Member
    Options

I shut my macs down each night, and it’s always slow.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Samplex, @CopperTower:

Thank you both for the confirmation! We can certainly take a closer look at why this is happening to you. Can you please follow the instructions here to email us some logs?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Samplex:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: UPS-46357-876

• crz
    crz
    Community Member
    Options

same here, no matter if unlock with apple watch is enabled or not.

• Marco Van de Water
    Options

When 1Password is locked it takes about 5 seconds before the unlock window pops-up to enter password or unlock by touch-id. When 1password was unlocked already it opens almost instantaneous. How can this be fixed?

1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700015)
    1Password Store

MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (on Catalina I experienced the same issue)

1Password Version: 7,7
    Extension Version: 7.7
    OS Version: MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Marco Van de Water
    Marco Van de Water
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

I have the same. Both on Catalina en Big Sur the unlock is slow (5 seconds)

• smatsumoto_polo
    smatsumoto_polo
    Community Member
    Options

Some of our users are reporting that 1Password is very slow to unlock; upwards of 5 seconds. It's fine for me, but there is a group of people that have been complaining.

• smatsumoto_polo
    smatsumoto_polo
    Community Member
    Options

Some of our users are reporting that 1Password is very slow to unlock; upwards of 5 seconds. It's fine for me, but there is a group of people that have been complaining.

1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700015)
    1Password Store

• Marco Van de Water
    Marco Van de Water
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

Worth to mention: It is slow when unlock with touch-id is enabled. When unlock is set to password, it is fast.

• smatsumoto_polo
    smatsumoto_polo
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700015)
    1Password Store

• Ben
    Options

Hi all,

Is this happening with the main 1Password window (e.g. launched from the Dock), or 1Password mini (e.g. launched from the menu bar or within your browser), or both?

Ben

• shaodahong
    shaodahong
    Community Member
    Options

Same, both, when unlock or open app/chrome extension, extra safari extension

• Marco Van de Water
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for looking into this. It happens on both.

Startup times (estimated):
    when unlocked: < 1 sec
    when locked with touch id OFF: < 1 sec
    when locked with touch id ON: around 5 seconds

Let me know if I you need more information. I already did a clean install of 1Password.

• rjinski
    rjinski
    Community Member
    Options

Similar issues here. Both the 1Password mini, browser extension and 1password is slow to load. Very noticeable when using the keyboard shortcut CMD+ALT+\ to load passwords when 1Password is locked. (Only slow when locked). I have finger print enabled.

1Password 7.7 (70700015)
    macOS Catalina 10.15.7

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my name to the list of people having this issue. 1Password was lightning fast before the latest update. I have Touch ID and the option to unlock with Apple Watch enabled. I tried disabling the Apple Watch option, but 1Password is still slow to appear when locked with Touch ID enabled. As others have said, disabling Touch ID makes 1Password open and unlock fast. Re-enabling Touch ID makes it take around 4 seconds for 1Password to open and then another 4 seconds for it to unlock after accepting my finger print.

I've always had Touch ID enabled and never experienced this issue, even when on macOS Big Sur. It was only until after the latest 1Password update that I began experiencing any issues.

1Password 7.7 (70700015)
    macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29)

• Ben
    Options

I'm sorry to hear about the slowness. To troubleshoot this issue, I'd like to get a diagnostic report and process sample from 1Password on your computer. The next time the issue occurs, please do the following:

1. Open Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder of your Applications folder, or use Spotlight to find it.
    2. Search for "1Password 7".
    3. Select it and choose "Sample Process" from the Gear icon in the toolbar.
    4. When it is finished, save the sample to a file.
    5. Note the time

Step 3 in particular needs to be done while the issue is occurring. A sample is a "snapshot in time," so to speak, so it will only be helpful if it is taken during the issue. This will give us insight into what 1Password is doing, which will help our development team better understand the problem. Along with the sample, it would be helpful to have a diagnostic report. To generate one please see these instructions:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/116988/1password-slow
    • Your forum username
    • The sample file saved in step 4
    • The time noted in step 5

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here. Thanks!

Ben

• Marco Van de Water
    Options

Hi Ben,

I send the info you asked to both support+forum@agilebits.com and support@agilebits.com. I did not receive a support ID (yet). I will post it as soon as I get it.

Also worth to mention: When I cancel the touch id question, it takes a couple of seconds for the 1Password window to make the Password field active.

Kind regards,
    Marco

• Marco Van de Water
    Marco Van de Water
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi Ben,

I did receive a Suport Id number. I trust you can find the email I send to support+forum@agilebits.com and support@agilebits.com.

Kind regards,
    Marco

ref: KYR-65462-736

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing this too since 1Password 7.7 on macOS.

But it's not just slow to unlock - lots of things are slow: saving changes to items, switching vaults, waking up 1Password mini, etc - these actions make the app beachball for about 5 seconds during which the app is unusable.

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

My support ID number is SZZ-27393-576.

Thanks,
    David

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DavidLevine:

Thank you! I see your report in the system. We will take a look and continue the conversation via email :+1:

ref: SZZ-27393-576

This discussion has been closed.